WHERE EXPATS MEET

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Yorgo

Re: WHERE EXPATS MEET

Postby Yorgo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 am

Hello Naturelover - -

One well-known fact/observation of American people - they do not have a great sense of humour. They don't seem to grasp irony as the English do. Are you American?

Blakey_Bloke

Postby Blakey_Bloke » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:29 pm

naturelover wrote:What, do you think, is the official language of the USA? I am stunned to read such a sentence in 2019.

Dear Naturelover,
It may interest you to know that the USA actually has no official language, it just happens that the most commonly spoken language there is English.
BTW, English narrowly beat German in a poll (by just one vote!) to become an adopted language of the USA in the late 1700's! Imagine the impact on modern world history if the result had been the other way around.

As for making friends and influencing people, you appear to have quickly gone off-piste there! #awkward

I'm confident that you will receive a much warmer welcome within the Cretan communities if you made some effort to integrate, befriend and learn the customs and language of Cretan's. There is no real need to stay permanently entrenched in Ex-Pat (AKA immigrant!) communities in my humble opinion!

Enjoy your time in West Crete, don't bother heading East whatever you do, it's just wasteland over here!! :wink:

Blakey_Bloke

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:19 pm

Blakey_Bloke wrote:Enjoy your time in West Crete, don't bother heading East whatever you do, it's just wasteland over here!! :wink:

Blakey_Bloke

Our first visit to Crete in 1982 was to the East (Elounda), we visited many times during the subsequent years, with the occasional foray over to the west.
When we came prospecting for a permanent home here, we chose the west side. Whenever we visit the east these days, we do notice that it all seems to turn a bit brown and barren once you get past Iraklio.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:50 pm

peebee wrote:
Blakey_Bloke wrote:Enjoy your time in West Crete, don't bother heading East whatever you do, it's just wasteland over here!! :wink:

Blakey_Bloke

Whenever we visit the east these days, we do notice that it all seems to turn a bit brown and barren once you get past Iraklio.

That's camouflage that is, peebee. Keeps the 'westies' away.

Tim

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Tim wrote:
peebee wrote:

Blakey_Bloke

Whenever we visit the east these days, we do notice that it all seems to turn a bit brown and barren once you get past Iraklio.

Tim

I used to be an `Eastie' but now I'm a western highland terror, haha hahaha . . . . . . I'll get my coat.

Blakey_Bloke

Postby Blakey_Bloke » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Tim wrote:
peebee wrote:

Blakey_Bloke

Tim

Good spot Tim! 8)
peebee, apologies. I wasn't being literal, just trying to preserve positivity/deter negativity. :D

Blakey_Bloke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:57 pm

All the years I visited Crete on holiday I mostly visited the east with the odd foray to the west. When I came looking for property I thought I would probably live in the east, e.g. somewhere like Neapoli. In the end, having looked from Siteia to Chania, I settled in the west. I like the east but it is nice to live surrounded by citrous groves that are green all year round, including 10 trees in my own garden. It is nice to reach off the balcony and pick a lemon to slice up and put in a gin and tonic. I realise that is not very Cretan but nevertheless very pleasant. I am sure that all those who live in the east love their lives on Crete, as I am sure I would have done had I settled there, but I have no wish to swap with them.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:56 am

I'm due to spend a week in Kalyves at the end of September - assuming the authorities allow me in - and am looking forward to it. :shock:

Tim

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:51 am

Our experience of the East is limited to Sitia, Ierapetra, Ag Niolaos and loosely within those boundaries. Lovely spots, but we prefer the West. The only problem here is that it is a favourite for tourism, so during the 'season' there are are quite a few no-go areas. Still, as long as we have transport just a few km inland from the beach areas and all is peace and tranquility (with the possible exception of Lake Kournas!). The wet winter climate in this part of Crete does make the mountains look superb in the winter snow and the citrus groves attractive all-year-round. See you at your place sometime for a gin and freshly picked lemon Warwick! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:01 am

You would be welcome any time, Bob, assuming you can get through the border post near Aptera.

Warwick

Blakey_Bloke

Postby Blakey_Bloke » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Kilkis wrote: I like the east but it is nice to live surrounded by citrous groves that are green all year round...

At the risk of changing this thread entirely (into a East V West chat); they have them in the East too Warwick, alongside hundreds and thousands of evergreen olive trees. :D
I can of course understand the attraction of the West, we spent two weeks touring there last year and were most impressed.

In my opinion these discussions just emphasise the beauty and attraction of Crete as a whole, and support our choices made to live here, regardless of whereabouts on the island.

Blakey_Bloke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Blakey_Bloke wrote:..In my opinion these discussions just emphasise the beauty and attraction of Crete as a whole, and support our choices made to live here, regardless of whereabouts on the island...

I agree. I neither seek to promote nor denigrate the west or the east. I couldn't find what I wanted in the east and I did find it in the west so I ended up here. If I had found what I wanted in the east I would have happily lived there. My late wife and I decided that Crete was a place that we would like to live on the first day of our first visit here. I think brochures should carry a warning that this island is highly addictive. At the time I don't think we really thought we would do it but we did.

Warwick

PS That first visit was to Malia at Pascha in the early 80s, a very different place from the Malia of July and August. Our choice of Crete was influenced by the BBC series the Lotus Eaters and Who Pays the Ferryman. It also got me back riding a motorbike, something I hadn't done for almost 20 years.

Blakey_Bloke

Postby Blakey_Bloke » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:15 pm

It sounds a marvellous experience Warwick, happy memories eh!

Best Regards

Blakey_Bloke

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:06 pm

Hello Warwick

The Lotus Eaters brings back such memories! I thought it was a rather dark series, perhaps to deter fellow lotus eaters? The second series did not in my opinion live up to the first, don’t know what you think? Fascinated to learn Wanda Ventham is the mother of Benedict Cumberbatch.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:50 pm

A life of blissful indulgence ...sounds good ...

Return to “General Discussion & News”