Life Certificate

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Sinkingslowly

Life Certificate

Postby Sinkingslowly » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:38 am

I've just had a request to complete a life Certificate from UK pensions service.

Does anyone know if a stamp and signature from KEP is acceptable to the UK to prove that I am alive?

Thanks

Kilkis

Re: Life Certificate

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:25 pm

I can't find a specific list for Greece but this is a list, in pdf format, for Austria which is also part of the EU so it should be the same. I have seen the same list on other advice web sites. I used my bank manager the last two times I did it in 2015 and 2017. I filled all his details in so that all he had to do was sign it and stamp it. If your bank manager won't do it for you I would think that your accountant would. DWP will have no idea what KEP is so I can't see that working but I could be wrong. Also I am not sure KEP are able to witness foreign documents.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Sinkingslowly wrote:I've just had a request to complete a life Certificate from UK pensions service.

Does anyone know if a stamp and signature from KEP is acceptable to the UK to prove that I am alive?

Thanks

KEP office in Kalyves will do it.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Yeah I also got asked to complete one ..I got a friend of mine who is a medical doctor to do it ..I posted it off on Saturday I don't know if it worked ,wait and see...Is it a thing you have to do every year?...I only became a pensioner last year ....

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:22 pm

Ive had one for the last 3 years although ive had a state pension for 4.They seemed to start sending them when they stopped the winter fuel payment if my memory serves me correctly. My local Pharmacist signs mine.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:27 pm

They stopped the winter fuel payments !... When ,Why, How .... :wink: I've been waiting for mine :wink: I was gonna spend it on something totally frivolous ...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:30 pm

peebee wrote:
Sinkingslowly wrote:I've just had a request to complete a life Certificate from UK pensions service.

Thanks

I'm surprised at that peebee. The lovely ladies in KEP in Kalyves told us firmly that they are NOT able to stamp and sign foreign documents - only Greek ones. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:37 pm

That's also my experience, Bob, hence my comment earlier in the thread.

I received one in September 2015, exactly one year after my last winter fuel payment. I didn't receive another until April 2017 and I haven't had one since so I am surprised if people are getting them every year. I suppose saying that will cause me to get one soon. If you have an occupational pension or a private pension they should also send you one from time to time.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:They stopped the winter fuel payments !... When ,Why, How .... :wink: I've been waiting for mine :wink: I was gonna spend it on something totally frivolous ...

It stopped yonks ago - in fact we only got it for one year. Can't recall when it was but seem to recall it was in Cameron's time as PM in the UK. UK was forced into it by the EU, so George Osborne changed the criteria on which it was based. It was intended as recompense for the abnormally high increase in fuel in relation to the rest of the shopping basket, but he decided to base it on the average temperatures of various countries, compared to the SW of England. I believe that in the case of UK expats to France, he even took the temperatures of all of the 5 French Overseas Departments including those in the Indian Ocean and the Caribbean! Deuced clever these politicians!!

Bob.

PS having said all of that, it you were in receipt of WFP before you left the UK, you continued to receive it and maybe that still happens. It was the EU ruling that we should ALL (Pensioners) get it that was stamped on.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

peebee

Postby peebee » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:50 pm

bobscott wrote:
peebee wrote:

Thanks

I'm surprised at that peebee. The lovely ladies in KEP in Kalyves told us firmly that they are NOT able to stamp and sign foreign documents - only Greek ones. Bob.

They did wifey's one last time, she just received another at the weekend so will see what happens when she goes in this week.
We always get very good service from them, maybe it's due to the occasional box of biscuits that we drop off when we go in for something :lol:

Dinksy

Postby Dinksy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Kep offices have been told not to confirm details on requests for pensions etc for non Greeks. They pointed to a poster on the wall confirming this, so they told me, could not argue as it was in Greek. Possible Greek logic........... Try you accountant as they are normally very helpfull.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

SueA

Postby SueA » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm

KEP in Agios Nikolaos signed and stamped my "proof of life" in December. I returned it to the pension provider with a note to explain who KEP are. No problems with that for the last two years. Give them a try, nothing to lose,

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Local KEP is usually very good and helpful so I think I might try there.
If not then I've got to see the accountant soon anyway.
Thanks for the help.

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 pm

The kep office under the law courts in Chania are very good , after trying to get a sworn oath signed for probate , I had been passed from pillar to post , Notary would not sign , went to three lawyers who would not sign , the third took me across the road to the kep office who signed and stamped it within minutes . Sent the sworn oath off to the probate office in Manchester who granted me probate no problems . I'm sure they will sign a proof of life certificate ... oh and it was all free ...

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:13 pm

From the leaflet accompanying the Life Certificate.

Who can sign the Life Certificate?
The person who signs the Life Certificate should not be related to you by birth or marriage, not live at the same address as you and should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community.
Examples of the type of person that would be suitable include
    bank/building society official or accountant
    barrister, solicitor or any other person allowed to manage oaths in the country where the declaration is made
    doctor, dentist, physiotherapist or pharmacist
    government official or local mayor
    the equivalent of a magistrate, Justice of the Peace or member of the local police force
    minister of religion
    care home/nursing home manager
You will need to show originals of photo ID - one of:
    Passport
    National ID card
    Driving Licence
The official at the agency/institution you use will then sign and stamp the Life Certificate.

We did ours on a visit to the bank where the manager did the necessary in less than five minutes each. No charge.

Return to “General Discussion & News”