Is Sternes Akrotiri good to build a home?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Roberts2019

Is Sternes Akrotiri good to build a home?

Postby Roberts2019 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 pm

Hello,

Can you share your knowledge or experience, pros and cons buying a plot and building a home in Sternes Akrotiri. Thank you

Kilkis

Re: Is Sternes Akrotiri good to build a home?

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:38 pm

A bit too close to the airport for my taste. Those F16s don't seem to have very good silencers on their exhausts.

Warwick

Roberts2019

Postby Roberts2019 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Kilkis wrote:A bit too close to the airport for my taste. Those F16s don't seem to have very good silencers on their exhausts.

Warwick

Hi Warwick, yeh its me again with questions :-) Is that why a plot of 5000sq meter is selling for 55000 Euros? Because its too close to the airport and the plot is full of big boulders ...

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:19 am

Close to the airport, but then so are other popular areas on Akrotiri. Sternes is not such a sought-after area as is Aroni nearby .. I would think that Greek buyers think it's just that little bit further out from town too.

Is it agricultural land outside the village limits? Too close to Souda Bay? .. sloping down towards Souda bay (Naval)? There are some restrictions Akrotiri side of Souda Bay I believe. You may need independant professional advice / searches.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:43 am

You can't just look at the size of the plot and the price. Where is the plot?

What you can do with the plot depends where it is located. Inside the village boundary there is a formula that calculates what size house you can build on the plot. You might be able to build a 200 sqm house on a 200 sqm plot or even smaller. Typically, immediately outside the village you need 2,000 sqm to build a 200 sqm house maximum. A little further outside the village you need 4,500 sqm to build a 200 sqm house maximum. Thus you might need to pay the same price for a 200 sqm plot inside the village boundary, a 2,000 sqm plot immediately outside the village boundary and a 4,500 sqm plot a bit further away from the village boundary.

I haven't the foggiest idea how much plots go for on Akrotiri. I know that when I bought, back in 2004, a plot inside the village boundary at Kounoupidiana was about double the price of the same size plot with the same size building permission as a plot in a village to the south west of Chania. As you might guess, I don't now live in Kounoupidiana. I don't know if it applies to Sternes but I was told, at the time, I would need to get security clearance in order to live in that area.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:25 am

Roberts2019 wrote:Hello,

Can you share your knowledge or experience, pros and cons buying a plot and building a home in Sternes Akrotiri. Thank you

It IS a bit close to the airport, although precisely where it is may help to avoid the flight-path noise of the F-16's. We live opposite the Akrotiri and those planes often fly low over here, making one helluva racket! Security clearance has been mentioned in some replies to your question, and we too had to have military clearance to build - but it was nothing more than a formality to be gone through. A hangover from the 'No Photography' signs along the southern edges of Souda Bay. It's all a bit academic when a Turkish frigate is taking its turn as the STANMEDFOR squadron of ships and leads the rest into the bay. They have no cameras, of course, so know nothing of the Greek 'defences'!

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”