Info for getting married in Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
border collie mad

Info for getting married in Crete

Postby border collie mad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:21 am

Hi

My partner and myself are waiting to move to Crete but need to sell our place in France first….

We were going to wait until we lived there to get married but decided we would not wait and would like to get married there in the Chania regeon this year in June. I hae contacted a few wedding planners but they want 2000 euros to arrange stuff and to be honest what we want is simple, with a few friends, will hire a large villa and want the cerimony in the garden. So we really only need to arrange the person who will marry us and the translator, and I really dont want to pay 2000 euros just for that! We know the area well as we come every year and I can arrange everything else myself…

So my question is…..does anyone know where to start! Where can I find a list of sertified translators for the paperwork and how do I finf a list of people who can marry us……We want a civil cerimony that is legal.

I look forward to hearing back from anyone who can help pint us in the right direction.

Thank you

Kookla

Re: Info for getting married in Crete

Postby Kookla » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:11 am

You don’t need to pay anything like that amount of money. Look online ‘documents needed for foreigners (or your nationality)marrying in Greece. If either of you have been married before you need the decree absolut paper as well. Check with your Nation’s Consulate. The process here needs paperwork from both, you can get it translated before you arrive if cheaper or in Chania, when here. Your local KEP ( kind of like the UK Citizens’ Advice Bureau) here can also help and advise you. You can arrange with a local taverna owner for a meal/ reception after and the mayor or civil servant who conducts the civil ceremony will need to be paid as well, and nice for that person to be invited to reception too. The villa you stay at will also help you I’m sure.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:04 pm

I think most documents from abroad will probably need an Apostille from the relevant government department confirming the legality of that document. Translations done in Greece are typically around €40 per A4 sheet. You may get it a bit cheaper but it is a good comparison figure to use if you are deciding whether to get it translated here or at home. Some lawyers will give a discount in some circumstances, e.g. a translation of a document for your own use, but if it is an official translation they usually need to charge the full amount for tax reasons.

A friend's daughter got married in Crete. He estimates that just for the paperwork from the UK for both bride and groom, Apostille stamps, translations, paperwork at the Greek end and the town hall official who did the wedding cost over €1,500. That is a slightly high estimate because there was some complication with the paperwork. He did use a wedding planner but her fee was on top of that, plus the cost of a vicar to carry out a religious blessing after the civil ceremony plus the cost of the reception plus the cost of accommodation. Better to live ower t'brush I reckon.

Warwick

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:28 pm

That’s it Warwick! ‘Apostille’ is the word that I couldn’t remember.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Legal civil ceremonies are only organised through the town halls so the local town hall (Dimos) in the area where you want your wedding ( i.e. where your rental villa is located) is the place to start. Usually a Vice Mayor will officiate at the service, but I’m not sure that all Dimos’ will organise this outside of the town hall, I think it is up to the local Dimos.

I know that it is possible in the Apokoronas area, (Kalyves. Almirida etc) and Vrisses town hall covers this area.

You’d need to check with the local Dimos first and then book your date. Then at least 8 days before (you’d need to check this) the wedding they need all the paperwork (legalised, certified, translations) to issue the Marriage Licence.

The town hall charge around 200 to 300 euros extra for an official to officiate at a wedding taking place outside of the town hall, this may vary according to the area as the charge is up to the local council.

In addition, you may need someone to translate the ceremony on the day, if you want it in decent English, and you can organise an order of service with the town hall if you wish e.g. there are no vows in a Greek service, so if you wish you could say them at the end of the service, or add readings etc. but it’s important you communicate this . A wedding planner would usually take care of all this.

The legal wedding could also take place at the town hall and then organise a ceremony at the villa with a celebrant. Try searching on google just for a celebrant in Crete.

€2000 is a lot just for the service, this is something they would normally charge to organise & oversee everything for a wedding.

For paperwork you need, for each partner:
- Full birth certificate (including father & mother’s names)
- CNI
- Divorce Absolut if divorced or a Death certificate if a previous partner deceased.

These need to be legalised in the UK with the Hague Convention Apostille stamp, at the legalisation office. (serach online)
Then officially translated into Greek and certified – best done in Crete & a translator will do both e.g. Chryssoulla Jemanakis in Chania
http://www.cjtranslations.gr/main_eng.html

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:53 pm

I think the person who carried out the civil ceremony for my friend's daughter's wedding was from Chania town hall so it looks like they will also do it at an outside venue. The service was at a small holiday villa complex in Daratso.

For the benefit of those who have never attended a Greek church wedding I think the priest asks both the bride and the groom if they consent to marry each other at the door of the church. I presume that at a civil wedding the town hall official asks the same question. From that point on the whole service is conducted by the priest(s) or the official. The couple participate in doing things but they don't really say anything.

It is similar at baptisms. The godparents make all their commitments near the door of the church before moving to the font. After that virtually everything is said by the priest. Again the godparents participate in doing things but not really saying anything. It is pretty normal for the couple who act as best man and woman at the wedding to be the godparents at the baptism of the first child. It is possible for a non-Orthodox person to act as best man/woman but not as a godparent. Scooby and his wife were best man and woman for a Greek friend and neighbour and participated in the Orthodox wedding, e.g. standing behind the couple at the alter, swapping the rings on the heads etc, but they weren't subsequently godparents.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Kilkis wrote:The couple participate in doing things but they don't really say anything.
At the wedding we attended last Saturday the bride and groom spent about half the ceremony whispering to one another and their κουμπάροι. Everyone else seemed to treat the event like any other Greek social occasion with a bit of marrying going on in the background.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 pm

Agreed. Obviously I was referring to them not saying anything official as part of the ceremony. I like the way the photographers tend to elbow the priest(s) out of the way to get the shot they want.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Not into the whole'marriage' thing but me and my partner would like to have a civil partnership for financial reasons and we own a property here. Looks like we will wait forever for the UK to legalise hetero partnerships and just wondered if anyone knew a quick cheap way on Crete to do it?

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:25 pm

me and my partner would like to have a civil partnership for financial reasons and we own a property here. Looks like we will wait forever for the UK to legalise hetero partnerships and just wondered if anyone knew a quick cheap way on Crete to do it?

Very simple here. It's called Σύμφωνο συμβίωσης and it's something that you write and sign together at a notary.Finished! I don't know if it can be written in a language other than Greek,
No need for a lawyer (unless you need him or her to explain all your options).
This link here explains what it's about: https://www.tlife.gr/sxeseis/symfono-sy ... s-to-i-do/ It's in Greek but use Google translate if you don't understand.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm

We did what Jean is describing two years ago. It cost us around €400. Once signed and witnessed with a Notary, you take the Contract to your local Registrar who registers it.
Someday is now : )

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Once signed and witnessed with a Notary, you take the Contract to your local Registrar who registers it.

What's a local registrar? Isn't it the notary who registers it?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

The Registrar is the ληξίαρχος. The document must be registered at the Registry Office - ληξίαρχειο - at the Dimos.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 pm

OK, got it!

DJ

Postby DJ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:30 pm

I am sure that there will be some guidance online that will tell you everything you want to know but here is my experience:
My wife and I were married in the Town Hall in Palekastro, near Sitia. We were the only English couple to be married there and probably the last as the Town Hall no longer exists (now a store for the local supermarket !).
We required:
Both birth certificates
My previous marriage certificate (I was the only one of us who had been married before)
My decree absolute

These documents had to be apostilled/stamped as legal at the Foreign and Commonwealth office in London.

They then has to be translated into Greek. We used a translator from a list on the Greek Embassy site.

The Greek versions then had to be apostilled/legalised at the Greek Embassy in London.

So - ready to go.

Once in Greece, we had to book the Town Hall and book the Mayor (this is for a civil ceremony - not sure of process for a church wedding). Then we needed to obtain a marriage licence from the local tax office. The announcement of our wedding was then placed on the Town Hall noticeboard for a number of days (seven I think).

It was to be a very small affair with a handful of Greek friends and a couple of English people from the town. We bought flowers and cakes from Sitia and kept them in the fridge at the supermarket overnight.

We gathered in the heat of the day (September 2006) at the Town Hall and the then mayor, a lovely man called Yiannis Perakis, arrived with a sheet of paper containing the service in English and - in his words - "A bottle of Metaxa to help us be calm." Naturally, drinking and eating followed.

Organising the paperwork did take some doing and it did cost some money but not a huge amount. There was no huge reception to pay for - in fact, our evening meal for a handful of people was paid for by others.

But it was worth it and we are now regarded as honorary citizens of Palekastro, a place we have visited for many years prior to our wedding and every year since.

Return to “General Discussion & News”