source of supply

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
border collie mad

source of supply

Postby border collie mad » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:32 am

moving into a house near Kalamitsi Amigdali....

can anyone recommend a supplier of steel RSJ'S and Channel, insulated steel roof panels plus a wood yard for building and furniture grade supplies.......
I did find sheet metal suppliers in Chania (Main road in from Platanias, (a big place, just outside the town centre on the right)...
I've visited in the recent past and wanting to spend several thousand Euro's, prob nearer 10,000, and found them not that interested.....
bet the boss would tho.....I know it's hard but I don't give second chances ...
keep moving on.....prefer to give my money to a mum + pop set up anyway.....

As Georgioupoli is close and seemingly large thought that might be a good local place to spend my money....
also,
any Industrial area's close by other than Chania or Rethimno.....it's just a transport issue really plus I need to get to know these suppliers....
I know they'll deliver but there'll be times when I need to get materials straight away myself....
thanks for any help....

Yin&Yang

Re: source of supply

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:07 pm

When we want to build something with wood, we go to the timber yard behind the Inka in Kalyves; turn left at/under the bridge. He has different grades of wood. He does not speak English so Greek lanquage is pretty much a must, plus we show him drawings of whatever the current project is.
Someday is now : )

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:26 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:........ turn left at/under the bridge. ..........
Turn left just before the bridge; under the bridge and left takes you to Koumos taverna, café and evening cocktail bar.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks filippos :)
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:29 pm

border collie mad wrote:...I did find sheet metal suppliers in Chania (Main road in from Platanias, (a big place, just outside the town centre on the right)...

I know of two such suppliers that fit your description. One, Gavralakis, is just before the shoe shop Voi Noi, which is on the corner at the traffic lights where the road goes right to Theriso. The second, Sidal, is about half way between those lights and the next set, where there is a statue of a woman and child. I wonder which one you tried?

border collie mad wrote:...I've visited in the recent past and wanting to spend several thousand Euro's, prob nearer 10,000, and found them not that interested...

I have used Gavralakis and found them very helpful. They showed me several options, when I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted, and were happy to cut sheet metal to size at no extra cost. I wonder in what way you found them "not interested"? Were you hoping for a discount because you are going to spend a lot? Most of their metal is sold simply by weight and I don't think there is much scope for discount. When I ran a testing business and was asked for discount I always told clients, "Of course you can have a discount. Which tests don't you want performing?"

There is another place further out of town just off the Omalos road. Shortly after the low security prison the road widens to the right and there is a road off to the right. There is a big building up there on the left that sells things like insulated roof panels. I'm not sure what else they have but I would guess similar to Gavralakis.

I think your idea of getting thousands of Euro worth of metal products from a "mom & pop store" is probably a hopeless quest. Even quite big companies simply cannot afford to carry stock because of the economic downturn in Greece.

If you do go out on the Omalos road, on your way back into Chania turn right at the corner just before the National Highway. You will see quite a big builders merchant on your right hand side. If you follow the road round twisting left and right a few times you will go back under the National Highway. There is quite a large timber merchant there on the left hand side just before a big garden centre.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”