rent or buy?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Re: rent or buy?

Postby filippos » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:25 am

Guy M wrote:
filippos wrote: I think a good UK accountant could be very useful to some people.
..........Indeed it was a good accountant who told me, at the time, that I had to spend a night in the property I had been renting..........
I though that the minimum living in period was 6 months buy it's a long time since I checked. We should be OK with the new rules but I'll still check with our UK man. We sold up completely before coming here permanently in '02 and since we sold our house here 10+ years ago we've rented. Our last surviving parent died and their house was rented out to supplement care home costs prior to their death since when it has remained a rental property so we own only an inherited property that neither of us has ever lived in.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:12 am

Kilkis wrote:
Also I know people who live here permanently and have no property in the UK but still have their name on a council tax bill of a relative so they can use the bill as proof of address if they need to provide evidence for a "UK residents only" service, so even that isn't foolproof.

Warwick

Apart from the basic fact that doing what we all know goes on is cheating, IF some electoral roll checks are carried out and the duplicity is revealed, the actual owners of the property (i.e. the relative) could also be in all kinds of trouble for allowing that situation to exist. Is it worth putting your kids or whatever in that position? Or just go ahead and take the chance?
Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:26 am

bobscott wrote:...Apart from the basic fact that doing what we all know goes on is cheating, IF some electoral roll checks are carried out and the duplicity is revealed, the actual owners of the property (i.e. the relative) could also be in all kinds of trouble for allowing that situation to exist...

These are not people on the electoral roll, Bob, they simply have their name on the council tax bill, e.g. John Bloggs, Ann Bloggs & Fred Bloggs, where John and Ann own and live in the property and Fred is their father who lives in Greece. They are not committing any crime. They are not cheating anybody.

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:58 pm

I sold my flat in London when I moved here permanently. My UK Bank accounts, Pension provider, etc, etc all have my Greek address. The only document I still had with my UK address was my UK drivivng licence, which is in the process of being exchanged for a Greek one. I am however, still on the UK Electoral roll, for my last UK address, albeit as an Overseas voter.

Return to “General Discussion & News”