EHIC CARD LOST

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
OldCodgerTwo

EHIC CARD LOST

Postby OldCodgerTwo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 pm

Cannot find EHIC card!!I hadn`t seen it for six months and when I went to the hospital with urinal problems before I left could not find it. I phoned up the UK EHIC lost number and they won`t post it to Crete only to a UK address! I had always thought they would post abroad! They told me it had expired over the last sx months!

Jeffstclair

Re: EHIC CARD LOST

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Yeah a ehic card can only be sent to your home address...t'was ever thus ..

OldCodgerTwo

Postby OldCodgerTwo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Well they told me it had to be a UK address!! My home address is in Crete!

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Mine was something like two years out of date when I happened to check. I asked for a new one by phone, with some trepidation because I had no idea if the system was still the same, or if I'd have to fill in forms. A pleasant and helpful operative took my details and said the new card would be sent immediately to my home address. The same address as before. In Crete.
So: either they've changed the system, or the person at the other end was new and got it wrong. Might be worth trying again?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 am

It depends how you obtained the EHIC card. In general there are two possibilities:

1 You are a UK State Pensioner, you requested an S1 form and registered with IKA/EOPYY and IKA/EOPYY have sent part two of the form back to the UK to prove you are registered. In that case the UK know that you live in Greece and that they are responsible for issuing you with an EHIC card so they will send it to your address in Crete. I think that this is Clio's case.
    2 You do not qualify for a UK State Pension and/or have never informed NHS/DWP that you are permanently resident in Crete, you have never requested an S1 form and you are not registered with IKA/EOPYY. In that case you are not really entitled to an EHIC card. You have either been using one that was issued to you before you left the UK or you have obtained one by pretending to still be resident in the UK so the NHS will only send the card to the UK address they think you live at. The fact that you need the EHIC to get treatment in Greece rather than a Greek health book suggests that you are in this category?

The NHS is only responsible for your healthcare if you are permanently resident in the UK or living abroad as a UK State Pensioner. If you are living abroad but not as a UK State Pensioner, or have not gone through the S1 procedure, then NHS is not responsible for your healthcare and you are not really entitled to an EHIC, although many people get one by pretending to be permanently resident in the UK.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:40 pm

There is a number on the card which is the important bit. It's the same on a renewed card. Do you have a record of this. Mine is saved to phone. Good luck with your EHIC. If Crete us happy to accept them then I don't see why we shouldn't use them especially if you are like me in limbo land before I receive a state pension. I think we are perfectly entitled to NHS funded care!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:36 pm

BST wrote:...I think we are perfectly entitled to NHS funded care!!

You may well think that but it doesn't make it correct. Under UK law only UK residents and UK State Pensioners are entitled to NHS care. There are a few other groups that can get it, usually temporarily but they are getting less all the time. From this UK Government web site about half way down, my emphasis in red:

Early retirees

If you're moving abroad on a permanent basis, you'll no longer be entitled to medical treatment in the UK under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system.

Most people will also not be entitled to use a UK-issued EHIC card to access healthcare abroad.

The odd exemptions are nannies for up to 12 months and armed forces and their families posted abroad.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:07 pm

The EHIC had been accepted here so far. When I applied for resident permit it was accepted as health insurance. That's good enough for me. I am retired. Why should this be another penalty because I wasn't born a couple of years earlier and have to wait for my State pension for 6 years longer than many retired people here?!? Don't get me started on inequality!! Incidentally, whatever the red writing says, I have paid NI all my working life. No breaks. No benefits. If the EHIC goes with Brexit I will be seriously mad!!!!!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:25 pm

BST wrote:The EHIC had been accepted here so far. When I applied for resident permit it was accepted as health insurance. That's good enough for me. I am retired. Why should this be another penalty because I wasn't born a couple of years earlier and have to wait for my State pension for 6 years longer than many retired people here?!? Don't get me started on inequality!! Incidentally, whatever the red writing says, I have paid NI all my working life. No breaks. No benefits. If the EHIC goes with Brexit I will be seriously mad!!!!!

Does it matter? In the latest letter from NHS BSA it clearly states that in the event of a no-deal BREXIT, "if you are planning to visit another country in the EU after Brexit, without an arrangement between the UK and the country you are travelling to, you will not be able to rely on your UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

The way things are going, on 31st October without a deal, our EHIC cards will be worthless from 1 November 2019. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

BST

Postby BST » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Your right Bob. Makes me sick as a parrot! I can't see why they will continue to cover S1 people (maybe only for 6 months of course) but are taking away the EHIC!!!! So mean and unfair.....AGAIN!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:20 pm

Yeah I signed up for a re-placement EHIC card today ...I had an old one that expired in 2009 linked to my old UK address ...but now I have a UK state pension and an S1 I can get one linked to my Greek address ...the guy I spoke to was very helpful and said it will be posted by the end of the week ...I really don't know if it is going to be any use after October , but it was easy to get and free...

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:59 pm

BST wrote:Your right Bob. Makes me sick as a parrot! I can't see why they will continue to cover S1 people (maybe only for 6 months of course) but are taking away the EHIC!!!! So mean and unfair.....AGAIN!

The EHIC was only ever meant for emergency treatment for visitors. It sounds to me like you've got away with using it for everyday treatment because the people you were dealing with didn't understand the system or couldn't be bothered to argue.

I'm not saying you gamed the system deliberately, just that you seem to have got the wrong impression about EHIC.

BST

Postby BST » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:34 pm

Actually Glen nowhere in the small print of the original info about EHICs did it say "emergency treatment". The wording was quite different and very ambiguous and open to interpretation. If EHICs were purely for emergency treatment of holiday makers, why have holiday insurance? I have certainly not used my EHIC for everyday treatment. I have paid for everything to do with healthcare over the last 10 years except the hospital cost for a major operation which would have cost far more in the UK. All the associated costs I paid for before, during and post operative. I don't think that's abusing the system. I'm sure the medical services in Crete understand EHICs as they issue them as well!!
Ps it was the Doctors HERE who suggested I used my EHIC knowing that I needed an operation and couldn't afford to go privately. I WOULD NOT HAVE THOUGHT OF IT!! I feel quite insulted by your insinuation.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 am

BST wrote:Your right Bob. Makes me sick as a parrot! I can't see why they will continue to cover S1 people (maybe only for 6 months of course) but are taking away the EHIC!!!! So mean and unfair.....AGAIN!

I think the card is an EU benefit. Don't think it's in the gift of the UK government to continue it unilaterally.

Andrew

BST

Postby BST » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:24 am

I think the card is an EU benefit. Don't think it's in the gift of the UK government to continue it unilaterally.

Andrew[/quote]

Both paid for by NHS not the EU so fundamentally what's the difference?

Return to “General Discussion & News”