The Storm and the Gorge

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Clio

The Storm and the Gorge

Postby Clio » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:15 pm

While sunbathing in Liverpool last week (as you do, occasionally, but not usually in February) I was getting alarming messages about the storm damage in Crete. Particularly scary was the video showing the collapse of the road through the Kourtaliotiko Gorge – the main access route to Plakias and its feeder villages, and a tourist attraction in its own right.

Coming home on the bus today, which turned out to be the first day since the storm that this has been possible, I noticed that the gorge road is still closed. Here in the village they are saying that the technically very difficult rebuilding operation is going to take at least three months.

This obviously has worrying implications for the tourist season. I don’t want to be scaremongering on the basis of hearsay, but it would perhaps be helpful if anyone who has concrete information – now or nearer the season – could share it? Come to think of it, I imagine that accurate updated information from all the affected areas about the damage, the repairs and the forecast for the season would be welcome.

https://www.newsflare.com/video/279710/ ... tiko-gorge

George

Re: The Storm and the Gorge

Postby George » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 pm

We have a week booked in Plakias next month so I take it we will have to take the long way down through Mirthios.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:22 pm

George wrote:Post by George » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 pm

We have a week booked in Plakias next month so I take it we will have to take the long way down through Mirthios.

I guess you will be coming from Rethymno if so turn right at Pale, it's signposted to Plakias, only a couple of Kilometres longer journey than via Kourtaliotis gorge.

I don't think the road through Kourtaliotis will be opened any time soon Clio, given all the damage in the area it's probably not a priority, most Plakias visitors will approach from Rethymno where access through Kotsifos gorge is only a slightly longer journey.

The main Rethymno - Agia Galini road which was closed at Armeni re-opened today.

Peter

margarita

Postby margarita » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:19 pm

There was a piece in today's Haniotika Nea about the effect of the weather on tourism

http://www.haniotika-nea.gr/epiptosis-s ... kakokeria/

This is the Google translate vesrion of it

The dangers for tourism from the rumors that "Chania broke up" were moved to the margins of yesterday's presence in Chania by the Minister of Rural Development, Mr Arachovitis. In particular, the thematic vice-governor of Administration and eGovernment, Kyriakos Kotsoglou, who works as a hotel business executive, said there were even cancellations from abroad as there was a negative impact from the recent bad weather.

He noted that "there are people who tell us I will not come this year because you have problems, I will come up with time". The need to inform tourists that there have been serious problems, but these will not affect their stay in Crete and Chania, said regional governor Mr. St. Arnaoutakis, while the Minister noted that the problems will be addressed and can not affect the tourist flow towards Crete.

George

Postby George » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:50 pm

It's not much longer of a route and I've been informed by the car rental company that even if Britain crashes out and plague, pestilence and famine ensue, my British licence is still accepted in Greece - result!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Not so surprising, George. We once hired a moped for our son who was around 15 or 16 using my wife's provisional licence. They had the same initial so that was good enough for the hire company.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”