Ferry Fire

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Clio

Ferry Fire

Postby Clio » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:40 pm

Tim

Re: Ferry Fire

Postby Tim » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 am

That's worrying. I wouldn't fancy tackling one of those ladders in the middle of the night.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 am

There's a daylight photo of the ferry in ekathimerini and it doesn't look in good shape.

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:11 pm

I've done the Italy - Crete ferry crossings about 20 times and on one occasion only, did we have a complete evacuation at sea drill. Ships siren blowing seven times, assemble at the muster point, issued with life jackets, formed into a "conga" line and led down the stairs through the fire hoses to the lifeboats and assembled by the open door accessing the life boat. We were then thanked for taking part in the exercise and dismissed. This was on the Ancona - Patras leg of the journey. The whole exercise was conducted in English, not just crew to passengers communication but crew to crew. I suppose this is part of SOLAS requirements. A crew member checked every cabin to ensure all passengers had "answered the call". The whole exercise was reassuring, except of course it was done in daylight, with no smoke and everyone knew it was only an exercise and so no panic.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Return to “General Discussion & News”