Renewing UK passport

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
nuska

Renewing UK passport

Postby nuska » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:42 am

Has anyone heard of problems renewing their passports lately? Mine expires in Dec and I would like some guidance on this please, particularly in view of the Brexit situation.

Yin&Yang

Re: Renewing UK passport

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:45 am

I renewed mine last yeat without a problem and I helped a 90+ Year old lady renew hers earlier this year. Both were renewed online and both were sent out to us in Crete.
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am

We did ours this year , no problems did them before the first Brexit cliff edge and got new passports with European Union on them ...so I was foolishly pleased about that ...

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:56 am

Sent my application off in January, new one was in my hand within 12 days. I think that if you apply out of season, it will be returned more quickly. Got it back with EU on it, not that it will make the slightest bit of difference :-)
Last edited by peebee on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:57 am

Ditto; both applications made before the March Brexit date.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:14 pm

For information there is a slight change to the application process since I last renewed mine in 2017. You now need to upload a digital version of your photograph rather than send a physical photograph. You can take it yourself with a digital camera providing you make sure you follow all the rules. If you do go to a photo shop it might be worth taking a memory stick with you and asking them to give you a digital copy. You can use a scanner to create a digital photo from the passport sized physical one but you will need a reasonable resolution scanner, e.g. 600 dpi, to meet the minimum file size. I have just done this for a friend, who didn't realise he needed a digital version, and scanning at 300 dpi gave too small an image. I'm not sure when this new system was introduced.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:16 pm

Kilkis wrote:You now need to upload a digital version of your photograph rather than send a physical photograph.

Warwick

We didn't 6 months ago, just the photos.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:09 pm

I helped my friend and had to take a digital photograph and that was about February time.

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:I helped my friend and had to take a digital photograph and that was about February time.

Confusing, we applied on-line and sent the printed form plus photos (and old passport) in the post, renewal came back 12 days later.

Dinksy

Postby Dinksy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:45 pm

I renewed mine earlier this month and asked for the digital photo to be put on a CD so I could upload it on to the passport application. No problems and the new passport was delivered to me by DHL in under a month.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Kilkis wrote:For information there is a slight change to the application process since I last renewed mine in 2017. You now need to upload a digital version of your photograph rather than send a physical photograph. You can take it yourself with a digital camera providing you make sure you follow all the rules. If you do go to a photo shop it might be worth taking a memory stick with you and asking them to give you a digital copy. You can use a scanner to create a digital photo from the passport sized physical one but you will need a reasonable resolution scanner, e.g. 600 dpi, to meet the minimum file size. I have just done this for a friend, who didn't realise he needed a digital version, and scanning at 300 dpi gave too small an image. I'm not sure when this new system was introduced.

Warwick
Not sure where you got your information from Warwick? You can apply online or post.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:57 pm

My comment applies to applications from abroad. You cannot do this with a paper application, you can only use a paper application if you are in the UK. The information comes from the official government web site linked in my post. See also this page. If you answer the million questions you get to this page. Note that it does not give you a paper application option. I have just helped somebody to go through the process.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 am

Kilkis wrote:My comment applies to applications from abroad. You cannot do this with a paper application, you can only use a paper application if you are in the UK. The information comes from the official government web site linked in my post. See also this page. If you answer the million questions you get to this page. Note that it does not give you a paper application option. I have just helped somebody to go through the process.

Warwick

We applied from here on Crete at the beginning of January..
Went to the website, filled in all the details, printed out the form, payed fee by credit card.
Posted them :- filled in form, copy of residence permit, old passport and 2 photos, new one came back via DHL 12 days later.

Edit - going through the process again, there is a new page that didn't exist in January which says `1. Get a digital passport photograph'. It also says `BETA this a new service' at the top, so it seems things have just recently changed.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 am

According to this Express article dated 3 February 2018 the new rules allowing digital photos were introduced in early 2018. It is possible that the process for applying from abroad has been changed to only allow digital photos more recently.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Kilkis wrote:According to this Express article dated 3 February 2018 the new rules allowing digital photos were introduced in early 2018. It is possible that the process for applying from abroad has been changed to only allow digital photos more recently.

Warwick

Didn't have the option for digital photos back in Jan this year, otherwise we would have done it and saved €16

Return to “General Discussion & News”