Draining the pool over winter or keep it going?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
chrissyg

Draining the pool over winter or keep it going?

Postby chrissyg » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:07 pm

We were advised to just keep our pool ticking over last winter (cleaning services once a fortnight) but it did have a problem with leaves as we live in a forest area and thinking about the cost of doing this from October to May, wouldnt it be cheaper to emtpy and refill? What are the disadvantages in doing this and would we really need a cover. I have been told they are problrmatic especially in windy winters and where do you store it? It is a large saline pool and this is now our second winter after our first rental season.

scooby

Re: Draining the pool over winter or keep it going?

Postby scooby » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Not sure if yours is tiled and is re enforced against earthquake? I empty mine as it is both of those.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:32 pm

Yes its completely tiled and brand new. Do you half-empty and cover at all? When they take out all the leaves and gunk doesnt it damage the tiles at all?

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:02 pm

It is a bit of a job scrubbing the tiles when ready to fill, mine takes about 2 hours work and ready. It makes it easier if you swill it out with a hose pipe say once a month and just clear leaves out (half an hour job). No need for a cover if you are emptying it in my opinion and I,ve been doing the same for 11 years with no problem whatsoever. Empty it completely.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Thaks scooby, seems the best option. Our pool maintenance people will be doing it, and will charge for their time but im wondering if it will still be cost effective. After all, theres all that electric for the pump etc. If you keep it going.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:15 am

Not being here full time I take the opposite view to Scooby.

I have tried both options over the years. Initially I had my tiled pool drained and fitted a UK manufactured purpose made cover which is now kept folded and stored in my apothiki. Over the winter the pool filled with a foot or so of rain water which turned stagnant and was not helped by the ingress of a rat which obviously drowned. Leaves and foliage still got into it under the cover. When it came to draining off, ready for re filling, the pool was a mass of mosquito larvae and made for very unpleasant cleaning. In addition, being in an earthquake zone I was told by a professional dealer that an unfilled pool, despite reinforcement, is far more unstable and more liable to sustain damage in the event of a tremor.

The pool is now left filled and uncovered. It requires minimum time on the pump, I tend to leave it running about four hours a day. I give it a good dose of shock when I leave and my pool guy cleans and sees to it as usual twice a week. It rarely needs more than half a chlorine tablet a week and as long as the Ph is kept stable I have no trouble with lime scale.

I find the cost of power and chemicals and is minimal, the main expense being the pool guy, however, I do have peace of mind knowing that he is at the property regularly to keep an eye on things in case of other problems arising.

Kathleen

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:22 am

Kathleen wrote:Not being here full time I take the opposite view to Scooby.

I have tried both options over the years. Initially I had my tiled pool drained and fitted a UK manufactured purpose made cover which is now kept folded and stored in my apothiki. Over the winter the pool filled with a foot or so of rain water which turned stagnant and was not helped by the ingress of a rat which obviously drowned. Leaves and foliage still got into it under the cover. When it came to draining off, ready for re filling, the pool was a mass of mosquito larvae and made for very unpleasant cleaning. In addition, being in an earthquake zone I was told by a professional dealer that an unfilled pool, despite reinforcement, is far more unstable and more liable to sustain damage in the event of a tremor.

The pool is now left filled and uncovered. It requires minimum time on the pump, I tend to leave it running about four hours a day. I give it a good dose of shock when I leave and my pool guy cleans and sees to it as usual twice a week. It rarely needs more than half a chlorine tablet a week and as long as the Ph is kept stable I have no trouble with lime scale.

I find the cost of power and chemicals and is minimal, the main expense being the pool guy, however, I do have peace of mind knowing that he is at the property regularly to keep an eye on things in case of other problems arising.

Kathleen
Yes Kathleen you can do it both ways no problem, but you won't get stagnant water if like I said it is swilled every month. Regarding tremors, yes the pool is more stable if full, but if it was a near one which was strong nothing will stop the pool from cracking in which case I would prefer it empty.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Mmmm yes i thought there might be both opinions. I thought the minimum pump time was 8 hours a day and surely the cost of the pool guy £15 a go, and all that electric over 6 months must be more than the annual refill. I was also advised that you leave it about half full and add some fungicide or pesticide or something to stop it going too manky. Our pool guy said he services both ways and it was really up to the customer but he did moan about all the leaves he had to clear out each time because as i say we live in the forest, and was quite relieved when we said we might change to emptying.

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:43 pm

chrissyg wrote:Mmmm yes i thought there might be both opinions. I thought the minimum pump time was 8 hours a day and surely the cost of the pool guy £15 a go, and all that electric over 6 months must be more than the annual refill. I was also advised that you leave it about half full and add some fungicide or pesticide or something to stop it going too manky. Our pool guy said he services both ways and it was really up to the customer but he did moan about all the leaves he had to clear out each time because as i say we live in the forest, and was quite relieved when we said we might change to emptying.
I put a bit of chlorine concentrate in now and then if a bit of water is in the pool after raining this keeps it clear and keeps scum mark off the side.

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:38 pm

chrissyg wrote:Mmmm yes i thought there might be both opinions. I thought the minimum pump time was 8 hours a day.....

All the pools in my area are kept full during the winter and looked after/maintained. The pump time in winter is about two hours, no more. We much prefer to look at a nice clean lit pool during the wintertime than an empty dirty pool. The cost is not all that much, less than a gin and tonic a day.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:08 pm

O ok, thats interesting. In that way it wouldnt cost much. Does it only need 2 hours if its not being used then? I dont mind what it looks like when we are not there so that isnt an issue. The pool guy thinks the leaves are a real pain and he is saying keeping it going for 6 months unused isnt worth it. More money for him if he keeps it going though? Still not sure.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:21 pm

I have two neighbours with pools. One keeps it going the whole year even though they are not there. He gets a friend to top up the chlorine tablets and the pump is on a timer. The other just drops the level to about half way to allow for rainfall and leaves it. No pump running, no chlorine, nobody looking after it. It costs him nothing but it gradually turns into a rank green pond. When he returns to Crete he pumps it all out, cleans it and fills it again. There isn't a right and wrong way.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:32 pm

Yeah, guess so- do you think the cost either way is the same too, bear in mind the pool man will be doing it either wsy- not us :o

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:49 pm

I spent a bit of my life in the UK designing building and sometimes trouble shooting folks swimming pools . I think with the water shortages here on Crete the decision how to overwinter the pool must be made with water conservation in mind ...I was reading this headline this morning ...

http://www.chaniapost.eu/2018/04/28/cre ... rty-years/

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:08 pm

So you mean refilling it each year is environmentally bad?
It is a large pool too. But it is the kind of pool that is continually topped up with fresh water as it is one of those ones level with the surround and tops up with evaporation etc, i think. Sorry,you can tell im no expert!!! Nice to have an experts opinion though. I obviously want to do whats best for the environment but id always thought it rained so much in the winter that wre didnt have to worry too much.And its saline if that makes any difference to the decision btw?

Return to “General Discussion & News”