EHIC CARD LOST

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
BST

Re: EHIC CARD LOST

Postby BST » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:24 am

I think the card is an EU benefit. Don't think it's in the gift of the UK government to continue it unilaterally.

Andrew[/quote]

Both paid for by NHS not the EU so fundamentally what's the difference?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 am

No, it is not an EU benefit but both S1 and EHIC are part of an EU system set up under an EU Directive. If the UK leaves the EU it leaves all the EU systems. That is what people wanted isn't it?

Slightly off topic I did find the part of Johnson's speech a couple of days ago referring to the ground breaking research in fusion reactors being carried out at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy (CCFE) highly amusing. He seemed to portray it as a purely UK project In fact there are two main projects there, MAST and JET aimed at developing fusion reactors that can be used commercially to produce clean energy. MAST is UK led but is part UK funded and part EU funded. JET stands for Joint European Torus and is an EU project funded by Euratom. Obviously the UK makes its contribution to Euratom, like all the other countries involved, but it is not a UK project. Projects like JET, and possibly MAST, are exactly the sort of projects that are put at risk by Brexit. The research is not only carried out by UK scientists but also by hundreds of other scientists, mainly from the EU. If the projects are successful both the UK and the EU would benefit from the cooperation. Now there's a novel idea - cooperating with other countries for the benefit of all. I'm surprised somebody hasn't thought of that before?

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:11 pm

BST wrote:Both paid for by NHS not the EU so fundamentally what's the difference?

It's a reciprocal benefit.

But, more to the immediate point, it isn't designed for permanent expat residents, just visitors. You might have been lucky to be able to use it but you can't expect that luck to continue and certainly have no grounds for complaint.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:31 pm

As Warwick says it is not an EU benefit. It was 'foisted on' the UK being an EU law with which the UK was compelled as a member of the EU, to offer to UK citizens. So, not one of 'our' laws. As has been said, that's what the EU referendum was all about, taking control of our own laws. Tough. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:04 pm

bobscott wrote:As Warwick says it is not an EU benefit. It was 'foisted on' the UK being an EU law with which the UK was compelled as a member of the EU, to offer to UK citizens. So, not one of 'our' laws. As has been said, that's what the EU referendum was all about, taking control of our own laws. Tough. Bob.

I have responded to this comment in the healthcare thread on the Brexit board.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 pm

GlenB I have plenty of grounds for complaint. I don't think you really grasp the change in the state pension age and all that entails or to make matters worse, the impact of Brexit. When we moved to Crete we knew we couldn't swap over healthcare until our state pension age of 66. Bad enough to have to wait for something others were entitled to 6 years beforehand and pay for healthcare others have had for free.
With Brexit, that might now never happen!! I have every right to complain but obviously on you have a holier than though attitude so I'm wasting my writing time. End of...... Watch you don't fall off your pulpit!

Saddler

Postby Saddler » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 pm

So BST you think that you are 'perfectly entitled to NHS care', 'whatever the red lines say'. Unbelievable. I think the clue is in the statement 'the NHS is a residence -based health care system'.

An EHIC card is clearly for European residents VISITING other EU countries not to be used and abused by ex pat permanent residents. You have answered your own gripe in admitting you knew you were not entitled to healthcare! Sorry, but you have absolutely no right to complain and it makes me 'seriously mad' that you think you do.

BST

Postby BST » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Saddler, you haven't read all my comments. The writing in red wasn't there a few years ago. It's changed. Plus I've actually saved the NHS money.
The operation would have cost more in the UK under the NHS than in Crete hospital according to a surgeon who has worked for the NHS.
Last edited by BST on Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:06 pm

BST wrote:Saddler, you haven't read all my comments. The writing in red wasn't there a few years ago. It's changed.

As far as I am aware the NHS has always been a residence based healthcare scheme and EHIC was never intended to be used by people who had moved permanently abroad, although many people have stayed registered with NHS in the UK and used a UK issued EHIC to obtain healthcare in Greece. EHIC was introduced in 2004 and it replaced the following schemes that were in use before EHIC:

E110 - For international road hauliers
    E111 - For tourists
    E119 - For unemployed people/job seekers
    E128 - For students and workers in another member state

Note that none of the schemes that EHIC replaced dealt with early retirees. Three other schemes, E106, E109 and E121 were replaced by the S1 form in 2010.

One of those schemes, I cannot remember if it was S1/E106 or S1/E109, was for early retirees, i.e. those retiring before UK State Pension age, which provided them with healthcover for a limited period of time, up to 2 years depending on NI contributions and when in the tax year they relocated, but that was abandoned by the UK government in 2015. I know people who retired early to Greece and got temporary cover through S1/E106 or S1/E109 but then had to take out private medical insurance when that cover ended until they will qualify for an S1/E121. Apart from the loss of that temporary cover nothing has changed.

It is quite possible that the Greek authorities would quite properly accept an EHIC as proof of healthcover when applying for a Residence Certificate. A Residence Certificate is required if you stay longer than 3 months. It would be perfectly possible for a UK citizen to spend 8 months, say, in the UK and 4 months in Greece. They would be regarded as ordinarily resident in the UK and so entitled to NHS healthcare and an NHS issued EHIC but would also require a Greek Residence Certificate. The fact that the Greek authorities accepted the card is no indication that the card is valid. The Greek authorities have no way of knowing if the card was issued fraudulently or not. Anybody living permanently in Greece and obtaining an EHIC by staying registered with the NHS by using a UK address is certainly breaking the NHS rules and is lying on an official government application form. Not something I would recommend doing.

Warwick

PS Please note that I have no influence over the UK government and I am not responsible for the decisions made by that government. Every single decision any government makes anywhere in the world will adversely affect somebody. I simply try to report as accurately as I can what the position is. If you are adversely affected by any of the issues discussed in this post please complain to the government - don't blame me.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:17 pm

BST wrote:Saddler, you haven't read all my comments. The writing in red wasn't there a few years ago. It's changed. Plus I've actually saved the NHS money.
The operation would have cost more in the UK under the NHS than in Crete hospital according to a surgeon who has worked for the NHS.

I had a hip replacement op here, privately, 3 weeks ago. Cost under €6000, UK insurance co. prepared to pay up to £15000, Says it all.

I did get my money back!

Bob

BST

Postby BST » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:31 pm

And mine was done in state hospital. A provide everything yourself job, which I did. Bargain from a NHS point of view!
All the best Bob for a speedy recovery.

Saddler

Postby Saddler » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:26 am

'Anybody living permanently in Greece and obtaining an EHIC by staying registered with the NHS by using a UK address is certainly breaking the NHS rules and is lying on an official government application form'.

There are obviously some people who do. No doubt many of them are the type who constantly carp about the UK and 'couldn't wait to leave'.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 pm

BST wrote:And mine was done in state hospital. A provide everything yourself job, which I did. Bargain from a NHS point of view!
All the best Bob for a speedy recovery.

Thanks BST!

Return to “General Discussion & News”