Making olive oil from our few trees

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
chrissyg

Making olive oil from our few trees

Postby chrissyg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:11 pm

There are five olive trees in our garden and this autumn we saw an abundance of olives growing them. Our garden man said he might be able to harvest them for us in december as we arent there. Can you actually get someone to make oil from them with that small amount?
I would love to have some of our own bottles of olive oil and wondered if it was possible. Does anyone do this?

Mixos

Re: Making olive oil from our few trees

Postby Mixos » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:31 pm

chrissy, you could get up to 20 litres of oil off your five trees if they are well loaded. Try to get a friendly neighbour to harvest them when he/she does their own trees if you can, and your oil would be part of that batch -- but it would still be some of yours!

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:43 pm

You would need to check with your local olive press, the communal press in our village will process individual batches as small as two sacks. The alternative, not quite so appealing is to add your olives to a larger batch, the olive press would probably arrange this for you.
Peter

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:04 pm

How much would they typically charge you for 2 sacks?

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi. We have 12 trees. Someone in the village, who also acts as a handyman, harvests the olives :D :D in the winter when we are not here, takes them to the local factory and we split the oil 50:50. Cretan olive oil is as good as it gets - and tastes even better when it is your own.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:49 pm

The cost of processing at our communal olive press is 10% of the oil produced, it's a neat system.
Peter

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:44 am

Have you had them treated to prevent olive fruit flies? My neighbour in not interested in taking any from my trees because they show signs of damage.

Kathleen

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:29 am

I dont think they are diseased, Kathleen, but i am not at all knowledgable about them. My greek gardener commented on them so i might actually get him to do it, althouh he'll want loads of money no doubt! They are pretty old and craggy but they have so many olives on them this year and they look really good. Ive never really thought about it now.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:31 am

My trees are in the south of Rethymno prefecture, olive fly (Dacus) has been a big problem in this area this year. Practically it is difficult to act individually against olive fly, you can buy Eco Traps or use home made traps baited with ammonia but unless nearby olive growers are taking similar precautions you risk attracting all the olive flies in the area to your trees. The municipality began a spraying programme in this area last week - but too late to protect this years crop. Depending on the level of infestation you could still get reasonable quality oil but you would need to harvest early, November, before the olives show signs of becoming mouldy. Good luck.

Peter

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 am

Yeah, i wouldn't bother to go to any great lengths to produce oil with just my few trees and im not there in the winter to monitor them and they have obviously been there a while and left to themselves. I just wondered if it was worth doing this year. To be honest we are in a foresty area and ive seen just about every bug there is, even an oak had some weird scarab attack which we had to have treated and they had nearly stripped every leaf off it. I dont have much luck with plants or growing veg in the UK either. We have someone who has done some garden work for us but not a 'regular' gardener.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:40 am

chrissyg wrote: My greek gardener commented on them so i might actually get him to do it, althouh he'll want loads of money no doubt! .

Generally around here in the far East, a 50 : 50 split mean no cash changes hands... We did 50 :50 split with people when we first lived here before we bought our own trees , it's very common for tree owners who have no kit , time or truck to get the crop in ...It is important to get the co-op or whoever runs the mill to split the paper work between you and the other person.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 pm

Paperwork! Blimey Jeff it's a bit sophisticated round your way. Here it's the back of an envelope with the weight of olives, oil yield and acidity.
Peter

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Peter W wrote:The municipality began a spraying programme in this area last week - but too late to protect this years crop.

Peter

The operation having been overseen by General Lassitude I presume? Keeps the competition down though! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”