Heating my home

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
StephenCrete

Heating my home

Postby StephenCrete » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:04 am

Hi all

I moved to Gavalohori in April this year and am renting a traditional 2 bedroom house. The property is quite big and has a "U" shaped setup with a centre courtyard, meaning I have to enter it to go from room to room.

The property has oil central heating and at the time of writing this I have approx 220 litres of oil in the tank.
My question is regarding advice for heating the property efficiently throughout the winter, especially during wet windy periods, having not spent a full winter here should I also invest in a couple of electric heaters for when I just want to heat the bedroom and not the whole house?

I live with my partner and looking at the best way to keep the house relatively warm but without wasting too much energy and money.

Any advise would be very appreciated,

Thank you
Stephen

Yin&Yang

Re: Heating my home

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:30 am

When we first moved here we rented a U-shaped old stone house which was very cold in the winter months, with no central heating and only AC units which would pump out warm air. They were useful but for that particular Winter, not sufficient. We invested in a couple of blow heaters and a gas heater (which you connect a gas bottle to). We found the gas heater in particular to be the quickest way of heating up a room and it was probably the most cost-effective.

Hope this helps :D

Lynn
Someday is now : )

StephenCrete

Postby StephenCrete » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:35 am

Hi Lynn

That's appreciated, thank you for a very quick response.

Stephen

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:05 am

Just a word of warning about gas heaters - yes, they are efficient for warming, but they pump out moisture, so be aware that you may be creating or adding to an existing damp issue which is likely to result in mould. I know this from painful experience!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:18 am

Hi Stephen , If you have a standard central heating system you may have thermostatic radiator valves , if you do you can use them to adjust the heat so the rooms you use more can have more heat and the rooms you use less can have less..so saving the oil and yet being warmer .. And I agree about the gas heaters very damp unless you have plenty of ventilation ....NB see photo of thermostatic valve .. hope this helps .jeff

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 am

Inverter aircon units are a more efficient way of heating a single room than a simple electric heater but cost more to buy and need professional installation. All simple electric heaters put 1 kWh of heat energy into a room for each 1 kWh of electrical energy consumed. An efficient heat pump system will put around 3 to 4 kWh of heat energy into the room for each 1 kWh of electrical energy consumed. If you do opt for a simple electrical heater, fan heaters and oil filled radiators heat the room better than radiant heaters.

Warwick

StephenCrete

Postby StephenCrete » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm

altohb wrote:Just a word of warning about gas heaters - yes, they are efficient for warming, but they pump out moisture, so be aware that you may be creating or adding to an existing damp issue which is likely to result in mould. I know this from painful experience!

Thank you for this I will keep this in mind,

StephenCrete

Postby StephenCrete » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Kilkis wrote:Inverter aircon units are a more efficient way of heating a single room than a simple electric heater but cost more to buy and need professional installation. All simple electric heaters put 1 kWh of heat energy into a room for each 1 kWh of electrical energy consumed. An efficient heat pump system will put around 3 to 4 kWh of heat energy into the room for each 1 kWh of electrical energy consumed. If you do opt for a simple electrical heater, fan heaters and oil filled radiators heat the room better than radiant heaters.

Warwick

Thank you Warwick, I appreciate the information

StephenCrete

Postby StephenCrete » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:56 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Hi Stephen , If you have a standard central heating system you may have thermostatic radiator valves , if you do you can use them to adjust the heat so the rooms you use more can have more heat and the rooms you use less can have less..so saving the oil and yet being warmer .. And I agree about the gas heaters very damp unless you have plenty of ventilation ....NB see photo of thermostatic valve .. hope this helps .jeff

Thanks Jeff will have a look at my thermostats and adjust them accordingly

Return to “General Discussion & News”