IKA and AMKA

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Re: IKA and AMKA

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:55 am

One point regarding free healthcare under this law and residence permits. After Brexit our EU Registration cards will be exchanged for some other type of permit, probably the electronic card which is issued to third country nationals (although this hasn't been confimed by the Greek govt, but they will presumably have to change our EU cards as we will no longer be EU citizens).

We don't know if this will be an automatic swap or whether we will need to provide paperwork again, including proof of health insurance. IF their is no reciprocal health agreement then those with an S1 or EHIC will no longer have cover and could be asked to provide proof of private health insurance in order to obtain the new permit.

It could be that those holding blue permanent residence cards will be swapped without question, while those with beige registration cards could be asked to provide paperwork & health cover.

This is all hypothetical, of course, but those with blue cards could have more automatic rights than those with beige cards, and if you can upgrade to the blue card now it might be worth doing.

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:46 pm

our first residence permits were blue now they are beige,issued in 2009 and we were told they are forever,in greek it says certainly
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Probably the first blue permit you had was the old residence permit that lasted five years and had to be renewed. A new Directive 2004/38/EC came into force in April 2004 with member states having to implement it in national law no later than April 2006. Your new, beige, document is an initial Residence Certificate issued under that Directive and it doesn't expire, like the old one did. However the same Directive also contains a Clause that introduces a Permanent Residence Certificate that people who have been here 5 years can apply for, which, rather confusingly, is also blue. There is no compulsion to get the Permanent Residence Certificate BUT under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, and probably under any bilateral agreement in the event of no-deal, people who have the Permanent Residence Certificate will get preferential treatment when it comes to issuing whatever new document is required. Hence the advice to get the Permanent Certificate if you qualify for it. In summary:

The beige certificate gives you the right to live in Greece and it does not expire.
The blue certificate gives you the right to live in Greece permanently.

It might be a subtle difference but it is an important one.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:33 pm

Stavros wrote:That is a great find dear Carol!

My only concern with this (and apologies if I sound pessimistic...) is that it was introduced in 2016 by the current ''left -ish'' Government, in line with its humanitarian approach to support people hit but the Greek crisis. As we will have elections this year, most probably in May, this can be withdrawn or modified from then on.

I am not trying to be political here but looking at the official numbers this Government states that we are now out of the crisis (which is far from the truth) so such initiatives might be withdrawn.

Well predicted Stavros! Just 4 days after the newly elected right wing Greek government come to power they begin retracting rights of migrants' AMKA health insurance https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... 1sEFFYRhQA

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:45 pm

Not exactly a surprise. I can't see any sort of social policies being high on Mitsotakis' agenda.

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:33 am

My understanding of this, is that they have NOT retracted the rights from people regarding AMKA, they have just rescinded the simpification process for acquiring an AMKA number from non EU citizens, illegal immigrants & refugees to what it was 1 month ago.
I am NOT saying I agree, but it's not as bad as it sounds. They are NOT saying they are going to withdraw AMKA numbers that have already been issued! I have had an AMKA number for nearly 6 years, I had IKA from 2013-2015 via S1 & IKA book. I have since paid for Private health insurance here. 6 months after I took out my private insurance, I ended up in Pagni, in Heraklion with kidney stones. My bill was reduced, because I was resident here & I could show my Resident permit, also several tests, including a CT scan were free beacause I had an AMKA number. My insurance company would have paid, but because I had an AMKA number they were done free, My doctor at the hospital, Pagni, was the head of the Urological department, he was the one that issued the tests for free under AMKA, he knew I had private insurance, who would have paid the bill. He said if you have an AMKA number, I can write this, I said I have an AMKA number, but I no longer have IKA, my insurance is now private, You have an AMKA number, no problem, I'll make the papers.
However, without him doing this, I might have had to travelled to Athens to be treated at a Private Hospital.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm

ros21m wrote:My understanding of this, is that they have NOT retracted the rights from people regarding AMKA, they have just rescinded the simpification process for acquiring an AMKA number from non EU citizens, illegal immigrants & refugees to what it was 1 month ago.
I am NOT saying I agree, but it's not as bad as it sounds. They are NOT saying they are going to withdraw AMKA numbers that have already been issued!.

You're correct, ros, that they have rescinded the simplification process of applying for an AMKA at present. But they have in fact now frozen the application process completely for non Eu citizens. I think perhaps currently frozen applications too for EU citizens applying now as they too were mentioned in the withdrawn circular.

Greek media headlines proclaiming ' AMKA only for Greeks'.

The new government will issue new instructions ' in a few days' (perhaps).

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:01 am

It's always reassuring to know that governments everywhere can decide what they are not going to do in nano seconds but deciding what they are going to do takes aeons.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Kilkis wrote:It's always reassuring to know that governments everywhere can decide what they are not going to do in nano seconds but deciding what they are going to do takes aeons.

Warwick

Steady on old chap. Not everyone on this forum understands an ironical statement, as shown in another post. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:29 am

While perusing chats on here I found this interesting re Healthcare cover. The new government has stopped all applications for AMKA with immediate effect.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am

Yorgo wrote:While perusing chats on here I found this interesting re Healthcare cover. The new government has stopped all applications for AMKA with immediate effect.

Link? Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm

I had to renew my prescription this morning so I asked my pharmacist what was going on. She said that when the social healthcare scheme was introduced it was supposed to provide basic healthcare for citizens who, for whatever reason, could not afford to pay for health insurance. This being Greece, a number of people who could afford to pay health insurance decided that they too could make use of the new scheme and so stopped making their contributions. Mitsotakis is trying to get these people out of the system. Apparently he is also trying to get private healthcare providers into the state health system, rather like the creeping privatisation of the NHS.

Such behaviour is also well established in the banking system. Greece has a massive quantity of non-performing loans, NPLs. When steps were taken to try to help those who genuinely couldn't afford to service their debts many, who were perfectly able to repay, stopped doing so. Why pay interest and your debt if the government is going to give you debt relief?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:26 pm

I went to the health centre in Vamos yesterday and was offered (and accepted) 6-months' worth of prescriptions. Doesn't mean they can't refuse to honour them after 31 October, but ................. Bob.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:25 pm

The big worry in this household of two S1 pensioners is just how much notice we might get of any loss of IKA rights.

Loss of IKA is terminal for us. We try to sell up and go back to the UK. If that loss is established at end of Oct and means our IKA won't be renewed next March then at least we have time to make somewhat thoughtful plans. If it's more abrupt (and I don't suppose it will) then it's time to make emergency arrangements.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:38 pm

I don't think you can take the renewal date of your IKA book as a certain criterion. When you go to the doctors to get a new prescription the doctor logs onto the online prescription service and enters your AMKA number. Quite often I don't even take my IKA book but just give him the number. The government could automatically and instantly mark the AMKA number of every person who gets healthcare through a UK issued S1 form no longer valid at 1 second past midnight on 31 October. I am not suggesting that they will but there is nothing technologically stopping them. The indications are that the Greek government want to do a bilateral deal on residency rights in the event of a no-deal Brexit but there is precious little in their statements about reciprocal healthcare.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”