Flights December - January

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Re: Flights December - January

Postby filippos » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Kilkis wrote:It's difficult to do it in much less outside direct flight season, Filippos.
I'd welcome even a couple of hours less or plan CHQ/ATH/LHR, overnight in hotel, then head for EDI next day, not that I'm ever likely to make that journey Summer or Winter. I can't think of many things more knackering than just travelling 13+ hours in one day (sleeping on long-haul might be OK, just).

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:36 pm

I have done similar trips to Manchester to work on a panto in the old days

Oh no! You didn't?

That's really intrigued me, Jeff, learning what's behind you. I had you down as having been a horny-handed son of the soil long before you came to Crete...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm

I'm afraid Chania-Athens-Heathrow wouldn't help you much, Filippos. The minimum is 8 hours 15 minutes so factoring in your hour to get to the airport, an hour check in time and a couple of hours at Heathrow to get through immigration and baggage claim you are up over 10 hours. In the case of journeys to Edinburgh, or the south west, that doesn't even get you to your destination. If I had a choice of 13 hours and getting to my final destination or 10+ hours and still being a few hundred miles away I would opt for the 13 hours. You simply cannot do it quickly out of season. The choice is very simple: go out of season and put up with a really long knackering day or don't go out of season. Personally I opt not to go out of season but that isn't everybody's choice.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:53 am

As I said, I'd rather break the journey with an overnight stay than extend the continuous travel time, not that I'm ever likely to go to Edinburgh, especially in winter. Last time we went from here to LHR we had almost to run to change in ATH - 40mins to transfer - struck lucky at LHR with our bags amongst the first ½ dozen on the carousel and only 20mins through Passport control. I must have done something very good to have so many gods helping. I hadn't booked Aegean's CHQ-LHR offer* as they wanted to keep me at ATH for about three hours so I booked the two legs separately with the short transfer time: they still transferred baggage directly flight to flight. Our final leg was coach to Bristol and were lucky again. We'd allowed loads of time for getting out of LHR plus allowance for flight delay and managed to get vacant seats on the coach scheduled for 1½ hrs before the one we'd booked.

* They always seem to avoid putting you on the first onward flight, but always the second, for the second leg.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am

A bit of a gamble booking the legs separately. Even if it is the same airline it isn't a consolidated ticket so if there is a delay on the first flight and you miss the connection it is your problem. Also, if there is a short delay and it is a consolidated ticket they sometimes hold the connection so you can make it. I don't think they do this out of the goodness of their heart. I think they realise that it is going to cost them something if you miss the connection. Again if it is not a consolidated ticket I am not sure they would do that since they have nothing to lose.

Don't get me wrong. I totally agree with the comment about the length of the journey. I hate flying for 4 hours now and would rather not fly at all but if I want to see family and friends in the UK I don't have a choice. I do, however, have control over when I go so avoiding out of season is my answer. I can understand why people want to go around Christmas time. I flew back to the UK every Christmas for 13 years but gave up 8 years ago.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 am

I guess we are in a slightly different situation from most here - we have school age children so there’s generally a choice:

1. Take them out of school early thus getting a cheaper flight (the last week of school when they are young is a waste of time - it’s basically childcare for working parents with no lessons) and risk the fine introduced to stop parents doing this

2.Pay for flights during peak times.

Often the fine (which you may not get) is less than the savings in flight costs by flying non-peak - local education authorities aren’t very good at economics: they’ve created a system that encourages you to take your children out of school.

Now the girls are at secondary school, we have to go during school holidays, hence my question.

In previous winters we’ve stopped in Athens for a night one way and timed flights so connection time isn’t too long or short the other way. The Sofitel at the airport is a good place to while away time out of the airport building.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Guy M wrote:In previous winters we’ve stopped in Athens for a night one way and timed flights so connection time isn’t too long or short the other way. The Sofitel at the airport is a good place to while away time out of the airport building.

I understand your reasoning re-school time travel and I'd probably act similarly if I had school age children.

I agree that the Sofitel is OK for whiling away time but I'd add the rider "provided you don't stay there overnight". We (just two of us) stayed for one night a couple of years ago and in my view the only benefit was the very convenient location. The cost was ridiculously expensive for a hotel showing its age; carpets going threadbare, sofas in the bar with areas of the fabric worn smooth and would have benefited from a steam clean; poor service (except the concierge) and the room (we had an upgrade on arrival) could best be described as 'adequate'. The overall impression was as one might imagine an impoverished Hyacinth Bucket, Keeping Up Appearances (and failing).
Last edited by filippos on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrizoH71

Postby BrizoH71 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 pm

filippos wrote:
BrizoH71 wrote:
filippos wrote:What's the travel time, start to finish in each direction?

For me?
Yes, thanks. Wouldn't do for me. Despite being healthy and fairly fit for my age I'd flake out and need min. 24 hrs recovery, especially on the outbound journey.
Assuming my calculations are right, allowing for the 2hrs time difference, getting up in the early hours to get to the airport for check-in time, the hassle of security, twice (baggage claim, check-in and security at Athens), hanging about the airport for 4½ hrs, another 4+hrs on ATH-EDI flight, collecting baggage, getting through Passport control would be too much. I reckon from crawling out of bed to tottering out of EDI terminal would, with luck, take 13+hrs, conservatively (allowing only 1 hour check-in time at HER). Then there's still EDI airport to final destination. Returning is about 2-4 hrs less. Much rather you than me; you must have a strong constitution and body. I'd have to go on different dates.

Thankfully the wife and I are both in good health and relatively young in our mid-40s. She'll feel the journey more than I do, but we're only 20 mins from Heraklion Airport and 20 minutes to final destination from Edinburgh.

We're only taking hand-luggage as we still have clothes at home in Edinburgh, so no need to wait on baggage. While the flights are certainly not an ideal scenario either way, the routes we're taking each way are by far the most cost-effective way for us to make the journey having explored all options.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Clio wrote:
I have done similar trips to Manchester to work on a panto in the old days

Oh no! You didn't?

That's really intrigued me, Jeff, learning what's behind you. I had you down as having been a horny-handed son of the soil long before you came to Crete...

Ha Ha Clio..In a previous life amongst other things , I was a scene builder painter and propmaker ...so sort of painty and gluey handed ....

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:56 pm

I agree that the Sofitel is OK for whiling away time but I'd add the rider "provided you don't stay there overnight".

Indeed - it's seen better days. We used to stay there as a treat when flying from Nairobi to Crete via Cairo (EgyptAir is the only airline I've been on the offers a prayer with a picture of a mosque on the screens in the plane before flying, and with good reason), but not any more. The Plaka Hotel in the centre of Athens is much nicer, cheaper and allows me to enforce some form of cultural dictatorship on my unfortunate children with regular visits to the Acropolis Museum.

Return to “General Discussion & News”