Question for American citizens.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Roberts2019

Question for American citizens.

Postby Roberts2019 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Hello, We are US Citizens and currently living in Spain on a Non Lucrative Visa/Residencia. we would like to live in Crete. Has anyone experienced this situation? if so, do you apply for Visa/Residency in Greece? Thank you

Yin&Yang

Re: Question for American citizens.

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:00 am

I see that your post has not been responded to thus far. I do not know any American citizens (apart from military) who live here and so cannot advise. Perhaps best to ask your Embassy?
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:20 pm

I would suggest asking the Greek Embassy/Consulate rather than the US Embassy. Since the question is about Visa/Residency requirements to live in Greece a Greek authority is more likely to know the answer. Since you are American citizens you might need to ask a Greek Embassy/Consulate in the USA rather than in Spain, who might have more experience dealing with requests for information from Spanish citizens for whom the requirements will be different. Ultimately, once you know what you are doing you may need to deal with the Embassy/Consulate in Spain since that is where you are located

You could start with this web page and select the office nearest to where you originated from. Then click on the "National Visas" tab and follow the various links. I am sure it will still leave you with questions but it is a start. The rules seem to imply that you can get a Visa to remain for up to 365 days and it cannot be extended: "National visas are not extended. (Article 5, paragraph 7 of Act 4251/2014)." There is a link to that particualr law, in English, at the bottom of this web page.

Warwick

Roberts2019

Postby Roberts2019 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Thank you for taking the time and replying to my post.

Crete11

Postby Crete11 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi there,

I have friends who are an American couple and they decided to go the Golden Visa route. Which is probably the easiest way around it for Americans in Greece. You need to buy a property for 250k or more and then you get your residences.

I do suggest you make sure all your paperwork is in order as you'll need also to have everything translated into Greek - paperwork is the rule here. The translations should cost you around 30 Euros per item.

I would contact a lawyer if you are serious - but first I suggest a visit to Crete - rent a place for a month or two in winter to see if you really like it here. Having lived in the US for a long time, it has been an adjustment for me personally. It is very beautiful here.

Crete11

Roberts2019

Postby Roberts2019 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Crete11 wrote:Hi there,

I have friends who are an American couple and they decided to go the Golden Visa route. Which is probably the easiest way around it for Americans in Greece. You need to buy a property for 250k or more and then you get your residences.

I do suggest you make sure all your paperwork is in order as you'll need also to have everything translated into Greek - paperwork is the rule here. The translations should cost you around 30 Euros per item.

I would contact a lawyer if you are serious - but first I suggest a visit to Crete - rent a place for a month or two in winter to see if you really like it here. Having lived in the US for a long time, it has been an adjustment for me personally. It is very beautiful here.

Crete11

Thank you …..

Return to “General Discussion & News”