Donations to the Needy

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Donations to the Needy

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:01 pm

I guess everybody is aware that some supermarkets have large baskets after the checkout where you can donate food items to be distributed to those less fortunate. I have just watched a Sky News item that anybody who has contact with those doing the distribution might like to think about.

A group of teenagers in Exeter were doing a short Citizenship course and had a brainstorming session on things they could do to help the community. One of the group mentioned that her family had, from time-to-time, needed to use a foodbank so they started discussing how they could help the foodbank. They came up with the bright idea of getting the local Sainsbury supermarket to put labels next to priority items that foodbanks need. Sainsbury trialled it in the local store and it increased the donations by 300 %. They are now going to roll it out across all Sainsbury stores. The simple idea solves two problems:

1 Often people only see the donation basket after they have gone through checkout and at that point they need everything they have bought. The labels get them to think about buying a few extra things while they are shopping so the number of donations should increase.
    2 Those that do remember to buy items don't really know what to buy. I guess we all know that it needs to be non-perishable but other than that we have no idea. Look at the basket and it is full of pasta, rice and beans and very little else. By marking items on the shelves that are a priority for the foodbank the donations will become more relevant.

It is no big hassle for the supermarket because the priority items tend to be constant so once they have placed the labels they don't need to keep changing them. Anything anybody buys to put in the donation basket is an extra sale for the store so more revenue. The organisation helping the needy gets more donations so can help more people. The people making the donation know that they are really providing what is required. A win-win-win-win deal. You don't get those very often.

If anybody has contact with organisations distributing food donations they might suggest it to them as an idea to discus with the supermarkets making the donations.

Warwick

Clio

Re: Donations to the Needy

Postby Clio » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:41 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... food-banks
Not just food items. An interview with workers at a homeless shelter made me realise how much appreciated would be toiletries - toothpaste and brushes, shampoo, etc. Women shoppers can also reflect that it's a kind and sisterly thing to do, to donate sanitary products.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:09 pm

The lad on the right, with glasses, red hair and a beard, in the photo in the linked article was the one talking on Sky News with someone from Sainsbury responsible for their social programmes. I think it is a brilliant, simple idea. If the CEOs of all supermarket chains aren't asking the relevant director, "Why aren't we doing this?" then they aren't doing their job.

I agree that other things are needed, Clio. In the UK it might help if the government didn't rate women's sanitary products as "luxury items" for tax purposes? Perhaps a female Chancellor might be a good thing, although you would have thought that a female prime minister might have some influence? I don't know what the situation is in Greece for such items.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:15 pm

Yes a good idea , I'm never sure what to buy to put in the basket , so I stick with the pasta , beans , rice and thing...but if the supermarket upped their game and pointed out the products needed locally and then matched it with a like for like donation ...that would /might have an impact ..

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:55 pm

excellent idea. Thank you. Will talk to our local supermarket owner. Maybe get his permission to make some labels and then in conjunction with advice from Social Supermarket, put the labels next to the items concerned. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:54 am

Brilliant idea, thank you for sharing dear Warwick! :!: :!: :!:

margarita

Postby margarita » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:32 pm

bobscott wrote:excellent idea. Thank you. Will talk to our local supermarket owner. Maybe get his permission to make some labels and then in conjunction with advice from Social Supermarket, put the labels next to the items concerned. Bob.

Are there still collection boxes for the Social Supermarket, Bob?

I haven't seen any in our local shops for ages.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:36 pm

margarita wrote:
bobscott wrote:excellent idea. Thank you. Will talk to our local supermarket owner. Maybe get his permission to make some labels and then in conjunction with advice from Social Supermarket, put the labels next to the items concerned. Bob.

Yes. We collect from the minimarket in Kokkino Horio and Costas' minimarket in Plaka. I think (but don't quote me) there is still one in SYNKA. John Eardley would be a good person to contact - he is the one who persuades shopkeepers to have the baskets. I can pm hi e-mail to you if you don't have it. Let me know before we go 'abroad' early Saturday for a week! Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Apologies for the typos - am watching TV at the moment! Also the SYNKA is in Kalyves. Bob.

margarita

Postby margarita » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:14 pm

bobscott wrote:
margarita wrote:

Yes. We collect from the minimarket in Kokkino Horio and Costas' minimarket in Plaka. I think (but don't quote me) there is still one in SYNKA. John Eardley would be a good person to contact - he is the one who persuades shopkeepers to have the baskets. I can pm hi e-mail to you if you don't have it. Let me know before we go 'abroad' early Saturday for a week! Bob.

Thanks, Bob. I have John Eardly's e-mail address. I will have to keep my eyes open for the collection boxes when we go to SYNKA.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:27 pm

SYNKA in Kalyves do have a box, at the front of the shop.
Someday is now : )

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 am

The INKA in Kefalas has a collection basket. (Could use some labels there, too!)

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 am

To balance this out - for those in the far East of the island. Xalkiadakis, Ariadne and Lidl in Sitia all have boxes for the social supermarket.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:17 am

I think all Lidls have them. I think some of the other "chains" operate more on a franchise basis so it is possible some franchisees choose to have them and some not.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”