What are "skneepa"?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
rohima

What are "skneepa"?

Postby rohima » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 pm

There'a a kind of tiny fly here that is silent, diaphanous and bites with a sharp sting, at nights. Not a mosquito. The locals call them "skneepa". Does anyone know their Latin or English name? I can't even find an image to share, as they seldom perch for long. Much smaller than mosquitoes.

GlennB

Re: What are "skneepa"?

Postby GlennB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:31 pm

Biting midges is what we call them, and they're so small they can get through standard bug mesh. The bites don't irritate for very long.

The real buggers are the local equivalent of sand flies, that lurk in dry undergrowth and chew your ankles. They'll even fly up your trousers to have a bite. Their bites can leave weals that last for weeks. I long ago gave up on shorts and tuck my trousers into my socks if I venture into the back garden when it's dry out there.

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:02 am

Σκνίπα. Gnats or midges, says the dictionary - though I think in English those are two slightly different things, and the gnat is not such a nuisance. The σκνίπα though is definitely a first cousin to the legendary Scottish Highland midge.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:19 am

GlennB wrote:...The real buggers are the local equivalent of sand flies, that lurk in dry undergrowth and chew your ankles...

They also carry Leishmaniasis which infects both dogs and humans bitten by a sand fly carrying the disease.

Warwick

rohima

Postby rohima » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks for the responses. GlennB, do the locals call those sand flies SKNEEPA too?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:19 pm

Literally they are called άμμος μύγες (ammos meeges). I am not sure if there is an alternative colloquial name for them. They are much bigger than Σκνίπες.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Kilkis wrote:Literally they are called άμμος μύγες (ammos meeges). I am not sure if there is an alternative colloquial name for them. They are much bigger than Σκνίπες.

Warwick

Not sure I've ever seen one, just suffered from their attentions.

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!

Return to “General Discussion & News”