Page 1 of 1

purchasiing a home that requires renovations

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm
by Ann McCallum

when purchasing a home that requires major renovations what is the 'adeia' exactly. from my understanding you require a civil engineer to do the drawings of the renovations, but what exact is the building permit? can you find out in advance how much the building permit will be before purchasing? is a building permit based on certain criteria? can you be denied a building permit? this is assuming the home is legal but requires work. not building anything extra, just updating. bathrooms, kitchen, floors, roof etc.



Re: purchasiing a home that requires renovations

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:58 pm
by filippos
The engineer you employ will guide you through the process.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that if you do the work yourselves that you will avoid paying IKA (roughly equivalent to NI in the UK). You will be regarded as just another worker and IKA payments will be required as appropriate. The CE's plans/documentation will include a detailed breakdown of what IKA payments apply for different levels of workers' skill levels. i.e. IKA for specialists like plumbers, electricians will be at a higher level than, say, a manual labourer. The CE's breakdown will include an assessment of the number of hours each classification of worker will be needed to complete the building/renovation. You may be inclined to avoid such payments but be aware that any worker who feels that he is being denied work could make a call to the licencing office (and work outside tourism is currently quite hard to get).

Re: purchasiing a home that requires renovations

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm
by GlennB
The 'adeia' is a licence, or planning consent as it were. My understanding of the matter: a small adeia is cheaper and easier to obtain, but only covers renovation of existing structures. This sounds like what you need, but take care - if you extend in any way (including creating certain covered areas) or change the use of a room or rooms you might need a 'big adeia'. Failure to get one can leave you with an illegal house and an expensive bureaucratic headache.