Driving

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jeffstclair

Re: Driving

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Yeah I cycle here and it's wonderful.. I can cycle all day on the tracks around here and not see another car , bike , or person ....

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:36 am

Maud wrote:I think it was seven years last May that the roundabout appeared in Sitia Mixos, so you are not far out with your guess. I only know as we drove there in a friend’s car from the south coast to have a few days holiday in the East. I had not driven the car previously and has taken over the driving after a lunch stop in Elounda.

My excuse is that I that I am sure the car had a ‘sensitive clutch’ but as I drove in to Sitia I was confronted with an unexpected roundabout! All the other drivers looked as confused as me, so taking the initiative I drove on to it and stalled! By now I was getting a lot of ‘helpful ‘ advice from the passenger seat! The nice thing was that nobody sounded a car horn or looked cross. In fact everyone was laughing....with me rather than at me I felt!

I hope this story encourages you to get to grips with the driving soon Elena. Louise is correct. - Take your time. As for having your husband or someone else with you, I will leave that to you!!!

The fun thing about that roundabout is that, initially, it followed the rule of people on the roundabout gave way to people joining. Then they switched to the "normal" version. There were a few weeks when life got interesting, to say the least!

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:48 am

As a retired driving instructor and Advanced driver for R.O.S.P.A and the I.A.M, also teaching for the Police as a driver awareness scheme instructor and having lived and driven here in the Chania area for the last 13 years the best advice I can give is, use your mirrors frequently and always be aware of the motorbike and scooter riders who are a law unto themselves weaving in and out through traffic and cutting in at traffic lights.
Dave H

Return to “General Discussion & News”