Car rental - Excess Damage Waiver

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Howard

Car rental - Excess Damage Waiver

Postby Howard » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:04 pm

I will be renting a car from Sixt for one week. Does it make sense to pay for their Excess Damage Waiver? Any idea what it costs? Thanks.

filippos

Re: Car rental - Excess Damage Waiver

Postby filippos » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:35 pm

I always took out an excess protection/waiver policy with one of the UK Excess Insurance companies. Unless the system has changed if you have an accident and excess comes into play you still have to pay the rental car company and reclaim the amount of excess from the UK insurer. Essentially all you need to do is report to the insurer when the situation arises and formally lodge your claim on return from your trip with proof of the amount of excess you had to pay.

If you rent a vehicle more than once a year it's worth considering an annual policy* (cost about £55 or so) as two single event policies will cost more. Most of the UK policies also cover items that CDW doesn't cover which can be costly - replacement glass e.g. windows or windscreen, lost keys etc. Buy the insurance in the UK from an independent insurer, not the rental company as they tend to be (much) more expensive. Most policies are pan-European.

* The company I used to use covered an unlimited number of rentals and claims but there was a ceiling on the total amount claimed during the term of the policy. When I was renting the annual limit was about £7,500 but I haven't rented here or outside Greece for several years so that has likely changed.

Google "Hire car excess insurance" and you should find plenty of choice. I found the peace of mind worth the cost.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:55 pm

I agree with Filippos. Independent excess insurance is much cheaper than paying the hire company to reduce the excess. The downside is that many of the companies providing this cover no longer include Greek residents. I had to use WorldwideInsure.com which was more expensive than companies I had used previously but still worth it.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:07 pm

My travelinsurance covers this. So does the use of one of my creditcards.

DJ

Postby DJ » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:45 pm

I think I am right in saying that Athenscars , available from Heraklion and Chania, have no excess at all - everything is covered including tyres and underneath. I have used them for years - always reliable.

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:43 am

Totally agree and always have an annual excess policy . There is a another company that provides cover for EU residents I get my general Travel Insurance through Globelink

https://www.globelink.co.uk/collision-d ... rance.html

Although if you are resident in the UK there are cheaper suppliers but an alternative for Greek Residents

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am

Useful to have another choice since many seem to be dropping out of covering Greek residents. Price is similar to WorldWideInsure.

Warwick

Clunegapyears.com

Postby Clunegapyears.com » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:04 pm

If you go the annual policy route, check the number of days. Our policy is 31 day contract, but no limit to the number of contracts.

Cake

Postby Cake » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20 pm

I always used automatis if I spelled it correctly, u pay more but you dont have to worry. I dont like to worry. :)
U can pay cash if you want, so there isn't a surprise on your credit card when u get home. Very nice & helpfull people, they bring cars to the weirdest places, for example to tiny village on the south side. Not sure they still do that though.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:03 pm

I think there are two conversations going on here, Cake. Most of the people commenting are resident in Crete with their own cars here. They are talking about hiring a car when they go back to the UK or to another EU country. There are now quite high claim excess limits on these hires, e.g. £1,500 on a pretty average car. The hire company will offer a much lower excess, e.g. £200, but charge you a high fee on top of the hire charge. It is cheaper to take out a separate insurance policy which covers you for any excess you have to pay in the event of a claim.

You and DJ are talking about hiring a car in Crete. Here the insurance situation is very different so the excess insurance is not necessarily relevant. In any case, often (always?) these excess insurance policies do not cover you for hires in your country of residence.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”