WHERE EXPATS MEET

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
naturelover

WHERE EXPATS MEET

Postby naturelover » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 pm

I'll be arriving solo in a few wks to explore where to live (rent), and though Chania seems the most probable, my question is where do expat events take place? Not knowing anyone, and not speaking any Greek, I'll need to meet Anglophone expats soon.
My basic needs are to live on the Coast yet close to food supermkts, not too far from beaches, and where I meet & socialize with expats.
I welcome your suggestions and advice.

moved 2 crete

Re: WHERE EXPATS MEET

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Welcome naturelover, we have lived in the Kolimbari area of Chania for the last 13 years, there are various Bars, tavernas, hotels etc where we expats meet, the area is coastal and some good beaches close by, some stony, some sandy, you're able to explore once here and take your pick, happy hunting, Dave H.
Dave H

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 pm

The biggest colony of ex-pats in Crete is in the Apokoronas area just to the east of Chania. Also a lot of Americans, who more or less speak English, live on Akrotiri but I think that tends to be a more peripatetic community since they come to work on the US/NAMSA base for a time and then move elsewhere.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 pm

A large number of Cretans speak very good English - recommended, for so many reasons.

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:40 pm

I publish a monthly newsletter which lists various events taking place in the Apokoronas area. One of these events is a monthly coffee morning held in Kalyves.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you would be interested in receiving it.

naturelover

Postby naturelover » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:48 pm

Kilkis wrote: 'Also a lot of Americans, who more or less speak English..'

What, do you think, is the official language of the USA? I am stunned to read such a sentence in 2019.

Warwick[/quote]

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 am

naturelover wrote:Kilkis wrote: 'Also a lot of Americans, who more or less speak English..'
What, do you think, is the official language of the USA? I am stunned to read such a sentence in 2019
Warwick

I think you'll find, naturelover, that is humour; a sense of which you will certainly need if you're coming to live in Crete. :) :wink:

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:53 am

To misquote from the song "Star Trekkin" by The Firm:

"It's English, Jim, but not as we know it"

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:02 am

naturelover wrote:Kilkis wrote: 'Also a lot of Americans, who more or less speak English..'

What, do you think, is the official language of the USA? I am stunned to read such a sentence in 2019.

Warwick
[/quote]

George Bernard Shaw ....from memory wrote something like ...The USA and Great Britain two countries divided by a common language...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:22 am

Or Oscar Wilde's:

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language."

Warwick

naturelover

Postby naturelover » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:22 pm

There are languages and there are accents. Within the not so united kingdom there are many accents. When an uneducated English person makes a grammatical error saying 'me car" instead of 'my car' any American knows, even the uneducated like yourself, that the official language in Britain is English.

Take Spanish for example: It is a language, and as all languages are, it is spoken differently (with grammars, idioms and accents) in all the different countries. Cuba speaks Spanish and Argentina speaks Spanish and Spain speaks Spanish. Yet no Spanish citizen, not even the non-educated or illiterate, would ever say that a Cuban does not speak Spanish.

This speaks volumes about you. About your knowledge of something as humanly basic as linguistics.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Could I ask a personal question, naturelover? Obviously you don't need to answer it. Were you by any chance born during the period roughly 1980 to 2000 give or take a couple of years?

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:50 pm

naturelover wrote: even the uneducated like yourself,

This speaks volumes about you. About your knowledge of something as humanly basic as linguistics.

Sorry, naturelover, just for clarification are the above comments aimed at myself or kilkis? From your original post I understood that you were hoping to make friends? Good start.

Tim

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi Tim. Why single out Crete? It has been my experience that a sense of humour is a useful attribute wherever you live in Greece!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Warwick
[/quote]

Irony. A solid English word (but with some ancient Greek input!) not understood by many, Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”