Water Shortage

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Re: Water Shortage

Postby bobscott » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:44 am

TweetTweet wrote:Am I to understand that filling the pool with drinkingwater for which I'm paying is illegal? Same for watering the garden?

According to a mid aged Greek friend with connections to the water company, first fill of the pool should be by tanker. Top up via house water is accepted. Watering a garden is accepted.

Obviously it is much cheaper to take the drinking water e.g. 6 euro versus maybe 80 euro. What I don’t *get* is WHY (for the sake of the relatively small amount of money involved) anyone believes it is ok to use an essential resource in this way? I don’t get *that collective morality*.

In the Kalyves area, tanker water is taken from the Kyliaris river,

My understanding is exactly what your Greek friend said. From an environmental viewpoint, if the water can be taken from the river (by tanker) that is better than turning on the tap outside your house. Provided of course that bowsers fill up from the river below any water collection mechanism. In the case of Kalyves, that's probably OK - the water just runs from Armenoi to the sea! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 am

The water shortage is very scary ...the only advantage is I don't have to wash the truck ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:17 pm

As a follow up to the original post, today I received my latest water bill and it included a leaflet along similar lines to my first post. The leaflet is in both Greek and English, which is quite unusual. I have never received any other official leaflet in English, although some banks do have copies of some of their information in English if you ask for it.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Personally, I'd relish the opportunity to use a bit less water - we haven't had any in our village since Saturday afternoon! What's that strange smell? Oh, it's me ....

Tim

Return to “General Discussion & News”