How long should it take to purchase a house?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
YoMo2

Re: How long should it take to purchase a house?

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:12 am

CatWitch wrote:.......The deposit was paid directly to the owners in the UK........

If the deposit is "safe", maybe the vendor should dump the present lawyer as I suggested earlier. If the lawyer is the problem, dump him and start again. A decent lawyer will have it done in a few weeks, assuming no major problems. And if there are problems, a decent lawyer will tell you what they are so you know where you stand.

Just my thoughts. As many people on this forum will confirm, there is no mileage in persisting with a problem lawyer if you can get out from under.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 am

Sorry, Mouche. No your question was clear. I supplied extra information because it is relevant to the topic and I thought the information might be useful to others who read the thread.

I don't have specific information just on the cost of splitting the plot. Every case I know of the plots have been split as part of selling the property. The same lawyers, engineers and Notaries have been involved in legalising the properties first, then splitting the plots and then completing the sale so I tend to know the total cost not the breakdown. In my own case that I referred to the cost was purely for legalising the property because I thought I might need those documents to transfer ownership wholly to me when my wife died. In the end I didn't need them.

Some of the comments I made are still relevant. In order to split the plot the other half of the property would also need to be legalised if it has not already been done. Also both parties need a new contract and both parties have to get certificates proving that they are free from debt to the Greek state etc. It does rely on the other party cooperating and they are under no obligation to do so. Most people have good relations with their neighbours so it is not a problem but if they are being expected to pay fess that they see no need to pay they may not be fully cooperative.

A comment on the debt situation. I do not wish to cast aspersions at Greek citizens but it is a pragmatic fact that debts are more likely to be an issue if the owner of one half of the plot is Greek. The bailout conditions imposed on Greece by the Troika caused a depression worse than that in the 1930s. If your income is cut by over 50 % or vanishes altogether it is difficult to avoid being in debt. Apart from currency exchange rate issues for non-Eurozone citizens the bailout has had no real impact on ex-pats in Greece so there is no obvious need for them to be in debt.

I would imagine the lawyer/Notary who carried out your purchase would be able to give you an accurate figure for the two new contracts. I am pretty sure it will be a standard fee although it may be based on the value of the property. I seem to recall that you do your tax submission through your lawyer so you obviously still have good contact with him/her. Knowing my memory that recollection may not be accurate. If I find any information I will post it.

Warwick

PS I totally agree with Andrew's last comment.

mouche

Postby mouche » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks Warwick. We are on good terms with our neighbours, not Greeks, and both properties are legalized and no outstanding ENFIA or other taxes so in this respect we are good to go.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:33 pm

In that case I would ask the lawyer who helped you make the purchase or the Notary who drew up the contract what it would cost to draw up two new contracts to split the plot and discus doing it with your neighbour. I doubt if they would charge you anything for quoting a price. Unless one of you is interested in selling, however, I can't see any big advantage in doing it. Most people wait until they do want to sell and have a buyer. I would probably have not bothered legalising my plot if I hadn't thought that I needed to because of my wife's death. The engineers who did it for me told me some time later, when we had to get a new document signed at KEP, that initially they had advised clients to do it but had changed that advice to only do it if they needed to because of so many changes in the law. That was 7 years ago so I have no idea what advice they are giving today.

I suspect most ex-pats, of all nationalities, who are living on split plots have other ex-pats on the adjoining plot, possibly the same nationality or possibly different. Most of the cases I know of fit that category but there are some who are living on split plots where the adjoining plot is Greek owned. Foreign nationals tend to worry more about the legality of their property than Greek owners, who are used to the idea that properties are illegal far more often than they are legal in Greece. They tend to view "laws" more as "guidelines" than something that must be obeyed.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:25 am

Again thanks. We did legalize our build as most of the expenses this respect were born by the builder/seller as many "things" were not in accordance with buildingpermit and the contract we entered into. In other words we were much better off doing it than doing it "later".

From what I hear the price for legalizing "irregularities" has come down drastically since seven years so those who have waited have saved money.

Yes indeed our neighbours are scandinavians and we are, have become, good friends as well as neighbours!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 am

Makes total sense, in your situation I would have done the same thing.

It is a great pity that the law forcing Notaries to obtain certificates that a house is built legally and in accordance with the plans submitted was not introduced decades ago. I think it should also have been a legal obligation for Notaries to explain to buyers, or at least foreign buyers, the legal implications of split plots. Not one person I know, who bought a house on a split plot, was given any information by their lawyer or the Notary. They only found out after they had bought what the true legal situation was. At least as far as house purchase is concerned, lawyers do not seem to have any duty of care for their clients.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”