Drivers License for US Citizens.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Roberts2019

Drivers License for US Citizens.

Postby Roberts2019 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Hello,

Can someone share the Driver License Process in Crete for US Citizens ..

Thank you
Nina

Kilkis

Re: Drivers License for US Citizens.

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:33 am

I think, but don't know for sure, that you can drive for a period of time, possibly up to 12 months, on your US licence. During that time you would have to pass your test in Greece. Typically that means taking a minimum number (not sure how many) of lessons with a qualified and registered driving instructor, taking the written test and taking the practical test. I'm not sure how foreign citizens are treated but Greek learners usually pay a bribe to the tester or they don't pass. The driving instructor should be able to give full details. I think the instructor puts his pupils in for the test and deals with paying the test fee and the bribe.

Warwick

Crete11

Postby Crete11 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi there:-)

You can drive up to 6 months on your US licence - then you need to go to the Dept of Driver's Licenses in Chania and they will inform you of your next steps - they need to first check the validity of your residence permit and then your valid US licence. They will instruct you to send a request to the DMV in your state for your Driver's record to be sent to your closest Greek Embassy in the states. Then you will need to inform the Greek Embassy of where to send the confirmed Driver's record to here in Chania, once they receive it.

It's a lengthy process but basically straight forward. Once the Dept. of Driver's License in Chania receives your Driver's record, you then will need to get a Doctor's stamp of approval along with an approval from the optometrist. I think that's everything.... but the Dept in Chania will be able to guide you.

Good luck with it!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Kilkis wrote:. I'm not sure how foreign citizens are treated but Greek learners usually pay a bribe to the tester or they don't pass. The driving instructor should be able to give full details. I think the instructor puts his pupils in for the test and deals with paying the test fee and the bribe.

Warwick

Just a comment on the the bribe ' thing' , it really doesn't happen in Crete (well I can vouch for the Chania area) for driving tests, it seems to be an ' Athens ' thing.

When my daughter was at university in Athens she looked into driving lessons and taking her test there. She was told at the outset, by a couple of driving schools in Athens, in a round-about way, that the 'bribe' is normal and if not paid the instructors wouldn't pass her. She came back to Crete at the end of her studies and took the lessons and test here in Chania in the end. No 'bribe' mentioned at all. Same for my son who took his test here, and all their friends; it really doesn' t happen here. My niece and nephew who live in Athens, and their Athenian friends were all told to pay the 'bribe' or they wouldn't be passed.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:46 pm

My comment was based on the experience of Greek people I knew in Thessaloniki. It is common there as well as Athens. I have no experience, direct or indirect, of the test in Crete. I had assumed it was a Greece wide problem but clearly there are regional variations.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Kilkis wrote:My comment was based on the experience of Greek people I knew in Thessaloniki. It is common there as well as Athens. I have no experience, direct or indirect, of the test in Crete. I had assumed it was a Greece wide problem but clearly there are regional variations.

Warwick

Lucky you have not got a fixed wheel you would have gone over the handlebars :wink:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:16 am

All my posts are based on my own experience, whether direct, i.e. it happened to me, or indirect, i.e. it happened to somebody I know, or in some cases from research.

My indirect experience, i.e. through work colleagues in northern Greece, is that paying a bribe in order to pass a driving test is common in the Thessaloniki area. One specific case they mentioned was where six people took the driving test at the same centre on the same day. Five passed the test and one failed. The one that failed was the most proficient of the six but because he was proficient he hadn't paid the bribe. Another specific case was of a group of drivers taking a test to upgrade their professional licence to include articulated vehicles. The test consisted of backing an articulated truck around some obstacles. Not one of them achieved it. All of them got their articulated licences.

Carol's indirect experience, i.e. through her daughter, is that paying a bribe in order to pass the driving test is common in Athens but not common in the Chania area. How many areas it is common and how many it is not I have no idea. My colleagues in northern Greece implied it was widespread. How that puts me over the handlebars I have no idea?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”