Income Tax Submissions

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Income Tax Submissions

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:52 am

Ekathimerini are reporting that the online system for submitting income tax returns is now open. The deadline for completion is 30 June. Payments due by the end of July, September and November.

Warwick

altohb

Re: Income Tax Submissions

Postby altohb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks for that. Will be seeing our accountant on Monday anyway, so can check when they need paperwork.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Just a quick question re tax submissions ..I just started to get a state pension in November ..do the DWP automatically send a P60 every year or do I have to ask for it ...my private pension company just send one every year about now ...

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:02 pm

The Pension Service doesn't send a P60, Jeff, but you should get a personal annual letter, in early February, titled: "About the General Increases in Benefits" which will set out your state pension rate from the following April. I have used this letter as evidence for my Greek bank and accountant.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:20 pm

No, DWP do not send out any form of statement. I guess they inform HMRC directly and automatically. You get a letter around this time of year telling you what your weekly payment rate will be starting from X April.

When I had tax audits I had to ask for a statement showing the amount paid from 1 January to 31 December. For the last audit I had to get two statements. The one saying the amount paid, IPC 147, is headed "Statement of benefit payments made" and nowhere on it does it mention that the benefit referred to is a UK State Pension. The Greek tax office demanded something to prove that it was indeed a UK State Pension so I had to get another letter, IPC PMTS 133, which said, "I am writing to confirm that your State Pension awarded to you from <date> is now payable at the weekly amount of £X." The two together satisfied the Greek tax office. It is much too difficult for DWP to create a letter saying, "The State Pension paid from...". Government would collapse if they tried to do anything as complicated as that.

The introduction to the Statement of benefit payments made states:

Because of the administrative costs it is not normal policy for us to give annual statements of benefit. So in the future, you should keep a personal record of the benefit that you get if needed for tax purposes.

They don't seem to catch onto the idea that people do keep their own records and submit tax returns on the basis of those records BUT sometimes the tax office demand proof. I only ever ask for one if my accountant tells me that the tax office are demanding one. I do get statements from everybody else for payments made from 1 January to 31 December, i.e not a P60 which is from April 6 to April 5.

Warwick

PS I am tax resident in Greek. It may be different if you are not tax resident here.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Kilkis wrote:No, DWP do not send out any form of statement. I guess they inform HMRC directly and automatically. You get a letter around this time of year telling you what your weekly payment rate will be starting from X April.

We received ours a couple of weeks ago.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:57 pm

filippos wrote:
Kilkis wrote:No, DWP do not send out any form of statement. I guess they inform HMRC directly and automatically. You get a letter around this time of year telling you what your weekly payment rate will be starting from X April.

I presume that you mean that you received the letter informing you of the payment rate from X April, not a statement of payments made last year? Yes, so did I. I would guess they all go out about the same time, possibly with a slight stagger since the payment day varies from person to person.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:36 pm

Update to my first post: ekathimerini are now reporting that the deadline has been extended to 29 July.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Kilkis wrote:
filippos wrote:
Kilkis wrote:No, DWP do not send out any form of statement. You get a letter around this time of year telling you what your weekly payment rate will be starting from X April.
I presume that you mean that you received the letter informing you of the payment rate from X April, ..........
Absolutely.

Return to “General Discussion & News”