What does being a greek resident get me?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
chrissyg

What does being a greek resident get me?

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Brexit aside for a moment, we have got our residents permits but dont yet live here permanently. I know it will be easier to buy a car if we want to at some stage but is there anything else we are entitled to or any other benefit i dont realise?

BST

Re: What does being a greek resident get me?

Postby BST » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:02 pm

No!

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Never ever been asked to produce it for anything else other than buying cars.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:30 pm

You also need it to transfer a UK driving licence to a Greek one, issued at least 95 days before the licence application, and IKA were asking to see them last year when you renewed your healthcare book. I think Carol said that they are also needed now to obtain a healthcare book in the first place.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:52 pm

If you (legally) work here in Greece you need one to register with IKA /EFKA National Insurance, for your contributions.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:57 pm

By benefits, if you mean social security benefits, there are generally very few in Greece and they are based on Greek National Insurance contributions and very low incomes.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:45 pm

What is the IKa exactly and Is it like the NHS and is that only for working people? My EHIC will i assume be worth nothing after brexit. No, by benefits i was just thinking of local things like they have in uk. Eg entry to local attractions, parking and such, bus pass freebie kind of things. From your answers i guess not. Just wondered.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:03 pm

I was told you got the benefit of a discount at the local water park if you could prove you lived here if that's your thing.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:28 pm

And we get free entry into seeing the ruins at Aptera because we live in the village.
Someday is now : )

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:37 pm

I used to go to the waterparks when the kids were young but rarely go now. Is the Aptera discount just the village? Not far from that and would probably take visitors there. When we lived in Bath they had a residents card where we could go to loads of attractions like the Roman Baths and got a few shop discounts too( made up a bit for the ridiculous car parking charges!!)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Some time ago Greece did not have a single National Insurance scheme, like NI in the UK, but well over 100 separate insurance schemes providing healthcare and pensions for different types of workers. IKA was the biggest one and the one that interfaced with NI in the UK for the purposes of reciprocal benefits such as healthcare.

All of us who are UK State Pensioners qualify for healthcare in Greece, paid for by the UK, under an EU wide reciprocal healthcare scheme. DWP issues us with an S1 form that we take to IKA and IKA issues us with an IKA healthcare book exactly like any other Greek citizen who has worked and paid into IKA. The book is then used to obtain medical services from any doctor or hospital that cooperates with IKA, not all do. More recently there has been a lot of amalgamation in the workers' insurance sector. The healthcare part of virtually all insurers were united under the term EOPYY. More recently still the pension part of virtually all insurance schemes have also been amalgamated so now there is largely a single healthcare and pension scheme called EFKA. Most of us continue to refer to it as IKA and the healthcare part of it is generally referred to as EOPYY.

Technically you shouldn't use a UK issued EHIC once you have moved permanently to Greece although many people do. Whether a UK issued EHIC, or an IKA healthcare book obtained through an S1 Form, will still have any validity after Brexit will depend on the final deal with the EU or with any bilateral deals if there isn't a common EU one.

I believe you can get a discount at the water park just outside Varipetro near Chania, the one Kamisiana referred to as local, if you are resident. That will not necessarily apply to other water parks as they are privately owned so it is up to the owner. You can also get in free at the one near Varipetro if you are over 65, or you could the last time I went, which is quite a few years ago now.

As Carol pointed out any benefits in Greece are few and far between and usually restricted to very low incomes. Unemployment benefit lasts for a maximum of 1 year I think and there is no safety net after that. You also lose your healthcare when you have been unemployed for a year. The general rule is "No pay - no play". Some would depend on being both resident and tax resident.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:17 pm

Thanks Warwick, i am still crossing my fingers with regards to the EHIC card after Brexit. I am not a State pensioner for another 4 yrs unfortunately.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:10 am

I don't know if free entrance to the Aptera ruins is for village residents only but it is worth checking, which I will do.
Someday is now : )

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:53 am

I seem to remember that it wwas very cheap anyway, i dont suppose Knossos is cheaper for residents which would be useful . Do they do concessions for over 60s in crete generally anyway regardless of residency?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:28 pm

The Knossos cheap ticket concession is for over 65 not over 60. There are some days when entry is free for everybody. See here for details. I would guess that the over 65 concession and some of those free dates apply to other archaeological sites. For example I got into the Parthenon site on the first Sunday in November many years ago purely by accident. I just happened to go on that day and discovered that it was free. I would have happily paid.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”