Draining the pool over winter or keep it going?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Re: Draining the pool over winter or keep it going?

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:47 pm

This thread has reinforced my belief that a pool is more an encumbrance than a pleasure. When we bought our first house here in '98 we decided no pool and cost wasn't a factor. I came here to enjoy a relaxed lifestyle and that didn't equate to being a part-time pool maintenance man or having to decide leave it empty or full, organising repairs etc. Add to that the fact that after I left my teens I never liked swimming in a chemical bath; since we moved here permanently I've been quite content to swim in the big, salty pool that surrounds the island. There are no concerns about leaving it when we go on holiday, no possibility of earthquake damage or pump failures no regular maintenance, no sheep (or rats) falling in and drowning.

I admit we've been lucky enough to have never lived here more than 4 Km from the surrounding pool and now live within 100m but I still wouldn't have a pool if we lived half way up a mountain in the middle of the widest part of the island.

We've had no hassle with TV for the last 16½ years either.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Well i love swimming in pools and i hate swimming in the sea ( Cold, jelly-fish, and contains other substances that would make me prefer swimming in a chemical bath!!) So im the opposite of you.
Also, ( at the moment) my place is a holiday rental so i am having to think of customers and costs etc, but its all new to me and i do agree a lot of it is a pain in the arse. However, swimming in my own private pool in the sunshine is my idea of heaven. The sea is pretty to look at, just dont want to be in it.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:13 am

Horses for courses, I guess. For the first three years, '99-'01, our house was on holiday rental and in '04 we built a holiday apartment. We'd expected lack of a pool to be a negative but were surprised by the number of visitors who said not having a pool was one of their reasons for choosing our place.

P.S. May to October the sea is only cold for about the first 30 seconds and I've only ever encountered jellyfish at Bournemouth.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:28 am

Youre obviously the hardy type and i am admittedly pretty pathetic in cold temperatures. The only place i actually enjoyed being in the sea was Egypt many years ago where the water was warm , crystal clear and snorkelling off the beach looking at all the coral and amazing fish was a fantastc experience, but where we swam in Sharm was exactly where that german woman was killed by a shark.! Leave the sea to the fishes I say. Are there really no jelly fish here? I saw loads in Skiathos.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 am

On the advice of our local area pool maintenance expert, we have kept our pool full all year round, he said the interior pressure when the pool is full all the time maintains the shape and prevents the tiles cracking with earth movement if empty when we have minor earth tremors and as has been said the cost of keeping the pump going in winter is minimal, in the 12 years we have lived we have had no trouble by keeping it full despite a few earthquakes... :D
Dave H

BST

Postby BST » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:00 pm

A pool is a delight! Wouldn't be without it. I love swimming in the sea and it's only 7 mins drive but to get to the sea you have to pack your bag, lock up, get the car out, find somewhere to park etc etc.... Having a pool means you can just strip off when your hot and jump in, maybe several times a day and even just before bedtime so it's a no brainer. Definitely keep your pool filled over the winter. You probably won't need chlorine for 3 months in the middle of winter. We have our pool on for 1hr midday from around the beginning of November to April. It looks after itself. Just give it a vacuum once every month or 2 and pull out the odd leaf. Important to keep the water in the pool to prevent any movement!!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:06 pm

chrissyg wrote:Youre obviously the hardy type ...
If you want to know about hardy look no further than 'Er Indoors. As a young child she went in the sea off Aberdeen.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:33 pm

filippos wrote:...If you want to know about hardy look no further than 'Er Indoors. As a young child she went in the sea off Aberdeen.

When I was young we swam in the north sea off Seaton Carew every Sunday from Whitsun to mid September whatever the weather. Not as far north as Aberdeen but still not exactly tropical. I doubt if I would do it now.

Warwick

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:42 am

Likewise Warwick, only a bit further North, we always went to Seaton Sluice, fabulous long sandy beach and usually managed a swim from late April onwards. Spent a day there whilst on my mid summer break away from Crete in early August, with my great Niece and nephews. Despite being in swimwear in case I had to haul them out I only managed a quick paddle …. it was freezing!

BTW, didn't realise you were (almost!) a Smoggie!

Kathleen

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:20 am

Kathleen wrote:..BTW, didn't realise you were (almost!) a Smoggie!

Kathleen

I wasn't born up there but I lived in Durham City for two years and then Stockton-on-Tees for seven years. Seaton Carew was the nearest beach when we lived in Stockton. I'm a Yellowbelly by birth but must have traveller blood having lived in ten towns/cities.

Warwick

Al

Postby Al » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:56 pm

It seems to me both views are valid with two caveats. The advice I have is that any pool is more proof against earthquake if full rather than empty. The second id that an empty pool, no matter how much shock and stuff you add to it, can be seriously disgusting by the spring.

Becauuse I live here permanently, I keep mine full year round. In the winter I reduce the pump from about 8 hours to one, or at most two, per day. I continue to clean and to put in multipupose tabs, which dissolve much more slowly because of lower temperatures and reduced pumping through the filters. Because there is an increase of rain born dust I still clean the filters once a week. If I travel abroad over the winter, I pay someone to check it every fortnight and clean if necessary. Doesnt cost much. I fact the last guy refused payment and I had to buy him and his wife dinner!!

It has worked fine for me for 12 years and I wouldn't be without my pool.

Return to “General Discussion & News”