Legalising a property

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jeffstclair

Re: Legalising a property

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am

This may be a stupid question why do folk get property legalised ? Is it because they are thinking of selling it? If you are just going to live it it till you peg it why bother. Is there any advantage to having it done and will it need doing again in 30 years? I'm unlikely to be around then . seems like a licence to print money for the engineers and accountants.. If you have an extra shed pergola or hen house are you in any danger of being prosecuted..?
I'm sure our house is almost legal , we just did all the property registration stuff and the house and land descriptions , topography , satellite photos, and the engineers satellite images all went matched up with out a hitch...

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:34 am

Jeffstclair wrote:This may be a stupid question why do folk get property legalised ? Is it because they are thinking of selling it? If you are just going to live it it till you peg it why bother. Is there any advantage to having it done and will it need doing again in 30 years? I'm unlikely to be around then . seems like a licence to print money for the engineers and accountants.. If you have an extra shed pergola or hen house are you in any danger of being prosecuted..?
I'm sure our house is almost legal , we just did all the property registration stuff and the house and land descriptions , topography , satellite photos, and the engineers satellite images all went matched up with out a hitch...

Don't know Jeff, but every other Greek around here seems to be legalising their property even down to the family in front of our house getting the small church that holds about 10 people on their land legalised think it is more of a licence to print money for the government and a cash cow to appease their paymasters.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:49 am

Jeffstclair wrote:This may be a stupid question why do folk get property legalised ? Is it because they are thinking of selling it? If you are just going to live it it till you peg it why bother. Is there any advantage to having it done and will it need doing again in 30 years? I'm unlikely to be around then . seems like a licence to print money for the engineers and accountants.. If you have an extra shed pergola or hen house are you in any danger of being prosecuted..?

It gives us the option to sell up and move if we want to, and if we don't our kids will inherit the place in a saleable state. Given the colossal hassle we had I wouldn't wish any of that on a non-resident.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Yes I think you 're right kamisiana it's a money generating process...Maybe the new land register has got people thinking about bits of land and houses that have been in the family for years and no one has ever paid the enfia on it . People are thinking register it , legalise it pay enfia on it ...or lose it .Most of the 15-20 houses in this village are illegal and have been added to over the years with no paper work, passed on to family members with out any lawyers or engineers being involved ... just hand over the keys if there are any ...

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 am

Kamisiana wrote:...........Don't know Jeff, but every other Greek around here seems to be legalising their property even down to the family in front of our house getting the small church that holds about 10 people on their land legalised think it is more of a licence to print money for the government and a cash cow to appease their paymasters.

Surely you mean making Land Registry declarations. Not the same thing. Legalising can cost quite a lot of money. I don't know many people queuing up for that. Maybe you know lots more law abiding citizens than me.

Andrew

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 am

YoMo2 wrote:
Kamisiana wrote:...........Don't know Jeff, but every other Greek around here seems to be legalising their property even down to the family in front of our house getting the small church that holds about 10 people on their land legalised think it is more of a licence to print money for the government and a cash cow to appease their paymasters.

Surely you mean making Land Registry declarations. Not the same thing. Legalising can cost quite a lot of money. I don't know many people queuing up for that. Maybe you know lots more law abiding citizens than me.

Andrew

No I mean legalising property land registry does not start in Xania area until 2020 from my engineers lips.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:43 am

Kamisiana wrote:......No I mean legalising property land registry does not start in Xania area until 2020 from my engineers lips.

Interesting. All the fuss around my area is about Land Registry. No-one is looking to shell out money for legalising before they need to.

Andrew

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:39 am

Yeah same here ..It's the land register that is the important thing around here ,no one cares about legalisation ...

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:38 am

When I paid the very reasonable sum of 1075 euros inclusive of engineers fees and fines to legalise my property that was built for me in 2006,the only parts that needed legalising were the tiled BBQ area and car port that I built myself,
when I paid my fee to the engineer last week I asked if my property was registered with the land registry the answer was no it does not start in the Xania region until 2020 the advice I was given was to get a new topograph of my property and DO NOT RELY ON EXISTING TOPOGRAPH you will end up with to much land/ not enough land/ or land in the wrong place
so don't shoot the messenger I am only passing on what I was advised, I thought legal meant within the law :wink:

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:This may be a stupid question why do folk get property legalised ? Is it because they are thinking of selling it? If you are just going to live it it till you peg it why bother. Is there any advantage to having it done and will it need doing again in 30 years?

I think a house has to be legalised now to inherit. So if you don't legalise it, whoever inherits .. e.g. children etc will have to pay to legalise it to claim the inheritence.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Carolina wrote:
Jeffstclair wrote:This may be a stupid question why do folk get property legalised ? Is it because they are thinking of selling it? If you are just going to live it it till you peg it why bother. Is there any advantage to having it done and will it need doing again in 30 years?

I think a house has to be legalised now to inherit. So if you don't legalise it, whoever inherits .. e.g. children etc will have to pay to legalise it to claim the inheritence.

That is about what we understood you can not just transfer ownership and I think the same applies for 50/50 ownership i.e
husband and wife, if one pops off the house would need to be legal to transfer ownership to the living partner this may be why the locals are legalising as they don't often sell just transfer so if you own property that's not legal the government have you by the short and curly's as they say dead or alive.
Another point on legalising even if the m2 of the property is correct the windows and doors ect must be in the right place and size according to plans we had 2 extra doors put in at time of build and bigger sliding patio doors as the on plan patio door were only 1.2m wide so you would have to breathe in and go through sideways we got 1.8m wide put in but the builder did not put this on the plans we also have a wooden pergola on one balcony that has tentes cloth on top but the engineer was not bothered about that.
also once you have legalised your property and you come to sell or transfer it in a few years you have to get the engineer back out for a small fee to confirm you have not added anything, that's most of what we were told last week hope that helps anyone for now until they change the rules again.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:05 pm

Kamisiana wrote:
Carolina wrote:...I think a house has to be legalised now to inherit. So if you don't legalise it, whoever inherits .. e.g. children etc will have to pay to legalise it to claim the inheritence.

That is about what we understood you can not just transfer ownership and I think the same applies for 50/50 ownership i.e
husband and wife, if one pops off the house would need to be legal to transfer ownership to the living partner...

That was my understanding in 2012 when my late wife died. I went through the legalisation process for that reason. Her 50 % of the property was transferred to me without using the legalisation documents. They were never asked for.

Kamisiana wrote:... and bigger sliding patio doors as the on plan patio door were only 1.2m wide so you would have to breathe in and go through sideways...

Good grief, Kamisiana, how fat are you. I am almost 1.9 meters tall and 130 kg, i.e clinically morbidly obese, and I walk through my patio doors, which are 1.1 m wide, with no problem at all.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:56 am

Kamisiana wrote:When I paid the very reasonable sum of 1075 euros inclusive of engineers fees and fines to legalise my property that was built for me in 2006,the only parts that needed legalising were the tiled BBQ area and car port that I built myself,
when I paid my fee to the engineer last week I asked if my property was registered with the land registry the answer was no it does not start in the Xania region until 2020 the advice I was given was to get a new topograph of my property and DO NOT RELY ON EXISTING TOPOGRAPH you will end up with to much land/ not enough land/ or land in the wrong place
so don't shoot the messenger I am only passing on what I was advised, I thought legal meant within the law :wink:

I think there is a slight misunderstanding here. You do not automatically need a new topo to make your Land Registry declaration.

You may need a new topo. You can file without any topo, as long as you can show where the land is to some degree of accuracy. You may have to later unscramble things when you find your neighbour has claimed the same land, but that could happen anyway however accurate your topo.

For example if you have an old topo that does not contain GPS co-ordinates for your boundary, it would probably be best to get one that does. If you have a recent topo that contains GPS co-ordinates and you believe it accurately shows your boundaries, why would you need a new one?

If you live in a town or village with neighbours abutting there is little need for a topo at all as the engineer will just draw up the submission from the town plan and aerial photos. (Obviously you should have a topo anyway.)

Also, I may be wrong here, but I have been told that you don't need a topo at all to register a piece of agricultural land with no buildings. (I guess that may come later).

Finally, you can file a property at the Land Registry even if it has not been legalised. They are not interested in it's legality.

Hope it helps.

Andrew

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:44 am

Kilkis wrote:
Kamisiana wrote:
Carolina wrote:...I think a house has to be legalised now to inherit. So if you don't legalise it, whoever inherits .. e.g. children etc will have to pay to legalise it to claim the inheritence.

husband and wife, if one pops off the house would need to be legal to transfer ownership to the living partner...

That was my understanding in 2012 when my late wife died. I went through the legalisation process for that reason. Her 50 % of the property was transferred to me without using the legalisation documents. They were never asked for.

Kamisiana wrote:... and bigger sliding patio doors as the on plan patio door were only 1.2m wide so you would have to breathe in and go through sideways...

Good grief, Kamisiana, how fat are you. I am almost 1.9 meters tall and 130 kg, i.e clinically morbidly obese, and I walk through my patio doors, which are 1.1 m wide, with no problem at all.

Warwick

Ah the inconsistent bureaucracy of living in Greece everyone gets a different version of the same story.

Patio doors good job we know your not that stupid Warwick so here is the explanation for those that are, 1.8m wide sliding patio doors maximum opening to walk through 760mm / 1.2m wide sliding patio door maximum opening to walk through 440mm /that is unless you have the type of door that goes into the cavity :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:26 am

Kamisiana wrote:...that is unless you have the type of door that goes into the cavity :roll:

I do.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”