The Far East

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ros21m

Re: The Far East

Postby ros21m » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:29 am

Guy M, I stayed in Zakros itself, at Hotel Zakros, as I was visiting a friend who lives there. It's
a bit of a dive to be honest, but it only cost 52.5 euros for a 3 night stay, including breakfast and all I wanted was a base as I was out with my friend most of the time.

Saddler

Postby Saddler » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Sorry ros21m but that's not a particularly helpful comment for the proprietors of the Hotel Zakros. I note that you stuck it out for 3 nights and the price you paid. Why didn't you pay more and find somewhere more to your taste for the other 2 nights? I have no connection whatever with the Hotel Zakros except to say that I have stayed there several times and been perfectly satisfied. I admit it's not the most up to date hotel, but not everyone craves fluffy pillows and frilly lampshades. I personally prefer the 'old school' type of accommodation that sadly is very few and far between in Crete now. On my last trip that far east I was gutted that the rooms above the taverna in Ziros was no longer offering accommodation.

In travelling around Crete for the last 30 years I used to swear by the basic accomodation as advertised in the former Let's Go or the Rough Guide. Now the latter is even full of 'boutique hotels' at staggering prices. Give me and others like me the likes of Hotel Zakros any day. The clue is in the price so please think about posting comments like that and the effect it has on possible future bookings.

Saddler

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:48 pm

I'm in the €10 per night good - €50 per night bad school of travellers. If it has a clean bed, toilet, washbasin and shower I don't really care about anything else.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Kilkis wrote:I'm in the €10 per night good - €50 per night bad school of travellers. If it has a clean bed, toilet, washbasin and shower I don't really care about anything else.

Warwick

Need a fridge :-)

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:57 pm

I knew what standard Hotel Zakros was, the owners were lovely, the room was almost clean, smears on windows & mirrors, clean sheets, towels etc, the fridge was far from pleasant, with a really bad smell, the aircon worked after a fashion, but I was unable to alter the temperature. The ensuite bathroom had an aroma I couldn't quite place. The breakfast was basic, but more than adequate. The hotel really could do with redecoration. It was a last minute decision to go to Zakros, so this was the only place that had a vacancy. I wanted to stay in Zakros itself, not in Kato Zakros, or the surrounding area. Would I stay in this hotel again? Yes, I would for a few nights stay, if I want to actually be in Zakros. I have stayed in worse places, over the years. For the money I paid, I didn't really even think about complaining to the owners.
Last edited by ros21m on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:08 pm

peebee wrote:...Need a fridge :-)

Oh my god, peebee, I really do have dementia. I had completely forgotten the most important item. It's all downhill from here.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 am

We seem to have disappeared down a rabbit hole of hotel strengths and weaknesses. For what it's worth, Zakros has a bit of a Wild West (or, more accurately, wild east) feel to me; I could imagine getting into some interesting late night conversations over a few drinks there. The place that really interested me was Palaiokastro - some good places to eat, a beautiful church and close to some good beaches. Has anyone stayed there/ does anyone live near there?

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 am

Maud wrote:

We love Kato Zakros......even with the few coach loads of tourists that visit there these days! Over recent years we have only been there in May and October, but many years ago we used to visit it for a few days in August as well. From what you say, it still isn’t over run with tourism in August? Did you venture down to Xerokambos? It is worth a visit for the view as you drive down to the village!

Kato Zakros wasn’t that full, but during the day we went to Xerokampos for the clay bathing (twice) and my wife and daughter walked up the gorge to Zakros one day. We’re now in Kritsa up in the hills above Agios Nikolaos having broken the journey back west for a night. This is yet another lovely village.

rohima

Postby rohima » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:44 am

GuyM, Xerokambos is lovely, as is its clay cliff. However, it has been badly eroded by humans digging the atomaceous clay out to use to "clay-bathe" as you put it. The last time I went there, there were signs up asking the public NOT to remove the clay, to conserve the area. It's bad enough that they sometimes have "beach parties" there which could endanger the turtle nests there and I'm told bring next to no income to the local tavernas as party-goers bring their own supplies, leaving behind their litter and sometimes faeces too (don't ask me how I know!!!). 2 coves have been colonised with umbrellas and sun beds (again, a hazard for turtles). It's not what it was just a very few years ago, now. Another example of a surfaced road changing a place's character, and not for the best. Yes, I know all things change constantly but I mourn the loss of the rare, undeveloped paradise it once was.

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:16 am

Don’t forget to visit the church at Krista Guy. It is worth a few minutes of your time.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:59 am

rohima wrote:GuyM, Xerokambos is lovely, as is its clay cliff. However, it has been badly eroded by humans digging the atomaceous clay out to use to "clay-bathe" as you put it. The last time I went there, there were signs up asking the public NOT to remove the clay, to conserve the area. It's bad enough that they sometimes have "beach parties" there which could endanger the turtle nests there and I'm told bring next to no income to the local tavernas as party-goers bring their own supplies, leaving behind their litter and sometimes faeces too (don't ask me how I know!!!). 2 coves have been colonised with umbrellas and sun beds (again, a hazard for turtles). It's not what it was just a very few years ago, now. Another example of a surfaced road changing a place's character, and not for the best. Yes, I know all things change constantly but I mourn the loss of the rare, undeveloped paradise it once was.

You are, of course, right. I’m not a complete environmental barbarian (I hope) - we got clay already mixed in with seawater in the pools in the rocks and never went near the cliffs. Last year there were two Greek men collecting clay in bags until they were told off by a local woman. This year, we saw a police patrol which might be a response to the beach party excesses you describe.

But there is a wider point about our carbon footprints and the damage we do as tourists - without tourists, there’d v likely never be a paved road to Xerokampos for example. And flying to Crete causes exponentially more environmental damage than almost anything else we do.it would le be better if we didn’t come here at all, or, once here, if we didn’t fly back again.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Guy M wrote:...And flying to Crete causes exponentially more environmental damage than almost anything else we do...

...except having children. That increases our carbon footprint the most. Typically:

1 Changing to a wholly plant based diet would save 0.8 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per year.
    2 Not doing two round trips from Chania to Gatwick would save 2 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per year.
    3 Not driving a car would save 2.4 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per year.
    4 Having one less child would save 58.6 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per year.

Startling isn't it? See for example this report.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Which I guess proves there are two ways of ending the human race: having children and not having children.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Perhaps having less children rather than not having children might do the trick?

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Did you get to Panagia Kera in Krista to see the frescoes Guy?

Return to “General Discussion & News”