EHIC card

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jeffstclair

EHIC card

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi we are planning a trip to the UK in October ,only for ten days .Anyone know if it's possible or necessary to get an EHIC card to cover us for the time we are there ...if so where do I apply ? and what are the requirements to qualify....we are not on state pension yet so don't have IKA...thats next year ...

Yin&Yang

Re: EHIC card

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Hiya! I am not entirely sure because I just renew ours online. I am not of retirement age and so I don't believe that it is age-related. I am away from my computer but you should find something on the Government Portal I believe :D
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:34 pm

I don't think you qualify for one, Jeff. Greece will only issue one if you are paying contributions into EFKA, the new unified insurance scheme or one of the few remaining non-EFKA schemes. The UK will only issue you with one if you are resident in the UK OR you are a state pensioner, have obtained an S1 Form AND registered it with EOPPY. The one issued for UK residents won't get you treatment in the UK because you get it automatically through your GP. It is only for treatment abroad. The one issued because of an S1 form can be used to get treatment in the UK.

There is a chance you will get treated at a walk in centre if you tell them that you are away from your home town but they may want details of your GP. If you notified your GP that you were moving abroad and they returned your records to Durham it is possible that will show up on the computer system if they ask for your NHS number or your NI number. My wife was seen by a para-medic at a walk in centre without problem but that was nearly 10 years ago and I think they have tightened up on their procedures since then.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for that , do you remember the name of the " Government portal " and who issued your card IKA or EOPPYY ...or AMKA?..Oh your post just popped up..Yes you have confirmed what I suspected Warwick ...until we get state pension we can't get a EHIC card ...So I think a 10 day travel insurance policy will do ...thanks all...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:30 pm

A lot of people pretend that they still live in the UK. They never tell their GP that they have moved abroad. They use the address of a friend or relative. They do not get their NHS records returned to Durham. As far as the NHS is concerned they still live in the UK and so they can get an EHIC card through the normal application process. That page also tells you who is and isn't entitled to a UK issued EHIC.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:05 pm

It may be then that I requested and received my EHIC card because I have IKA here theough my partner who is of pensionable age. Apols.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Yes. If a UK State Pensioner has a dependent partner who is not of pensionable age he/she can ask for the dependent partner to be put on the S1 Form and they then get issued with an IKA book in their own name. In that case they have to apply for an EHIC card through DWP Overseas Healthcare Team not through the NHS method. Assuming IKA has returned the Part 2 Forms, which they often don't do for years, DWP then send a partly completed paper application form. You return that and they issue a UK EHIC.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:47 pm

My card, as a UK pensioner in receipt of a pension, covers me for UK visits. If I remember rightly it was issued by the Pensions Service.

P.S. Memory in order. Just found the card and under "ID number of the institution" it shows "0001 - DWP"

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Yes that is most likely , do you know who issues the card here ..IKA?...I'm asking 'cos in November I will get me UK state pension ,so I'm collecting information on all this stuff..... EDIT .Cross post so the UK issues the card ...I thought / assumed the Greek health service did ....

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Thank you Warwick - it all comes back to me now :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Basically, Jeff, when you get your state pension you ask DWP for an S1 Form. If you have a dependent partner ask DWP to put them on the form as well. You take the S1 Form, which is in duplicate, to IKA together with your passport, photocopy of your passport, residence certificate, and some passport size photographs and anyone of a dozen or so other documents that occur to you, e.g. ΔΕΗ bill, Cosmote bill and house/rental contract. They will issue you with an IKA book. When ever you go to an EOPPY doctor you take the book with you. Also worth taking with you if you go to a private doctor and they might give you a lower fee but that is not guaranteed.

Eventually, after a couple of millennia, IKA send the second part of the S1 Form back to DWP to prove that you have registered with them. Then you can apply to the Overseas Healthcare Team at DWP for an application form for an EHIC. That EHIC cannot be used in Greece but can be used elsewhere in the EU including, I think, the UK.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks Warwick, I was labouring under a misapprehension that the EHIC was issued by ones country of residence ...many thanks for clearing that up ..jeff......
Last edited by Jeffstclair on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:04 pm

It used to be but the rules changed a few years ago. I think it might have been in 2010 when REGULATION (EC) No 987/2009 came into force but it might have been earlier. I never applied for one until 2014 and it had certainly changed to the UK then.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:32 am

For what it's worth, I think that the EHIC is issued by your country of origin within the EU. Initially we had one issued by Greece, valid for one year, but after that the cards have come from the UK. My understanding is that it is not for us to use in the UK, just elsewhere in Europe. Chimes in with the UK (or other EU country as applicable) reimbursing Greece for the costs of medical treatment etc. provided here. Possibly going to be a casualty sometime after March 29th next year (no, not wishing to start a repetitive thread!) Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 am

bobscott wrote:My understanding is that it is not for us to use in the UK, just elsewhere in Europe.
if that is the case Bob how would a UK citizen traveling to the UK get the medical treatment? ....

Return to “General Discussion & News”