Renting with pets

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Lollyk

Renting with pets

Postby Lollyk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:32 am

Firstly, sorry if this topic has already been covered. I did search but couldn't find anything.

So, we are considering renting in Crete prior to buying as we have no idea which area we like best. We are visiting again in a few days to check out more areas but wanted to know what our chances are of finding a rental that allows cats.
I am aware that there are a lot of strays in Crete and I'm sure we'll end up adopting a few of these if we do buy a property., so please don't tell me not to bring my cats. My cats are family and I'll not leave them behind.
If anyone would like to recommend a property agent that we could visit that would be great. We won't be moving till spring 2020 as our house has sold but hubby wants to use his season ticket to the max before he leaves his beloved team behind.
We want something away from the busy stuff but nothing inaccessible. Thank you :D Lorraine and Tim
P. S. Stayed in Chania last time and staying in Sissi this time.

Jeffstclair

Re: Renting with pets

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:55 am

There is a Facebook page called "Crete property for sale or rent "that is worth looking at ...

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi Lorraine, where are you thinking of renting. Most agents will know if pets are allowed, we have rented 2 properties in the last 9 years and brought 5 cats from the UK, so there are plenty that do allow pets.

rohima

Postby rohima » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:07 pm

It's always a good idea to ask locally. If you have friends in Sissi, ask them to enquire at their kafeneia, tavernas etc. You might also try posting on the Facebook page "Animal Lovers on Crete" which reaches a wide readership amongst animal welfare people on the island, some of whom may know of a place, or be able to guide you to an agent who will. Good luck!

Lollyk

Postby Lollyk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:There is a Facebook page called "Crete property for sale or rent "that is worth looking at ...

Thank you. I'll check it out in a minute :)

Lollyk

Postby Lollyk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:18 pm

peebee wrote:Hi Lorraine, where are you thinking of renting. Most agents will know if pets are allowed, we have rented 2 properties in the last 9 years and brought 5 cats from the UK, so there are plenty that do allow pets.

We haven't really settled on an area yet. When we visited in March we drove around Chania, Souda, Kissamos, coastal and inland. This time we are going to look at Sissi, Heraklion and Rethymno. We prefer quiet countryside rather than beach but we usual look for anything that reduces the risk of our cats getting squidged. Any suggestion will be added to our list of places to visit

Lollyk

Postby Lollyk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:19 pm

rohima wrote:It's always a good idea to ask locally. If you have friends in Sissi, ask them to enquire at their kafeneia, tavernas etc. You might also try posting on the Facebook page "Animal Lovers on Crete" which reaches a wide readership amongst animal welfare people on the island, some of whom may know of a place, or be able to guide you to an agent who will. Good luck!

Thanks. I'll check out the Facebook page now. We don't have an friends in Crete (yet) but I'll know all the cats and dogs within five minutes of landing :lol:

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:22 pm

Lollyk wrote:We haven't really settled on an area yet. When we visited in March we drove around Chania, Souda, Kissamos, coastal and inland. This time we are going to look at Sissi, Heraklion and Rethymno. We prefer quiet countryside rather than beach but we usual look for anything that reduces the risk of our cats getting squidged. Any suggestion will be added to our list of places to visit

I live in the Apokoronas region, it has towns and villages and there are quite a few rentals in the area. I live about 1km out of Kalyves, surrounded by acres of olive groves, so no squished cats.
Check out a couple of local agents http://www.minoan-properties.com/
https://www.crete-island.net/

Voni

Postby Voni » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:35 am

Just as a side issue I recently brought out my two cats from the UK in the cabin.....only Aegean allow them to travel with you under the seat - all other airlines from the UK that carry pets make them go into the hold. if you haven’t already booked your air travel and would like some hints and tips about the journey I’ll be happy to talk you through my experience....all went well thank goodness and the cats have settled in nicely.

I’m sure you will all have a happy time in Crete it is a beautiful island.

Lollyk

Postby Lollyk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:09 pm

Voni wrote:Just as a side issue I recently brought out my two cats from the UK in the cabin.....only Aegean allow them to travel with you under the seat - all other airlines from the UK that carry pets make them go into the hold. if you haven’t already booked your air travel and would like some hints and tips about the journey I’ll be happy to talk you through my experience....all went well thank goodness and the cats have settled in nicely.

Voni wrote:Just as a side issue I recently brought out my two cats from the UK in the cabin.....only Aegean allow them to travel with you under the seat - all other airlines from the UK that carry pets make them go into the hold. if you haven’t already booked your air travel and would like some hints and tips about the journey I’ll be happy to talk you through my experience....all went well thank goodness and the cats have settled in nicely.

Hi Vo i
Currently sat in a restaurant in Elonda working out our drive back to Sissi (not far). All hints and tips gratefully received. Would Agean Air allow 2 people to bring 4 cats do you think? We haven't booked yet as we need our house sale to complete first. I doubt we will arrive in Crete properly (

Lollyk

Postby Lollyk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi Voni
Sorry about the half message. I keep getting an error sayi g my IP address is blacklisted.
Anyway I'm now back at our hotel in Sissi using the hotel WiFi which seems to be working.
We've driven around agios nikolias, elonda etc today and me and hubby both prefer the Chania side of the island, much greener. We've not been to Kalyves yet but we did drive around quite a bit when we came over earlier this year.
Our house in the UK is sold but our buyers need to sell theirs. I doubt we will be moving till 2020 so we still have time to research and plan. We definatley don't want to live in a tourist area but I also don't want to be so remote that it takes two hours to drive for a pint of milk.
I'd like to fly our cats over in the cabin but not sure they'll allow 4 cats with 2 passengers?
Any hints and tips very welcome. Thanks :D

Voni

Postby Voni » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:32 pm

Have sent you a pm

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm

kissamos area is OK at the moment, the Kolimbari area where we have lived for the last 13 years is not bad but we live in Darmarohori about 5 to 10 kilometres from the main town, the more west you get the less touristy it gets, the area can be a little better as you move away from the main towns, hope you get what you want, we researched for 12 months before we decided, like you we wanted out of town but not far to go shopping.
Dave H

Lollyk

Postby Lollyk » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 pm

moved 2 crete wrote:kissamos area is OK at the moment, the Kolimbari area where we have lived for the last 13 years is not bad but we live in Darmarohori about 5 to 10 kilometres from the main town, the more west you get the less touristy it gets, the area can be a little better as you move away from the main towns, hope you get what you want, we researched for 12 months before we decided, like you we wanted out of town but not far to go shopping.

Darmarochori looks nice on satellite pictures. We are definatley going to rent first and do lots of research (as you did) before purchasing. We just have to wait for our house sale to complete now, and as you are probably aware that can take anything from 3 to 6 months in the UK

Voni

Postby Voni » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:03 am

Sent you a pm

Return to “General Discussion & News”