ENFIA 2018

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: ENFIA 2018

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:58 am

I usually ask my accountant to download it and send it to me as a pdf. Since the amount owed this year is identical to last year I haven't bothered, as I presume the analysis will also be identical. It's quite a complicated table in landscape format with highlights in green and yellow with the heading "Δ Η Λ Ω Σ Η Ε Ν Ι Α Ι Ο Υ Φ Ο Ρ Ο Υ Ι Δ Ι Ο Κ Τ Η Σ Ι Α Σ Α Κ Ι Ν Η Τ Ω Ν (ΕΝ.Φ.Ι.Α.)".

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:34 am

Thanks Warwick. I do know what it's called, and what it looks like. It's just that in previous years I've been able to find and print it from Taxisnet. No sign of it this year. Hence my previous tongue in cheek comment about doing a search for "ENΦΙΑ" ......

Ανδρεας

audacity

Postby audacity » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 am

Hi!
In the UK I fill out all my tax stuff myself,
if I have no changes and I have the all the previous info,
can I bypass paying an accountant and do it myself at all?
Is it possible?
:)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 am

Anybody can complete their own tax return on Taxisnet. You need your user ID and your password. You may have them already. If not your accountant should be able to supply them. Personally I would say that you need to be pretty fluent in Greek if you intend to do this and be well briefed in Greek tax law.

Like most countries the tax code changes regularly so what you did last year may not be relevant this year. Your accountant, if he is any good, should keep up-to-date with all these changes. He should also be well versed in the subtleties of the Double Taxation Agreement and how it is interpreted. You also get the tax authority making quite arbitrary decisions from time to time and it is useful to have an accountant to challenge them. If you do get into a mess by doing your own return I don't think any accountant is going to be very keen to help you get out of it.

I don't think you can rely on a translation tool like Google Translate or the Chrome Browser that uses it. Up to 1976 there were two forms of the Greek language in use, Demotic and Katharevousa. Demotic was the language in common use and Katharevousa was used for official documents. Although no longer officially in use, constructs from Katharevousa do tend to still crop up in official documents and that could include government internet sites like Taxisnet. Translation tools may not translate these very well. I also find that pop-up questions do not necessarily automatically translate and you often can't copy and paste them into a translation tool.

I also did all my own tax returns in the UK and I calculate my own tax liability in Greece BUT I still prefer to have an accountant as a buffer between me and the tax authority. He has saved me far more than I have ever paid him so I regard it as good value for money.

Warwick

audacity

Postby audacity » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks Warwick,
you clearly know you stuff and now im well informed and also well advised!
:)

Return to “General Discussion & News”