Mosquitos

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Eleni13

Re: Mosquitos

Postby Eleni13 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:59 am

Runs around Phil? That would be too energetic. Amusing picture though.
Maggie, I just left peel lying around. It seemed to work, I am very happy to report.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Back to mossies. I have been so badly bitten sonce arriving here three days ago. I am covered in very itchy bites. We have got the smoky rings going, the plug ins and i have practically bathed in repellents. Is there any way of stopping this happening?? How do you cope with this? Help!

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Find and upturn all small stagnant water places e.g. plants pots etc. Find where you (or your neighbours) inadvertently have a mosquito farm.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Cant ser anything other than maybe a few pools of water on the awning when we arrived. Anyone know of any amazing repellent to stop them biting me?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:35 pm

When Which magazine did an objective test the only thing that worked was Deet, which is not surprising since it was developed by the US military to stop soldiers getting bitten in jungle warfare. The stronger the solution the better it worked.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:35 pm

chrissyg wrote:Cant ser anything other than maybe a few pools of water on the awning when we arrived. Anyone know of any amazing repellent to stop them biting me?

I have been told that Basil is a good repellent, won't work during the day unless you carry it around with you, but might be useful at night with a few sprigs in a glass or two around the bedroom.

paul g

Postby paul g » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:29 pm

in doors Raid liquid plugins work for us.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:42 pm

It you want a natural non toxic solution, try using distilled lavender oil on your pulse points, sprinkle on your pillow etc.

Here are some reasons why you might be seen as a tasty treat for mossies - nothing much a person can do if it's due to blood type!

https://www.treehugger.com/health/7-rea ... thers.html

BrizoH71

Postby BrizoH71 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:18 am

Haven't really been bothered in Analipsi in recent weeks by any plague of bugs... the odd mosquito and black wasp. Haven't seen any cockroaches, and the ant population really seems to have taken a hit as I've hardly seen one this past 2-3 weeks.

I have however come across a couple of centipedes which I have never had before.

George

Postby George » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 pm

We have just returned from a holiday in Sissi and the mosquitoes were the worst we have ever encountered in Crete. Both my wife and I were bitten on several occasions and we're not normally bothered by them. Our granddaughter was plagued by them which spoiled things a bit for her. We tried all the usual culprits, none of which seem particulalry effective. Amazing how many of them don't contain deet.

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm

An item in Avon's Skin So Soft range - I think it's dry body spray - is reputedly good for keeping mozzies at bay.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:30 pm

It's an annual thing - each September/October - and probably not mosquitoes but smaller midges (Σκνίπες).
https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%A3%CE ... F%80%CE%B1

We had a thread about the same thing last year in September here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10825

I've noticed it over a number of years with tourists getting lots of bites at this time of year .. we call it the sknipess season, the start of the damp evenings (but still warm days) seem to bring them out every year around this time. Most lotions and potions don't seem to stop you getting bitten.

Return to “General Discussion & News”