Transporting my Dog back to the uk!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
kloist

Transporting my Dog back to the uk!

Postby kloist » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:37 am

Hi everyone,
I have 2 dogs at my place in Pines, Elounda and I'd like to take one of the dogs back to the uk (she's been stolen from here and found luckily and I don't want it happening again) .
Anyway, anyone with any information to help me start this process would be brilliant as I can only find information on cats and they don't deal with dogs!

Thanks in advance X
Kerrie
Klo

altohb

Re: Transporting my Dog back to the uk!

Postby altohb » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:30 am

If you want to DIY, I suggest you get in touch with Tracee Walton at Amber's Hope on Facebook, as they are transporting dogs to the UK regularly, and will know all the regulations and should be able to make suggestions as to how best you might do this. Otherwise, http://www.airpets.com/ should help. We used them to bring our dog here, and found them extremely professional. Not cheap, for a large German Shepherd, but worth every penny as far as we were concerned. Good luck!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:31 am

Any vet should be able to do all the necessary medical checks, injections and paperwork for you but some are more experienced than others so less likely to make mistakes with the documentation. Any errors and you can find yourself turned back at a port. A friend driving back with some dogs got as far as the channel ferry and then was refused boarding because the vet had forgotten to complete one box on the forms, i.e. when the rabies vaccine was due for renewal. He had completed when the vaccine was administered and there was paperwork from the vaccine saying how long it lasted but the jobsworth at the port wouldn't let them on. He also phoned all other crossings to warn them that my friend might try a different route. Fortunately the woman at the tunnel was more sympathetic and directed then to a local vet who inspected the paperwork and issued a new certificate.

You used to have to get the paperwork certified by a special municipal vet but that process has ended. The most experienced person in Chania doing the paperwork is Virginia on 6932 385788, as she does virtually all of the re-homing dogs. Obviously that is not practical for you but I am told she is very helpful so if you phone her in normal working hours she might be able to recommend someone in your area.

I am told that the charities re-homing dogs in the UK are typically no longer flying them there directly. Apparently they have to fly into Heathrow and the cost of processing them there is very expensive. Now they are flying them into Belgium and then they are picked up there with a car/van and taken through the Channel Tunnel. The process at the Channel Tunnel is very efficient and low cost.

Warwick

SueA

Postby SueA » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Popi and Yiannis are the vets in Agios Nikolaos who dealt with my dog's passport, vaccinations etc. when we travelled around Europe. They are very conscientious with the paperwork. Telephone 2841 100303

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm pretty sure that Cretan animal Protection, who are a rescue, also transport non rescue dogs from the Elounda/ Agios region. They use the vets previously mentioned for the paperwork. .They are on facebook.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:35 am

I second Louise’s Cretan Animal Protection post. We have used their services twice, once from here and once to here.

Return to “General Discussion & News”