Block on renewal of IKA books due to BREXIT

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Block on renewal of IKA books due to BREXIT

Postby bobscott » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:11 pm

This is just a rumour at the moment but heard today that IKA are refusing to renew health care books for UK expats because of the BREXIT situation. Can't quite get my head around that unless they are saying that they know there will be a 'no-deal situation' by 29th March . Anyone heard anything? Bob

PS. I decided to put this in the General Discussion and news section rather than the BREXIT one because it applies whatever one's view is of BREXIT. If it's in the wrong place, I am sure Carol will move it!!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Carolina
Site Admin

Re: Block on renewal of IKA books due to BREXIT

Postby Carolina » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 pm

bobscott wrote:This is just a rumour at the moment but heard today that IKA are refusing to renew health care books for UK expats because of the BREXIT situation. Can't quite get my head around that unless they are saying that they know there will be a 'no-deal situation' by 29th March . Anyone heard anything? Bob

Not heard anything, but it actually makes sense as the current IKA books are valid until 28th February 2019. Who knows where we will be with Brexit on the 1st March 2019 (when the IKA books expire) or on 29th March? If there is no Brexit deal or it is still unclear then IKA may just decide to give an extension on March 1st to MArch 29th until the situation is 'solved' one way or another.

Nobody knows yet, one way or another. It shouldn't be a surprise, this is what Brexit means for those of us Brits living in the EU - complete uncertainty (see my post on the Brexit thread about Ring Fencing our rights).

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:20 pm

I just got my first IKA book on the 20th of November ....it is valid until 28th of February next year ..I am an optimist by nature ,but it seems a good sign that if they are still issuing IKA books now, they will renew it next year. People who apply for an IKA book after March ,who knows ? Maybe during what is being called "The Transitional Period " UK citizens will be able to sign up with IKA with no problems .Once again who knows ? Maybe my book will become a museum piece.Ha Ha ..side issue ,When they renew the IKA book do they just put a sticker in the front with a new valid from valid to date , or renew the whole (in my case unused )book ? good post about "the Ring fence our rights" btw ..

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:... Maybe during what is being called "The Transitional Period " UK citizens will be able to sign up with IKA with no problems. ..

There is only a Transition/Implementation Period if a deal is agreed. In the event of no-deal all agreements cease on 29 March 2019. Unless and until the UK agrees a bilateral agreement with Greece, reciprocal healthcare should cease on that day in the event of no-deal. In the event of any deal with a transition/implementation period everything, i.e. issuing new books or renewing books, should carry on as normal for both new and existing residents at least until the end of that period, e.g. 31 December 2020 or later if it is extended. If the deal includes mutual healthcare rights for existing residents then it should continue indefinitely at least for those residents.

I don't see why there is an issue about renewing books at local offices. As Jeff points out IKA no longer relies on a sticker in the front of the book to show whether you are entitled to healthcare or not. Everything is now done on line. A doctor wants to see your book in order to get information like your IKA number or your AMKA number. He then enters that into an online healthcare web site. If you are entitled to healthcare he can create prescriptions etc. If not he can't. IKA/EOPPY/EFKA could turn off your entitlement in that system during the night of 29/30 March 2019 if no deal is agreed.

Warwick

Al

Postby Al » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:18 pm

As to refusing renewal, in previous years I have tried to renew as early as December (a mistake) and even in January, only to be refused on the grounds that I was too early. My local KEP does not accept IKA books until early February. My understanding of the mutual agreement between Greece and the UK is that, although forged under the umbrella of the EU, it is an individual country to country agreement, and as such should be easily ratified post Brexit. I hope I'm right. Someone here will correct me if I'm not.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Not really. The reciprocal agreement on citizens rights in the proposed EU withdrawal agreement is between the UK and the EU and would apply in all EU member states. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal then it would be necessary for the UK to negotiate bilateral agreements with each member state that was willing to do so. On the EU side the withdrawal agreement would be approved using the qualified majority voting process so it cannot be vetoed by any single member state. The future relationship, however, will be adopted as a new EU Treaty and so can be vetoed by any single member state. So, for example, Spain could not block the withdrawal agreement, as it was threatening to do because of the way Gibraltar was being dealt with, but it could block the future relationship deal. That is my understanding.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Al wrote:As to refusing renewal, in previous years I have tried to renew as early as December (a mistake) and even in January, only to be refused on the grounds that I was too early. My local KEP does not accept IKA books until early February. My understanding of the mutual agreement between Greece and the UK is that, although forged under the umbrella of the EU, it is an individual country to country agreement, and as such should be easily ratified post Brexit. I hope I'm right. Someone here will correct me if I'm not.

A few years ago I had to go into Chania during the last week of December. I thought I might as well drop in on the way to see if I could get them done - took about 5 minutes.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:01 pm

I've usually gone in between Christmas and New Year or in early January and got the book renewed without a problem. I will report back what happens this year. That's the Souda road office in Chania.

Warwick

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi everyone,hope you all had a Merry Christmas.
Ive just returned from IKA on Souda road and was politely told to come back on March 1st as it was too early to renew books.I always go between Christmas and New Year but they wont do it this year. Hope this saves everyone a wasted journey.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks for the info, Midlander. I was planning to go to the Souda office next Thursday so I will give it a miss.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Kilkis wrote:Thanks for the info, Midlander. I was planning to go to the Souda office next Thursday so I will give it a miss.

Warwick

Will probably try later next week Warwick. If we all turn up on March 1st we will be there forever! Bob

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:43 pm

bobscott wrote:
Kilkis wrote:Thanks for the info, Midlander. I was planning to go to the Souda office next Thursday so I will give it a miss.

Warwick

Will probably try later next week Warwick. If we all turn up on March 1st we will be there forever! Bob

Nice double bluff :lol:
Men in suits will always make you pay.

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Midlander wrote:Hi everyone,hope you all had a Merry Christmas.
Ive just returned from IKA on Souda road and was politely told to come back on March 1st as it was too early to renew books.I always go between Christmas and New Year but they wont do it this year. Hope this saves everyone a wasted journey.

Surprisingly I got the same response today, do I detect some consistency arising, or is that the Friday answer :-)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:52 pm

I wrote an email to DWP, since they are responsible for issuing S1 Forms to UK State Pensioners. I don't have a copy of the exact question, since it was asked in an online form, but it basically asked if they were aware that IKA were refusing to renew healthcare books. Below is their response:

Thank your for your recent email.

I appreciate your concerns in this matter, however, as you hold a registered S1 in Crete then your healthcare remains covered by the UK. This is regardless of whether you hold an up to date healthcare book in Crete or not. If you were to require medical treatment in Crete and you are asked for payment, then the EOPYY should be able to reimburse you for medical costs if you are not in possession of a valid healthcare book at the time.

Can I suggest that you raise your concerns with the EOPYY via the following email address; ehic@eopyy.gov.gr .

Regards
    Craig White

Overseas Healthcare Team | Telephony | Department for Work and Pensions | Debt Centre Washington | M0401 | Durham House | Washington | Tyne and Wear | NE38 7SF | 0191 2181999 www.gov.uk

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Kilkis wrote:I wrote an email to DWP, since they are responsible for issuing S1 Forms to UK State Pensioners. I don't have a copy of the exact question, since it was asked in an online form, but it basically asked if they were aware that IKA were refusing to renew healthcare books. Below is their response:

Thank your for your recent email.

I appreciate your concerns in this matter, however, as you hold a registered S1 in Crete then your healthcare remains covered by the UK. This is regardless of whether you hold an up to date healthcare book in Crete or not. If you were to require medical treatment in Crete and you are asked for payment, then the EOPYY should be able to reimburse you for medical costs if you are not in possession of a valid healthcare book at the time.

Can I suggest that you raise your concerns with the EOPYY via the following email address; ehic@eopyy.gov.gr .

Regards
    Craig White

Overseas Healthcare Team | Telephony | Department for Work and Pensions | Debt Centre Washington | M0401 | Durham House | Washington | Tyne and Wear | NE38 7SF | 0191 2181999 http://www.gov.uk

Warwick

Thought I had responded to this yesterday, but it appears not.

Two points Warwick. Do we know for certain that there is a block on IKA book renewal? In my original post I said it was a rumour. Secondly, I would imagine the DWP hasn't the first clue about how this all operates in reality. With your past experiences I am sure you would be dubious about claiming money back from EOPYY without a valid IKA permit! I certainly would.

Bob.

Return to “General Discussion & News”