SEPA credit transfer

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
woody
Location: Stockport/Pagalahori(Adele) as soon as the kids have left home!!

SEPA credit transfer

Postby woody » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Hello all, hope some can help.

We are in the process of selling our house in Crete, we have had a engineer in to legalise the property as there were issues with certain things that weren't on the plans and paid the fine etc to legalise it. Sorted!!
Below is part of a letter we received from our lawyer regarding unpaid property taxes we owe

''The accountant is making the necessary steps in the tax office, so as to issue a certificate that you have paid all property taxes (EN.FI.A) and a certificate that you have no tax debts. These certificates are necessary for the sale because they are attached to the sales contract.

Regarding the certificate that you have paid all property taxes Your accountant must declare to the Tax Office the exact square meters of your house based on the legalization of the engineer. After the Tax Office will calculate again the property taxes for the last 5 years and it will issue a final bill.

The tax office has issued the property taxes after the procedure was done by your accountant. We are expecting and other bills but now we will pay the bills that have already appeared in the tax system.

I enclose below the taxes.

Deadline for payment is on 30/04/2019. After that deadline there is an interest increase 0,73% every next month. You can find attached the relevant id note(s) directly downloaded from taxis net. On the bottom you can find the 30 digit code number

There is an option of arranging the payment from abroad:

*** You choose SEPA CREDIT TRANSFER, you need only the following details, creditor’s bank BIC, IBAN number and most important the 30 digit remittance code. The 30 digit code is the one shown in the attached taxis id note.

In the taxis id note there is in bold the remittance information and the amount, which are different in every id note

1st payment (for Mr Ian)

Bic: BNGRGRAA

Iban Number: GR3901000230000000481090509

Remittance information: nnnnnnnnn900834190195606900040

Amount: 11,12 € (year 2014)''

My problem is (or I'm just thick) I can, and do send money from my UK bank to my Greek bank and other peoples Greek banks.
All I do is, from UK bank give details of the recipients bank in Greece, BIC number, IBAN number, name and address of Greek bank, name and address of recipients etc, Simples job done.
My question is, I have to give the 30 remittance info, but have no option to do this when I want to transfer the monies for this.

Hope you know what I'm trying to say.

Woody
Last edited by woody on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Re: SEPA credit transfer

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Usually the online transfer form gives you the option to include a reference for the recipient, perhaps described as reference for payee, and a reference for yourself, perhaps described as reference for payer. Put the payment code in the reference for payee box. I think that will work, although I have only ever paid from a Greek bank account and they have a special box for the payment code in the case of things like taxes, electricity, telephone, water etc so I cannot guarantee it.

Warwick

PS If it were me I would edit your post to replace the first 9 digits of the payment code with nnnnnnnnn otherwise you are telling the world your tax number.

woody
Location: Stockport/Pagalahori(Adele) as soon as the kids have left home!!

Postby woody » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks Kikis

Yes, I have that option, just didn't notice it, 'me being thick'

Cheers

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:40 pm

I am aware of the technique because I have several accounts with financial organisations in the UK, not banks, where you deposit money into the company's general account and put your ID as the payee reference. They then know to which customer to deposit the credit. I've never used it to make a payment in Greece from a UK bank but I would expect it would work in a similar way.

There might be a slight snag if there is a charge at the Greek end for taking the payment. When paying from a Greek account it tells you if there is any charge and it deducts the charge from your account so the payee gets the full amount. I am not sure if it will work like that from a UK account. You also need to think about if your UK account is in Sterling or Euro and, if it is in Sterling, where the conversion will take place.

Warwick

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm

woody wrote:My problem is (or I'm just thick) I can, and do send money from my UK bank to my Greek bank and other peoples Greek banks.

I may be wrong, but I think SEPA is for euro only.

If you at the UK end indicate you wish to send euro, your UK bank will perform the currency conversion (at their rate, with their fee) and euros should then be sent via SEPA (because it's free).

If you were for example to send GBP, you could not use SEPA, and SWIFT would be used. You would pay the SWIFT fee (10 quid or so), and then the receipient bank, since the destination account is in euro, will convert GBP to EUR, at their rate, with their fee).

I would strongly advise you to avoid all this, get an account with Revolut. You will then have a euro denominated account in the UK, and it's MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH easier and quickly and fabulously less painful to send money via their app than a bank web-site.

Also, they convert currency at the bank-to-bank rate, wiht no fees of any kind whatsoever.

Return to “General Discussion & News”