Page 1 of 1

European flag

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:54 pm
by bobscott
Anyone any idea where in the Chania area I can buy a European Flag? A biggish one. Bob.

Re: European flag

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:01 pm
by Kamisiana
bobscott wrote:Anyone any idea where in the Chania area I can buy a European Flag? A biggish one. Bob.


Have you tried the Euro shop they sell a lot of pointless stuff :lol:

Re: European flag

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:46 pm
by bobscott
Kamisiana wrote:
bobscott wrote:Anyone any idea where in the Chania area I can buy a European Flag? A biggish one. Bob.


Have you tried the Euro shop they sell a lot of pointless stuff :lol:


Point taken! All a matter of opinion, of course. Bob. :P

Re: European flag

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:35 pm
by scooby
You could sing the EU anthem if you know German :lol:

Re: European flag

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:08 pm
by Kilkis
Why would you need to speak German? The EU anthem is the prelude to Beethoven's 9th Symphony. While the symphony itself is a choral work, based on Schiller's poem and as such was written in German, the EU anthem has no words. From the official European Union web site:

    There are no words to the anthem; it consists of music only. In the universal language of music, this anthem expresses the European ideals of freedom, peace and solidarity.

Warwick

Re: European flag

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:21 pm
by Jeffstclair
Ahh "The Ode To Joy Division "... love it ..from Beethovens hacienda period ...

Re: European flag

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:43 pm
by scooby
I can imagine you both stood to attention as it’s played :D Follow this link for the anthem, obviously for the EU the music originated in Germany but it does have English lyrics to help the millions who have never connected the piece to the EU.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_-KoBiBG0

Re: European flag

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:59 pm
by scooby
Actually just had a great idea Bob, you could hang it up anywhere in Athens I’m sure the people there won’t mind :shock:

Re: European flag

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:11 pm
by Kilkis
Oh, sorry Scooby, it's on Youtube so it must be true. Clearly the official EU web site knows nowt.

Warwick

Re: European flag

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:02 am
by Kamisiana
Mr Bean sings the European anthem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGZdYNpaSo

Re: European flag

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:11 am
by bobscott
Kilkis wrote:Why would you need to speak German? The EU anthem is the prelude to Beethoven's 9th Symphony. While the symphony itself is a choral work, based on Schiller's poem and as such was written in German, the EU anthem has no words. From the official European Union web site:

    There are no words to the anthem; it consists of music only. In the universal language of music, this anthem expresses the European ideals of freedom, peace and solidarity.

Warwick


And I would like to point out that I have sung the choral bits of Beethoven's 9th possibly more times than most on this forum! Very high tessitura for 3rd Basses. Bob.

Re: European flag

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:34 am
by altohb
I can probably match you on this one, Bob! High for second altos as well. To be nit picky, there isn't a prelude to the ninth symphony; the last movement begins with orchestra only and then continues with chorus and soloists. The other 3 movements are purely orchestral.

Re: European flag

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:18 pm
by scooby
Kamisiana wrote:Mr Bean sings the European anthem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGZdYNpaSo


:lol:

Re: European flag

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:38 pm
by bobscott
altohb wrote:I can probably match you on this one, Bob! High for second altos as well. To be nit picky, there isn't a prelude to the ninth symphony; the last movement begins with orchestra only and then continues with chorus and soloists. The other 3 movements are purely orchestral.


Second alto eh? And there was me all this time thinking altohb was alto-high baritone!! Bob (from the basement).