Road Tax

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
SueA

Road Tax

Postby SueA » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:31 pm

For anyone late with their road tax, the deadline has been extended till 11/01/19 ... http://sofokleous10.gr/index.php/2014-0 ... january-11

Kilkis

Re: Road Tax

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:01 am

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Was there ever a year when the deadline wasn't extended? Never go anywhere near a Greek bank on 31 December.

Warwick

SueA

Postby SueA » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:23 am

We are very lucky here in Elounda to have Tech Hub, a small technology shop where we can pay bills such as road tax. We no longer have to queue for hours at the bank or post office - at least until everyone finds out that this service is available!

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:45 am

SueA wrote:We are very lucky here in Elounda to have Tech Hub, a small technology shop where we can pay bills such as road tax. We no longer have to queue for hours at the bank or post office - at least until everyone finds out that this service is available!

I paid ours from this very laptop. Why is it necessary to go to a shop?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:58 am

I the old days I used pay the road tax in the kitchen to Stephenula the post lady ...give her the cash and the reminder and the next time she was in the village I got the window sticker ...now we do it on line ..it's very easy ...I think Stavros on here has posted instructions ....

SueA

Postby SueA » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:39 pm

GlennB wrote:
SueA wrote:We are very lucky here in Elounda to have Tech Hub, a small technology shop where we can pay bills such as road tax. We no longer have to queue for hours at the bank or post office - at least until everyone finds out that this service is available!

I paid ours from this very laptop. Why is it necessary to go to a shop?

It's not necessary to go to a shop, but some people, believe it not, do not have access to the internet, or prefer not to use online banking! It is a very useful service for those people. Also, as is happening in the UK, if we don't use these shops, they will disappear.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:53 pm

How do you pay online if you are one of the 4 million plus Greeks who have had their bank account frozen for tax arrears?

The Greek government is experiencing the law of unintended consequences. First they want to encourage people to pay for everything electronically so merchants cannot hide their sales and will have to pay the VAT they owe. They do that by making the tax rebate, equivalent to the zero percent income tax band in the UK, conditional on workers having spent a percentage of their salary in this way. Secondly they want to recoup the unpaid tax owed. They do this by freezing the bank accounts of those in arrears. This has caused a situation where merchants that would normally pay their staff by bank transfer and would happily accept card payments are now asking for cash. Many of their staff's accounts are frozen, so they cannot pay wages into them, and capital controls stop them drawing enough money out of their business account to pay their staff in cash. Instead of forcing companies who were doing everything by cash to change to electronic payment it ends up forcing those that were already largely accepting electronic payments to switch to asking for cash. Crazy world.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Kilkis wrote:How do you pay online if you are one of the 4 million plus Greeks who have had their bank account frozen for tax arrears?
Warwick

You can get someone to do it for you. I just taxed a friend's car who is currently in France, through my on-line banking, just needed their Tax no and reg. They then gave me the money.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Jeffstclair wrote: ...now we do it on line ..it's very easy ...

It is very easy for those that can get online and have a bank that provides the facility; I'm not sure that all the smaller banks do so.

With Bank of Piraeus it took me, oooooooh, two minutes. Log on, go to Payments > Popular Payments and vehicle tax is top of the list8. Enter AFM and Registration (I used Greek keyboard) in the boxes provided. Click the button to retrieve Amount due and reference number and the necessary info boxes pop up pre-filled. Check info is correct and click Pay Now. Download pdf confirming payment made. Log out.

* Why Car tax is listed as a "Popular Payment" I can't imagine. I needn't have wasted time with the print out as the bank e-mailed a Payment Made confirmation.

Al

Postby Al » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:08 pm

As I'm with the local small bank about once a week I just ask the guys there to pay my car tax. They make a note and do it later when they have time. No fee, no hassle, no queuing.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Al wrote:As I'm with the local small bank about once a week I just ask the guys there to pay my car tax. They make a note and do it later when they have time. No fee, no hassle, no queuing.

Petros and staff are very obliging but as I do have an online facility I don't need to stroll to the bank (where there might be a queue from time to time) and there's never a queue at my computer. There's also less chance of my forgetting to pay; when I boot the computer the first thing I see on the desktop is a large "sticky note" reminder which stays there until I have paid.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:36 pm

For those who only have an account with the Cooperative Bank of Chania, their banking web site is still not available in English so then it often easier to go in a branch than use Internet banking, unless your Greek is fluent. I can negotiate the site in Greek but I find pop-ups hard to deal with so I don't use it.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”