EHIC card

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Re: EHIC card

Postby filippos » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:25 am

Before I applied for my EHIC, issued by the DWP, I asked specifically whether it could be used in the UK. The slightly exasperated answer I received (phone, not written) was along the lines of, "Yes, that's the whole point but you do realise it can't be used in Greece."

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:31 am

Yeah , seems sensible to me ....

Joan

Postby Joan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:19 am

Things have definitely tightened up very considerably in the UK in respect of right to NHS treatment. My partner and I (both UK pensioners, both resident in the UK) have required hospital consultant appointments and tests recently, in NHS hospitals. The first question asked of both of us was "Have you been resident in the UK for the past three years?". We have been, and were therefore OK. But those who have not been need to have their answers, EHIC cards etc ready.

Joan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:15 am

There are effectively two types of EHIC, although you cannot distinguish them by looking at the card:

1 If you are resident in the UK you apply to the NHS for an EHIC. That card can be used anywhere in the EU but NOT in the UK. You don't need to use it in the UK because you are registered with the NHS and you are entitled to treatment on the basis of your residency.
    2 If you are resident in Greece AND you are a UK State Pensioner AND you have obtained an S1 Form AND you have registered that SI Form with IKA, presumably now EOPPY, AND IKA/EOPPY have returned part 2 of the form to DWP then you apply to DWP for an EHIC. That card can be used anywhere in the EU, including the UK, but NOT in Greece. You don't need to use it in Greece because you are registered with IKA/EOPPY and you are entitled to treatment on the basis of your IKA book.

Therefore to make statements like, " A UK issued EHIC can/cannot be used in the UK" is meaningless. It depends on what basis the EHIC was issued.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:28 am

Just to add , for clarity for anyone searching this thread for EHIC info if working in Greece :

If you are working and paying National Insurance in Greece , apply to EOPPY or OAEE (for self employed) with your Greek Health Book, for a Greek issued EHIC card which is valid throughout the EU, including the UK.

IFthe UK leaves the EU with no Brexit deal then EHIC cards will no longer be issued (or valid) by UK for reciprocal health care in Greece and other EU countries, and those issued in Greece (for contributors to the Greek system) will no longer be valid in UK (but will still be valid for the rest of Europe).

BST

Postby BST » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:33 pm

I've lost track with the deadline day for deal or no deal. When is it please? That could really be crunch time for those of us not on a state pension and without IKAs.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:07 pm

There isn't a specific date. Barnier has always quoted October, in order to leave sufficient time to get the deal ratified by the UK and EU Parliaments and the EU Council before 29 March 2019. In his last press conference he backed off a little, but only a little, from that, saying that if both sides believed they were close to a deal and only needed a little extra time to complete it, it could probably go into early November.

In theory any deal has to be ratified by the UK parliament, the EU parliament and the EU Council before 29 March 2019 or the UK drops out with no deal BUT there is always the possibility, enshrined in Article 50, of both sides agreeing to an extension. I would say that was only likely if all three groups had more or less agreed the deal put forward but needed some very small amendments to complete it. If there was anything major outstanding, e.g. the Irish Border, then I don't think they would agree to an extension. That's just my gut feeling based on comments made by various parties to the negotiation but of course those comments may not be true, given that all parties are politicians.

I suspect that the two jokers in the pack are the Labour party and the House of Lords. When the deal is debated in the House of Commons, if the Labour party see an opportunity to defeat the government but at the risk of a no-deal Brexit would they risk it, since their stated policy amounts to staying in the EU? The House of Lords is predominately remain so how will they vote if the deal is not close enough to remain to suite them? Looked at overall both houses are largely remainers. MPs only want to appear to be implementing leave because they might not get elected at the next eletion if they are openly remain. The Lords don't care because they are not elected.

The Institute for Government, an independent think tank, have published a report, Autumn Surprises: possible scenarios for the next phase of Brexit with a decision tree for the final phase of Brexit. That has four out of the five possible outcomes resulting in no-deal but, of course, not all outcomes are equally probable so it doesn't translate as only a 20 % chance of a deal.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Kilkis wrote:There are effectively two types of EHIC, although you cannot distinguish them by looking at the card:

1 If you are resident in the UK you apply to the NHS for an EHIC. That card can be used anywhere in the EU but NOT in the UK. You don't need to use it in the UK because you are registered with the NHS and you are entitled to treatment on the basis of your residency.
    2 If you are resident in Greece AND you are a UK State Pensioner AND you have obtained an S1 Form AND you have registered that SI Form with IKA, presumably now EOPPY, AND IKA/EOPPY have returned part 2 of the form to DWP then you apply to DWP for an EHIC. That card can be used anywhere in the EU, including the UK, but NOT in Greece. You don't need to use it in Greece because you are registered with IKA/EOPPY and you are entitled to treatment on the basis of your IKA book.

Therefore to make statements like, " A UK issued EHIC can/cannot be used in the UK" is meaningless. It depends on what basis the EHIC was issued.

Warwick

Interesting Warwick. I had never realised that distinction which is essentially, I assume, the same EHIC card. Or is the one we would need to apply for that doesn't work in Greece but will work in the UK somehow different? Back to DWP again? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Just got this from the NHSBSA site:

Q I live overseas and have a valid EHIC issued from the UK. Can I use my card for treatment if I visit the UK?

A : If you require medical treatment whilst visiting the UK you are entitled to this free of charge, just like someone who is normally resident in the UK. This does not apply to family members or frontier workers who are only entitled to treatment that is medically necessary.

If you are seeking medical attention whilst in the UK you must follow the same process as UK residents. To see a GP, you will need to register as a temporary patient at a practice; hospital treatment usually requires a GP referral.

You must also show a copy of your S1 or ask the healthcare provider to contact the team on 0191 218 1999 to verify the status of your S1. If you will require further treatment once you have returned to your country of residence you must also apply for an S2 form.

Please note that family members or frontier works are restricted to medically essential treatment.

Click here for more information on the NHS choices website and click on the section ‘Holders of a registered UK-issued S1 form.

I don't think I have a copy of my S1 - but I do have my IKA book. Will pursue the further information choice soon. Bob.

Al

Postby Al » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:10 pm

If you are living here and signed up for IKA (which means relinquishing NHS cover in the UK) then you need an EHIC card when travelling there. If still with the NHS you need one to access IKA, though private care for minor problems can be remarkably cheap.

My understanding is that if you have not yet reached state pension age in the UK you can have 2 years of IKA cover for yourself and family dependents. That means you can register now with IKA using an SI form. I think in either case the relevant office is in Newcastle. Once you have the papers you will have to go to the IKA office. Your local KEP can help by explaining the requirements.

Hope that's helpful.

Al

Postby Al » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:29 pm

If you are a UK national the EHIC is issued by the UK.

If resident in Greece and registered with IKA, it can be used in Europe excluding the UK. If resident in the UK and registered with the NHS, then it can be used in any European country except the UK.

What I haven't seen above is that you can have up to two years on IKA before you reach state pension age, including dependents, unless the rules have recently changed.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Al wrote:...What I haven't seen above is that you can have up to two years on IKA before you reach state pension age, including dependents, unless the rules have recently changed.

The rules did indeed change. From this NHS Web page:

You can no longer apply for a residual S1 (formerly residual E106), which previously provided temporary healthcare to early retirees moving to other EEA countries.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:07 pm

As promised, I did pursue to the issue, and got this in response, relating to me and my wife who are both getting the UK State retirement pension:

'If you do not hold a copy of your S1 form, you can alternatively take a document from the Pension Centre to show you are both receiving your UK State Pension. If an S1 holder visits the UK and needs treatment, the hospital or doctor would contact our department by telephone to check your S1 is officially registered on our records. We would confirm you are both covered under the S1 form so you both should be fine visiting the UK and receiving treatment to the same level as a UK resident.

We do not hold copies of the S1 form. The only office that may be able to supply a copy if you would like one is the office that originally registered your forms. Their address is as below:

IKA Chanion 301,
K Karamani 99,
Chania 73100
Greece '

Rather than go through the nausea of trying to get a copy of the S1 from IKA, it sounds as if taking the latest retirement pensions increase statement with us will suffice. A copy of the e-mail would probably help too.

Hope that is of some help and even consolation out there! Bob.

Return to “General Discussion & News”