Block on renewal of IKA books due to BREXIT

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Block on renewal of IKA books due to BREXIT

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:38 pm

I went to IKA yesterday and got a copy of the ΥΠΕΥΘΥΝΗ ΔΗΛΩΣΗ for 2019. The declaration is:

Δεν συνταξιοδοτούμαι ούτε ασφαλίζομαι από ‘αλλο Ασφαλιστικό Φορέα. Σε περίπτωση ασφάλισης ή
    συνδαξιοδότησης μου από άλλο φορέα στο μέλλον υποχρεούμαι να το γνωστοποιήσω εγκαίρως στο
    ΕΦΚΑ – ΤΕΩΣ ΙΚΑ ΕΤΑΜ

Roughly translated this means (I think?):

I am not retired from or insure myself with any other Insurer. In case of insurance or
    retirement from another institution in the future I am obliged to disclose it in time to
    EFKA - IKA ETAM

It seems to only be relevant for Greek nationals and it is a bit of an odd declaration for an ex-pat to sign? We are insured through another insurer, i.e. National Insurance in the UK. It is NI in the UK, through DWP, that are paying for our healthcare authorised with an S1 Form. IKA provide the healthcare but do not pay for it.

Warwick

WilfySwarez

Postby WilfySwarez » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 am

Went to IKA office in Souda today, got there just before 8am . IKA books ,my wife and mine, sorted and out by 8.15, they did not want to see any paperwork, which we had taken all, plus the kitchen sink, just had to fill in the normal form, name,father mother etc and all done.
As a side note because it was still early went to a coffe shop,Mikel, right by the ferry in Souda had a very reasonable cappuccino and croissant but the loo was something I had never seen before, if you passed your hand over a small green light an 'arm' came out the seat turned and was washed in readiness. Very modern....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:07 am

Presumably that means that you have to be a bit careful where you wave your arms while still seated?

Warwick

Al

Postby Al » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:55 pm

In KEP today on another matter Was invited to have my book renewed. Panic over???

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Out of curiosity, Al, did KEP ask you to sign a declaration of the type I described above?

I can confirm that three friends and I went to the Souda Road office of IKA yesterday and got our books renewed without a problem. They required the books, our passports and to sign the declaration. Nothing else was requested. There were two desks open. One, #4, was very quick and efficient. The other, #2, seemed to be a trainee, was very slow and needed repeated help from a supervisor. We didn't go early, i.e. arrived around 10:00, and it wasn't very busy, i.e. our first ticket was 10 higher than the person being served. Altogether it took about 45 minutes, during which time #2 served two other people.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Our trip to IKA on Souda Avenue took about 55 minutes but could have been much less. Desk # 4 was clogged for most of the time by an "agent" acting on behalf of about 10 (or more) clients. Meanwhile, desk # 3 dealt with renewal of the health books interspersed with a couple of other matters, a couple of which inevitably involved several documents and seemed quite complex. Processing our two renewals took about five minutes: we filled out and signed the declaration form, the clerk checked our Passport numbers and keyed the info into the computer. Big smile, "That's complete; good morning." "Thank you. Good morning." Job done.

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:49 pm

Successfully updated my book on tuesday.All 4 desks open when i arrived at 10am and i was on my way home 45 minutes later. They did keep photocopies of passport and residence permit that i always take with me although not specifically asked for .

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:58 pm

We took Passports, RPs and latest tax return copies and gave what was asked for: completed declarations and check of Passport numbers, nowt else.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:14 pm

filippos wrote:We took Passports, RPs and latest tax return copies and gave what was asked for: completed declarations and check of Passport numbers, nowt else.

Took ours to Kalyves KEP this morning. They took copies of passport and residence permit. Didn't want anything from the tax office because we are both 'independent' in IKA (i.e. neither is a dependent of the other) which seems to be the criterion for wanting end of year tax statement. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Went to IKA building today 29th to renew books, arrived 10 AM got job done and away by 10.45, went on Monday 28th about 11 AM very busy so came back home to Kolimbari. :D
Dave H

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:07 pm

Never ever go to any government office on a Monday or a Friday. The best combination is generally middle of the day, middle of the week and middle of the month, although that needs some adjustment depending on the particular office.

For example I think that some sections of the IKA offices, e.g. on the first floor, are closed on a Wednesday so Tuesday or Thursday is best for them. Also middle of the day can be a bit risky with those offices that issue a numbered ticket because they often stop issuing them after a certain time so a bit earlier is safer for those services. Don't leave it too late in the day as some offices, where the staff work until 14:30, may stop dealing with customers much earlier than that, e.g. 13:00.

At this time of year checking the weather is worthwhile. A lot of people spend most of their time picking olives and they can't do that when it is raining so they are more likely to do other tasks, e.g. visiting IKA/Tax Office etc when it is raining or on the first fine day after heavy rain. Two or three fine days should see the numbers in government offices drop quite markedly.

The rule also works for banks, especially the National Bank of Greece, which seems more prone to long queues. Also avoid deadline dates for paying things like ENFIA, road tax etc. Online government portals and web banking have helped but not totally relieved the congestion.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm

For the first time in 10 years our IKA book was renewed on the spot in the KEP office yesterday. Previously the very unhelpful person in there insisted on sending it to the main IKA office, where I imagine it sat in the 'pending' pile until we complained enough. But that person has been replaced by someone who's very helpful.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:10 pm

The last time I renewed through a KEP office was 3 or 4 years ago. The lady tried to renew it online, as she would for a Greek citizen, but said that she couldn't do it for foreigners that have an IKA book via an S1 form. She said those had to be sent to IKA. She did everything for me, and some friends who went at the same time, and the books were ready to collect a few weeks later with no need to remind them. She also gave us a paper that she said that we could use if we needed to visit an IKA doctor before the books were returned that would prove we had IKA cover. All very quick, efficient and helpful. Perhaps the rules have changed now?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:53 pm

Kilkis wrote:Never ever go to any government office on a Monday or a Friday. The best combination is generally middle of the day, middle of the week and middle of the month, although that needs some adjustment depending on the particular office.

Warwick

Absolutely agree with that Warwick! Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Kilkis wrote: She also gave us a paper that she said that we could use if we needed to visit an IKA doctor before the books were returned that would prove we had IKA cover. All very quick, efficient and helpful. Perhaps the rules have changed now?

Warwick

These days, if you have a note of your AMKA number, no need for the book - the doctor can just look you up on 'the system' and hey presto, away we go. Bob.

Return to “General Discussion & News”