Change Of Heart?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Brian

Change Of Heart?

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Just an observation. I wonder, is there a basic sea-change amongst Brexiteers. Many original Brexit protagonists of my acquaintance are now claiming that this proposed hard Brexit or Cliff-edge is not what they voted for and certainly was not what the Leave campaign promised.
I have detected a reluctance by the former hard Brexiteers on here to engage constructively on the vista that now presents itself.
I appreciate it is difficult to step down from the high moral ground, but I think it incumbent on those that have had a change of heart regarding the attritional damage Brexit will wreak on Britain and to a lesser extent the EU should not be shy in saying so.
Last edited by Brian on Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Re: Change Of Heart?

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Sorry Brian but one thread on Brexit annoys a significant number of forum members, including, I would imagine, the owner.. I think starting a second is a bad idea. At least the other thread started with an issue of genuine concern, although it has drifted. This one doesn't

Warwick

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Now now Warwick, so the basic criteria is not to annoy people!
I appreciate the forum is extremely busy and congested, and have many many other issues to debate and discuss, so on that basis I apologise for taking up so much valuable space and being passionate about one of the greatest self imposed economic catastrophies heading towards Britain and EU.
If more people in the UK were as passionate about the subject pre- referendum we may not be in the mire we're now in.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:17 pm

The point is, Brian, that the forum is set up to discuss matters relevant to living in Crete and Carol has made that point many times. Brexit as such is nothing to do with living in Crete. The specific issue of how Brexit affects UK ex-pats rights is relevant and has been allowed, including a lot of leeway on drift. Much of the longer thread is not really relevant to that issue. The subject of how people's views have changed or not is not really relevant to living in Crete. I feel strongly about very many things but I at least try not to post on here about them unless there is some relevance. I have certainly made posts on the longer thread that are not relevant to living in Crete but I have tried to limit them to correcting factual information.

You must do as you see fit. My comment was simply a polite suggestion. I would at least delete the repeat post.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:45 pm

This is an interesting philosophical conundrum, isn't it?

Should we debate the topic of Brexit on "Living In Crete", when the topic itself challenges the very ability of the British contingent of posters on "Living in Crete" to actually continue living in Crete?

Hmmm....

:lol:
----
Phil
----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:50 pm

We should debate that part of the topic that does challenge the ability of the British contingent to continue living in Crete and not the rest of what is a very big topic and is totally irrelevant to living in Crete. Seems quite logical to me? I must confess to not sticking absolutely to that rule but mea culpa.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:12 pm

BRIAN WROTE
If more people in the UK were as passionate about the subject pre- referendum we may not be in the mire we're now in.

What make you think that those of us who voted leave were not passionate about the subject?. The problem with those who voted to remain the very expensive club is that they are all throwing their toys out of their prams. Why,? because the vote went against them. Now they want another referendum. So, is the rule in the future to be, if you did not vote for the winning Party there should be another vote? Live with it and stop moaning.
The current problem now is that most of those in the Civil Service, who told many ,lies during the run up to the referendum are screwing up the rules for leaving the Club.
The Major problem of the leave negotiations is that the overpaid Civil Servants and the weak Government could not organise a piss-up in a brewery.
For many reasons the Leave vote was correct. Hopefully we will once again own our own fishing fields. We will once again have our own court and maybe be able to throw out the immigrant undesirables who all take their case to Europe and win, Human Rights.
Also No I am not selfish as another thread mentioned, I did not vote for me, but for the future of my Children and Grand Children.
Stop being pessimistic, look on the bright side be optimistic.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 pm

, I only hope your children can swim. That iceberg is approaching rapidly.
Only for the EU, and its quota the UK - if it continued on its pre EU entry fisheries policy (sic) - would have no fish left in their indigenous fishing grounds. Of course, if all else fails there's always Icelandic waters!

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Brian, just in case this wasn't clear to you...this forum is about living in Crete, not Brexit. You already started one thread on Brexit, do we really need a second one?

Graeme

Postby Graeme » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Jean wrote:Brian, just in case this wasn't clear to you...this forum is about living in Crete, not Brexit. You already started one thread on Brexit, do we really need a second one?

I’ve been a silent member for some years now as I have Parkinson’s which makes it incredibly difficult to write, however I will search deep within to find the strength to add to those esteemed members who have clearly stated their sensible point of view.

NO Jean we don’t

Graeme

Postby Graeme » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Kilkis wrote:Sorry Brian but one thread on Brexit annoys a significant number of forum members, including, I would imagine, the owner.. I think starting a second is a bad idea. At least the other thread started with an issue of genuine concern, although it has drifted. This one doesn't

Warwick

Well said

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Ok Jean, I give way. I will delete this thread a little later.
At least it energised Graeme to respond after so many years, for that we may be thankful.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:21 pm

It's a shame we can't shut you up at the same time as we encourage Graeme.

Philb

Postby Philb » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 am

filippos wrote:It's a shame we can't shut you up at the same time as we encourage Graeme.

Said like a true Brexiter Filippos.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Philb wrote:
filippos wrote:It's a shame we can't shut you up at the same time as we encourage Graeme.
Said like a true Brexiter Filippos.

Only fools make crass assumptions. You have no idea whether I voted stay or go, was disenfranchised after 15+ years outwith the UK, like Bob Scott or even abstained. My comment was really to do with closed minds on one side of any debate where one party has reached their conclusion and simply refuses to accept that any other view has validity and anyone who has a different opinion is stupid. Such people often throws out gratuitous insults in an attempt to close down argument. In those circumstances I refuse to engage and waste my breath and time.

Return to “General Discussion & News”