Green card car insurance.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
GlennB

Green card car insurance.

Postby GlennB » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:20 pm

We're making outline plans to leave Greece should hard Brexit come to pass. This would involve MrsB heading off to Blighty ahead of me while I drive back a little later, which means motor insurance for driving in other countries.

The internet seems to be telling me different things - that 3rd party insurance issued in an EU country provides cover for driving in any EU country, but elsewhere it tells me that I should approach my insurance company for a physical 'green card'

Quite what my situation would be driving off the ferry in Portsmouth is something I'll have to check out.

Can anyone clarify the matter? My insurance company seems utterly incapable of replying to an email.

Jeffstclair

Re: Green card car insurance.

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Yes I would phone them , I find some companies just don't respond to emails ..I was trying to find parts for our generator and emails just got ignored ...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 pm

GlennB wrote:We're making outline plans to leave Greece should hard Brexit come to pass. This would involve MrsB heading off to Blighty ahead of me while I drive back a little later, which means motor insurance for driving in other countries.

The internet seems to be telling me different things - that 3rd party insurance issued in an EU country provides cover for driving in any EU country, but elsewhere it tells me that I should approach my insurance company for a physical 'green card'

Quite what my situation would be driving off the ferry in Portsmouth is something I'll have to check out.

Can anyone clarify the matter? My insurance company seems utterly incapable of replying to an email.

Sorry to hear you are leaving. I can think of nothing worse than going back to the UK to live at the moment, but of course these things are dictated by personal circumstances and lots of other considerations. Anyway, good luck and hope you get the insurance sorted out. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:08 pm

When i took my car to "Europe" last year my insurance company printed me out a green card paper, on the spot and for free. So I did have something physical. I can't tell you if it was a legal requirement to have one.
Then on the other hand of you go to UK post-Brexit entirely different things might apply...i was only in Schengen EU

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Get Brexit done.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:16 am

scooby wrote:https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

On the other hand :

"For this reason, encouraged by European initiatives, 34 of the 48 Countries participating in the Green Card system* have replaced the Green Card by a Multilateral Agreement recognising each other’s MTPL insurance on the basis of the “territory in which a vehicle is normally based”. Consequently, for motorists from those 34 countries, the Green Card is no longer a required document when crossing the borders."

Greece and the UK are among them.

Ah well, just another unresolved Brexit complication, I suppose. Sigh.

john4d

Postby john4d » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Remember that the 'Green Card' only provides proof that you have third party insurance. Most Greek insurance companies do not provide comprehensive cover outside of Greece, they think driving outside of Greece is too risky! One even told me it was illegal to do so. It is worth checking with your insurance company to find out what cover they offer, though perhaps you only have third party only anyway.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Return to “General Discussion & News”