Highway Roadworks near Aptera

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
toastie

Highway Roadworks near Aptera

Postby toastie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:10 am

Anyone know if the temporary lights are still on the highway and long tail backs.

I am going to the airport on Weds and wondered if I should leave any earlier than I normally do.

Cheers

Yin&Yang

Re: Highway Roadworks near Aptera

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:27 am

Yes, the lights are still there. It's hit and miss as to whether you will encounter lengthy tailbacks but worth giving yourself extra time to complete your journey.
Someday is now : )

toastie

Postby toastie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:30 am

thanks for that.

I normally leave at 10.30 so ill probably leave abount 10. should be enough time if there is a long queue.

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:46 am

Yes, we did exactly the same thing.
It seems that the police have a system to regulate the flow now. As the traffic was building up on the east side of the lights, a patrol car arrived and a policeman emerged, taking over control from the lights and directing cars against the red light. Fortunately, there was a second policeman at the western end to stop any oncoming cars. It worked very well, and we were only delayed by about five minutes. Much better than the 40 minutes experienced by friends from Chania on a previous Saturday.
I can’t see the necessary substantial repairs being done any time soon.

toastie

Postby toastie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:50 am

Sometimes it needs police intervention to keep the flow going.

I think you are right. Its going to take some time to fix the road. Its a sheer drop and needs a lot of foundation to build it back up to road level. It could take months.

Am sure they are giving it their priority considering the tourist season is here and the increase in traffic.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:06 am

Out of curiosity could someone pinpoint exactly where the hold up is? Between the small Souda junction and the Aptera junction, between the Aptera junction and the Kalami junction, between the Kalami junction and the Armenoi junction? I don't normally travel east of Chania but I have friends staying in a couple of weeks time and they might want to venture into the darker hinterland.

Warwick

toastie

Postby toastie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 am

its between the Kalami and Aptera junction.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks Toastie.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 am

Specifically it's imediately you turn right onto the National Road from Aptera. Almost opposite Akrimios.
Someday is now : )

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:59 pm

It will be interesting to see how bad it gets this Sunday afternoon.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:45 pm

toastie wrote:
I think you are right. Its going to take some time to fix the road. Its a sheer drop and needs a lot of foundation to build it back up to road level. It could take months.

Am sure they are giving it their priority considering the tourist season is here and the increase in traffic.

I heard they are waiting for the rainy season to end and for the soil underneath to completely dry out before they can even begin any repairs, due to the sheer drop.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:21 pm

Even so, such a sheer drop will require some advanced engineering work to shore up.. It can’t be just a ‘band-aid’ job. I too had heard that they were going to ‘take’ a bit of land on the inland side (near to where there is a lay-by type parking bit) to widen the road here. Well no doubt we will see in time. I am still in disbelief that no other newspapers, (non Greek) seemed to cover this disaster. (I read about 12 daily) A shame that no one else came to aid our plight, even by reporting it.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:18 am

Jean wrote:It will be interesting to see how bad it gets this Sunday afternoon.

Went through from Chania about mid-day and police were sorting it out. Quite a long tail-back on the Chania side, but most of the time it was moving slowly but surely. Not much traffic going the other way. One bloke in the queue just ahead did a U-turn back towards the west and I (quietly I had thought!) mused that I hoped he knew where he was going. Through the open windows he grinned and said 'Go Kissamos now!' I don't think he really heard me but it was an amusing moment. Had he stayed put, his total delay time would have been less than 10 minutes, probably more like 5.
Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Went through from Chania about mid-day and police were sorting it out.

Yes, I passed it yesterday going East around noon time and the queue was long but moving fast, very well managed by two cops. 6 minutes delay. On the way back (around 20.00) to my surprise I didn't have to stop at all, waved right through.
Well done!

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 pm

I went in and out of Hania this morning. Going in wasn’t too bad (about 10am) One lone policeman and his whistle, overriding the lights and letting a lot of cars through at one time. Last time I went, there were two policemen, one at each end of the lights. Coming back, longs queues,but only about a ten minute wait. The same policeman was at the end nearest to Megala Horafia, whistle again to ease traffic. The big problem is that the lights are still going through their sequence. Cars on the Kalives side were beeping their horns and trying to overtake each other, as they saw a green light ( either did not see the policeman directing traffic or impatient) The queue on that side was way past the Kalives turn off and down the hill where the big lay-by is.
Also on the way in there were two large lorries parked and what looked to be surveyors at the part that has collapsed.

Return to “General Discussion & News”