test for driving boats

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
marmite

test for driving boats

Postby marmite » Mon May 19, 2008 10:28 am

Has anyone done the test required for skippering a boat in Greece. Any info welcome...is it written/practical...is there a first aid component...is there an option to have any written part translated into English (ha ha!..) can you take a translator along with you...etc etc

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon May 19, 2008 11:54 am

Your best sources of information will be the Coastguard and/or the Port police.

A friend took the test a couple of years ago and I'll ask him what was involved. Won't be for a couple of days as he's on holiday.

One clarification, please. In the subject line you say "... driving boats" and in your post "skippering". Am I right to assume you're referring to a boat powered by an engine rather than sail? I believe the tests are different.

marmite

boats

Postby marmite » Mon May 19, 2008 2:50 pm

yes fillipos with an engine not a sailing boat.

Takis

Re: test for driving boats

Postby Takis » Tue May 20, 2008 2:56 am

marmite wrote:Has anyone done the test required for skippering a boat in Greece. Any info welcome...is it written/practical...is there a first aid component...is there an option to have any written part translated into English (ha ha!..) can you take a translator along with you...etc etc

..Hi.., Yes I had it..-Don t know how will work in..English, but believe me..is not easy (in any language..) You have to book a test, and BUY the "Manual" (out of which come the q,s -...20 of them -you need 18 to pass..!) (eu18)
-Then -after the written bit, comes the ..."driving" -eu100 for 10 mins on Boat with 2 /3 others. Then, what they ask, is "drive" to pick a "MOB", and "DOCK" (park the Boat..) -If experienced...no problem..If NOT...PRACTICE!!
-Now, fr Manual you ll REALLY have to LEARN the boating LIGHT-Signals, (Boat on anchor, Fishing, Disabled-Drifting, etc, etc..) -reds, greens, whites in ALL kinds of combinations...

-In the end, i really can t see HOW it will be done in english-as there are terms in "seaman-lingo" i.e. Wind -names etc-You might find in the end that you could ve settled for...35HP ..!or less.(I felt like it..! -mone is 90HP, at the back of a SHETLAND ALASKA 500, I ...drove fr the UK..!

-However (as a "gesture to Filippos AND Warwick, who every time i get ...stuck they help...) -If you book your test at HERACLION (and I am in Crete-in UK currently) -AND if you get permission, I will come as your Interpreter-in which case you are sure to pass, as, if I know the reply, I ll answer correctly...despite what ...You told me to translate..! - But wil they?
-Anyway, where are you, and what kind of Boat you are...driving??
-I live in Milatos, but, provided I am available, I WILL come.. :roll: 8)
A BAD Days Fishing is BETTER than a good days Work

Takis

Re: test for driving boats

Postby Takis » Tue May 20, 2008 3:07 am

Takis wrote:
marmite wrote:Has anyone done the test required for skippering a boat in Greece. Any info welcome...is it written/practical...is there a first aid component...is there an option to have any written part translated into English (ha ha!..) can you take a translator along with you...etc etc

...forgot something...,

-If you know..."someone" who...knows..."someone" in the Marine Police (the ones to test you..), or a politico, or ANY big-wig, then, you might improve your...chances..! (he will know..."someone"..who..etc.")

-B U T ...do NOT attempt to "offer" a...DRINK...! -You ll end - up in jail..!
-The Greeks ARE a PROUD lot, and what counts are the..."right" connections i.e. Family, Friends, and the like...
-Make NO mistake..Greece is NOT ...Turkey (or the Middle East..) Good-Luck ...

marmite

Postby marmite » Tue May 20, 2008 8:09 am

That is very useful and kind offer,thanks,Re engine size, do you know at what hp one does not need the test?
I first heard it was 10hp then I heard it was 30hp? I wonder if any of the learning material is available on the internet?!

Takis

Postby Takis » Tue May 20, 2008 9:21 pm

marmite wrote:That is very useful and kind offer,thanks,Re engine size, do you know at what hp one does not need the test?
I first heard it was 10hp then I heard it was 30hp? I wonder if any of the learning material is available on the internet?!

..the No-Licence size is:30HP (95% -5% is 35HP)
-Internet: ,,the Public Services (incl. Marine Poluce, Coast Guard etc....) have
...heard about the ...net!!!
-As I am a betting man, I ll give that...2/3% !!!!
-Anyway, what kind of Boat you have?? Have you got a Boat YET??
-If NOT YET, maybe you should consider a craft with 30HP...its less complicated...(and...cheaper!!)-Also, where do you live?

marmite

Postby marmite » Wed May 21, 2008 6:14 am

Thanks to all for info.
Takis I have sent you a pm.

jeansy

boat test

Postby jeansy » Sun May 25, 2008 12:24 pm

The port police will not allow you to use an interpreter but they will allow you to take the written test orally, which if you do not speak fluent Greek is of no help.
As Takis has said 18 out of 20 is the pass mark and the questions contain a lot of old type sea terms especially on the wind directions and compass points. The book you require costs 17.61 eu and is 126 pages covering all you need to know.
If you are thinking of returning to the UK take your licence there it will be a lot less hassle, or as Takis says go for a smaller engine and boat.
A grp boat can have a 30 hp engine
An inflatable including ribs is a max of 15 hp
A 4 to 5 metre with a 30 hp will give you most of what you need for coastal use. Hope this helps
paul

Return to “General Discussion & News”