International Driving Permit

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
paulineb

International Driving Permit

Postby paulineb » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:05 am

I have recently exchanged my UK driving Licence for the Greek equivalent and I am hiring a car in the UK on our next visit and I have been told, by the hire car company, that I need an IDP. Looking at the Greek government website you have to go to a local office of THE AUTOMOBILE AND TOURING CLUB OF GREECE (ΕLPΑ)

Has anyone done this yet and is it a fairly simple process?

Kilkis

Re: International Driving Permit

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 am

I would query this with the hire car company. As far as I am aware the UK government has decided to continue recognising EU driving licences without requiring an IDP. Refer them to this page, which states:

Driving in the UK

If you have a non-UK licence

How you can drive in the UK will not change after Brexit.

While it does not explicitly mention IDPs, you don't need an IDP now with an EU licence and it says "How you can drive in the UK will not change after Brexit." so you shouldn't need one then.

Warwick

PS If the hire company insist, this page shows what is required in Greece and contact details for ELPA. I think the fee is much higher than in the UK? I seem to recall €50+ for one year validity and €80+ for three year validity but I could be wrong. You could try asking at KEP.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:34 pm

I had a look at my rental car agreement for October, i.e. returning the car on 30th and returning to Greece on 31st. It's an early morning flight so there is a good chance of getting back into Greece before midnight when they close and padlock the door even if there is some delay. It does contain the following condition:

1.2 Licence must be in Roman letters, Latin alphabet or accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP). IDP’s must be accompanied by the national drivers licence.

Your hire company may have a similar condition and may be treating it too literally? While it is true that the Greek licence does contain Greek letters, e.g. ΑΔΕΙΑ ΟΔΗΓΗΣΗΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΔΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ, it is in exactly the same format as a UK licence. Looking at the symbols on the back it is clearly a driving licence and GR superimposed on the EU flag in the top left corner is the recognised symbol for Greece. All the information is next to numbers that are the same as the UK numbers as far as I am aware. Your name should be in the Latin alphabet. Virtually everything else is either numbers, e.g. dates, or symbols. Mine has been accepted multiple times by several different hire car companies over a 14 year period with no IDP.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:00 pm

Yeah I hired a car in the UK last year with my Greek licence ...and the small print said the same thing about needing a IDP ..so I rang them and they said not to worry ...it would be fine ..I got the guy I spoke to to give me his name and mobile number and he was happy to do that....when I picked up the car at Gatport Airwick ...I handed them my Greek licence he gave me the keys no problem....

paulineb

Postby paulineb » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:09 am

I am hiring a car near to where my daughter lives, where I have hired from before. Initially they said I didn't need an IDP, but did need 2 utility bills for proof of address. I then explained to them that they, not surprisingly, would be in Greek. At this point, she said she would have to contact the insurer. When she got back to me, she said that the insurer has said I would need an IDP and I can't pick the car up without one. I am only hiring with them as they are significantly cheaper than hiring a car at the airport. However, I think next time I will go for one at the airport. Having said that, I have looked at Ts & Cs of car hire at the airport and all the ones I've seen say an IDP is required if the alphabet isn't Roman letters, Latin alphabet.
I have also seen some tTs & Cs which state the passport and driving licence must be issued in the same country!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:11 am

Have hired umpteen cars in the UK on my Greek driving licence and never once been asked for anything - utility bills, IDP or anything else. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:35 am

When Easyrentacar first set up they were a physical car rental company. They had a fleet of Mercedes A Class cars gaudily emblazoned with their logo but they were cheap and I hired from them quite often. They did always ask for proof of address and accepted a bank statement, not a credit card statement. Eventually they stopped doing physical rentals and changed into a car hire booking site for the other rental companies. I have never been asked for proof of address or an IDP by any other car rental company. I mostly use Green Motion if I fly into Gatwick and Easirent, not part of the Easy group, if I fly into Stansted but I have also used Avis, Europcar, Budget and Thrifty. Avis and Budget are now the same company trading under different names.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”