Thinking about buying in Rethymnon?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Sallyb

Thinking about buying in Rethymnon?

Postby Sallyb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:11 pm

I am new to this forum so was wondering if anyone had any tips on buying an old stone house in the old part of Rethymnon? We are just at the beginning of the process so just trying to get as much details as possible. We are looking at renovation projects as my husband is a builder. Thinking of using a construction company linked to an estate agent and then my husband finishing it off. We are over late September for viewings but plan on going out again in November to see what it is like in the winter. We just want somewhere to go to four times a year and for friends and family to use. Are we mad to be planning this or not?

mouche

Re: Thinking about buying in Rethymnon?

Postby mouche » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:32 pm

I wiould suggest you contact this company; https://www.kretaeiendom.com/properties ... &loadseq=1

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:52 pm

When you say "an old stone house in the old part of Rethymnon" I'm assuming you mean the old city itself, not in the wider nomos? And I'm wondering how extensively you've researched the idea, because it wouldn't be everyone's idea of location for a home. To be honest, it wouldn't be mine, and I know the place pretty well.

When the American anthropologist Michael Herzfeld was researching his book about the old town (A Place in History, published by Princeton University Press in 1991) he found that many of the residents longed to move out to the modern, airy developments of the new town like Kalithea because their lifestyle was inhibited by suffocating planning restrictions.

That book was published a quarter of a century ago and I don't know what is the current situation re planning, but it does look as if the conservationists are winning a long-running battle: the historic infrastructure is remarkably intact and one suspects that it may be at the expense of people living in those narrow streets.

You can't move for tourists in those streets in summer, when it can get swelteringly hot in the old town. The drainage system is ancient and inadequate, and the town is seriously smelly. When I first knew the city, there were several "proper" shops to service the locals. One by one they have given way to boutiques and cafes.

Also in the summer, those streets are mostly closed to traffic. So you need to consider how easily you are going to be able to remove rubble from your old stone house, or to import building materials. Will there be restrictions on the noise your workers can make? How possible will it be to park your car near your house? How far will you have to carry the weekly shop, given that there is only one small supermarket in the the old town itself? When it comes to restoring/building your house, are you going to be prevented by planning restrictions from adding some of the features you'd like?

There's a lot to consider and you certainly need expert advice. The company recommended by Mouche is well established in the old town itself, and I'd also recommend http://domisidevelopment.gr/en/

It may be that you particularly like the idea of a house in an urban environment, but I'd urge you to look further afield, to some of the old villages in the Rethymno hinterland which have fine old Turkish houses for restoration - plus fresh air and a sea view!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:03 pm

I would second Clio's comments both regarding the location and the recommendation of Domisi Developments. We got them to show us properties when we were first looking on Crete and they seemed very professional, which is not always the case. In the end we didn't buy from them, because we couldn't find a location we liked in the Rethymon area, but would have happily used them if we had.

Warwick

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi Sally ,

we have a house in the the wider Rethymnon area up in the hills behind Panormo . Owned it since 2004 when we bought via Nikos at Euroimmo .
http://www.euroimmo.gr/. He is a great guy and maintained contact with him and would recommend you have a look at what he has available as well . He has a construction engineering side to the business his son is a civil engineer. We used our property for holidays since 2004 and are now just moving over end of September so will be in Crete then . Nikos was featured on an episode of Place in the Sun donkey' years ago ( if you forgive the stereotyping pun !)
Anyway I would suggest you are not mad to do this Reth is a lovely city and love it there though personally enjoy the quieter life in the country

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:27 am

Suggest you speak to these people:-

http://polyergo.gr/index.php?r=site/profile

They have recently completed the renovation of several properties in Rethymno Old Town, principles Stavros Polchronakis and son Yiannis Polychronakis are personal friends who have built for me, they offer complete service from identification of property, design, planning and build or any combination of these elements.

Peter

Sallyb

Postby Sallyb » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments. We are just at the researching stage so we will contact the companies recommended in September when we are over and talk to them in person and view some properties both in and around Rethymnon.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Great place, Rethymnon. We had a couple of nights in Casa Moazzo in the centre of town last week. Like Clio says it is crowded at this time of year - reminded me of Venice in that respect - and the drainage is rubbish. I’ve always thought we might move to there or Chania when we are older and need to be near facilities without driving but a few nights there while having a house in the middle of nowhere with space and no hoardes of people is fine until then. Whatever you do, get a good lawyer if you buy; makes all the difference. Kostas Nikolantonakis ( info@propertylaw.gr) has been good for us for the last 18 years

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 pm

I think you'll find that Kostas doesn't work in Rethimno. He's been our lawyer since 1998 but when we were thinking of buying in Rethimno several years ago he said the way the closed shop* works he couldn't be involved but could recommend a friend there. Maybe things have changed. If he does now work further east you won't find anyone better.

*That wasn't his description but that's what it boiled down to. Everyone sticking to their own patch.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:36 pm

It is certainly true that lawyers are registered in a particular Nomos and can only represent people in court in that Nomos. They can give advice outside their registered Nomos but not practise.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”