Paying Electric bills

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
moggieman

Paying Electric bills

Postby moggieman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:51 pm

I understand it is possible to set up payment of electric bills to be collected directly from a bank account. Is this set up at the electric office or at your bank.
Any advice from people that have done it, please ??

bobscott

Re: Paying Electric bills

Postby bobscott » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Probably the same as paying the OTE bill - done through the bank. Got mine set up to do it on line through my bank account. Saves paper. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:55 pm

On Alpha Bank you log onto your online account, click on payments and then on standing orders. That brings up a payment authorisation form and the first box is labelled Select Payment. That has a drop down menu and you search for the company you want to pay and select it. It's a long list. On Alpha DEI appears under Electricity Bill which is quite a long way down as it comes after DEYA (water) and there are hundreds of them. You then select which account you want to pay it from, the payment code, that is on your bill, your name, exactly how it appears on your bill and the maximum amount that you want to limit payments to. I would guess it will be similar, but not necessarily identical, on your online account.

Warwick

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Paid mine directly since we bought our house in 2004 via EuroBank , just went into the branch and they set it straight up had no problems at all .

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:08 am

Houmeri91 so its the bank that sets it up ???

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:49 am

moggieman wrote:Houmeri91 so its the bank that sets it up ???

That's how I would interpret the previous posts. Why not just ask your bank? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:24 am

Can my post be interpreted any other way?

Warwick

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:01 am

Yes to reinforce just go in the bank and have a chat and they will sort no hassle .

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:45 am

I can understand the need for clarification as in England it would be the service provider, rather than the bank, who organises the direct debit. With regard to the electricity payment, I had to visit my bank with a receipted bill from the electricity provider before I was able to set up the direct debit.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Forsto wrote:I can understand the need for clarification as in England it would be the service provider, rather than the bank, who organises the direct debit. With regard to the electricity payment, I had to visit my bank with a receipted bill from the electricity provider before I was able to set up the direct debit.

To clarify the process I described above is the online process at one particular bank. I have no way of knowing if other banks operate in the same way. Alpha Bank has always been ahead of the pack when it comes to online banking.

In the UK there is a clear distinction between Standing Order, where you are in control and transfer the same amount each time, and Direct Debit, where the payee is in control and tells the bank how much they want. You can certainly set up a Standing Order at a UK bank without going through the payee, I did it a couple of months ago. As Forsto says you can't usually set up a Direct Debit through the bank in the UK, although you can manage them. In Greece they seem to be referring to a Direct Debit as a Standing Order since the process is called a Standing Order but you set a maximum amount to transfer rather than a specific amount, suggesting the payee will tell them? Perhaps this is a translation issue since I work in the English version of online banking.

I have never actually set one up in Greece so I have no idea if, having set it up with the bank, you then need to inform the payee or if the bank does that for you.

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:23 pm

For many years I've paid my Electricity Bill by "direct debit" from my Bank of Hania account so when I breezed in and asked them to set up a "direct debit" to pay my WIND account I was somewhat taken aback when they said "We don't deal with them. You can pay Vodafone or Cosmote but not WIND"

I phoned up WIND and they said "Who do you bank with?" When I said Bank of Hania they said "We don't deal with them"
I had previously paid my WIND account by "direct debit" from The National Bank of Greece. It would appear that the "direct debit" system is not as we (UK citizens) know it but more of a one to one arrangement between a bank and a company.
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm

There are lots of anomalies like this. When we were building our house we transferred €40,000 as a stage payment from the UK to our Alpha Bank account. My late wife then went to our alpha Bank branch and asked them to transfer the €40,000 to our developer's account with Agrotiki Bank. She was told that they couldn't do transfers to Agrotiki. She had to draw out the €40,000 in cash and carry it across town to the local Agrotiki branch. One day Greece will be dragged kicking and screaming into the fifteenth century.

In the UK you can set up a Standing Order to anybody, even an individual. All you need is there account details. You can also set up Direct Debits to any company. I may be wrong but as far as I can see, in Greece you can only set up Standing Orders/Direct Debits to the companies listed in the payments section of the banks web site.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:46 pm

As an update to the original question, I checked with a friend today, who has set up Direct Debits to pay all his bills, that you only need to set it up with the bank. You do not need to visit the company, the bank informs them. In my area, ΔΕΥΑΒΑ, you can pay the water bill online but the payment code changes every month so I wasn't sure if you could set up a Direct Debit for that. He told me that you can so I would assume that anywhere that the water bill is payable online it is also payable by Direct Debit. I would guess that those areas where you cannot pay online you probably can't pay by Direct Debit.

As far as I know you cannot set up a Direct Debit to pay government taxes such as Income Tax or ENFIA.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:09 pm

As a further to the question about payment of DEH bills - this can also be done using a debit card via the DEH website.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Good point, altohb, and useful information for others BUT I think Moggieman is looking for something automatic. The arrangement he uses now to pay these bills will no longer function in a few months so he is looking for an alternative that will replace it without him having to become too actively involved.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”