Kandilakia/Eikonostasia of Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
corourke

Kandilakia/Eikonostasia of Crete

Postby corourke » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Hello everyone, on a trip to Crete a few years ago, I was fascinated by the beautiful little shrines that dot the roadsides and how they fit into the landscape. I find them to be such a lovely and idiosyncratic thing and would love to learn more about them. I work as a journalist and would love to write a story about the shrines and how they fit into Crete's culture and scenery.

However information is rather sparse, and best received from someone who lives this reality. Which brings me to you guys! Do any of you have personal experience with these shrines, or know someone who could talk to me about the tradition? Unfortunately, I don't speak Greek, so I realize that this might be somewhat difficult. But I thought I would ask just in case.

Here are some photos I took just so this isn't a complete waste of your time! Thank you so much!

Kilkis

Re: Kandilakia/Eikonostasia of Crete

Postby Kilkis » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:55 pm

They are commemorating someone who has died in a road accident at that spot. People also erect them in their gardens to commemorate someone who has died.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:00 pm

............. and some of them are parish boundary markers. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

corourke

Postby corourke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:45 am

Does anyone know who makes them?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:25 pm

The concrete/stone ones are available from the sort of places selling big barbecues and wood ovens. I would guess any blacksmith wood supply the metal ones but I don't know for sure.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”